Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo alternator compatible

DDHBUSH

Hi. My alternator on my 2007 MK3 2.0 tdci Mondeo has failed. I was looking at a used one and am confused as the old alternator number is 1S7T BD which I am having trouble finding locally. Some companies have said I can use a 1S7T BC which are plentiful but others say you can't use them.

I have searched the internet and this forum but cannot find an answer can anyone help please.

Thanking you in anticipation 

Hey! It could just be you need new brushes! I bought some from eBay to fit, and here's a link to a guide on changing them. 

https://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/Alternator_Rebuild_-_Visteon_IS7T

You have to be careful to get the correctly rated alternator for the tdci - it's quite high - 125 amps or so, whereas the more commonly available ones deliver much less power, so hang onto your existing alternator if you can as a proper replacement is really expensive. 

If anyone knows how to tell the rating of the Visteon alternator by its variant,  could they share it with us, ta! 

Thanks for information. The alternator has burnt out when I started it after it had not been used for a while. I did wonder about stripping it.

When I check price of new alternator via a well known car parts supplier it said 90 amp

Then that's not for you! 

Have a look on catcar.info and type in your vin to see what it says about your alternator requirement. 

Actually, I've just had a look, and the Ford part number of the alternator for the TDCi is 1904976. Looking quickly on Google, I saw this alternator for sale that's the correct rating (124 amp) is this one as per screenshot. 

Here's the url to that site:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/1904976.html

IMG_20230831_213431.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks nicam49 couple off usful  links.  I confirmed part number but that returned multi amp output from 90 up.

I would still love to know what the designation BD and BC mean and if they are interchangeable as they seam to fit and surely an alternator can't be that different. It only has 3 +1 leads out of it.

46 minutes ago, DDHBUSH said:

surely an alternator can't be that different. It only has 3 +1 leads out of it.

That's a bit like saying all human blood can't be that different because its all red. 🤔

There are many different types of alternator. They are not all interchangeable. As already discussed the output ampage is one of the main things to be considered. There is also the smart charge controller, some have 3 wires some only have one. Also the minimum RPM that the alternator can maintain an output and the size and type of the pulley.

What the difference is between the BD and the BC is I couldn't tell you other than the BD seems to be mostly only fitted to the Mondeo diesel around 2005 to 2008. Quite a number of used ones can be found on eBay for about £50

• Like 2

That's why I was happy to share that link and screenshot with you as it confirms what I originally said about the required amperage for the TDCi. Probably loads more 90amp ones available at breakers as there were lots more petrol Mondeos made and subsequently scrapped. Winter is approaching, so you'll need the proper rated alternator if you're intending to use your Mondeo.. Also invest in a battery charger to give the battery a maintenance charge occasionally in those winter months. 

Many thanks for all the points raised which I cannot argue with the logic. I have to say I thought it would be easy get the right alternator or equivalent i.e. almost any Alternator that came from a MK3 2.0 TDCi Mondeo but life is not always as easy as it seems.

I have now ordered the right alternator as far as I can see.

Thankyou for all your help. I will continue to look on the site, who knows I might be able to assist someone on an older car.

Dennis 

• Like 1

I was going to suggest that maybe your existing alternator only has a faulty diode pack which can, I think, be replaced - think I've seen them in my Google searches. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club