Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fusion 1.6 tdci, limp mode with no obd codes

stevads61

i,m in wales with the ridiculous 20mph limit.

even before that my wifes 1.6 tdci 2008 would get the steady red light and flashing orange cog light on the dash and go into limp mode, making acceleration slower but you can still get up to 70mph. it doesnt bring up any obd codes and is sometimes intermittent so when not showing i could go up the bypass at speed to blow it thru.

now after the 20mph B/S the fault is showing almost permanently,  and this will affect any diesels just doing short journeys

i,m changing the egr valve and have been looking for an o2 sensor but cannot find one anywhere online, it may be different to the 1.4 tdci sensor.

fusion diesels just have the egr and a cat up to 2010 i think.  i,ve heard of garages charging £500 just to clean a dpf

there is nothing about this on any forums that i can find,

after diagnosing with obd and no codes showing, i can erase any saved emmision related data but that doesnt always switch the lights off..

if all else fails i,m going to remove the cat, block up the bottom end and fill with boiling water and strong detergent for my own cleaning method, then blow it through.

in the picture the engine isnt running so the oil  and mil (engine symbol) lights go out when running.

i have now got the mrs an 09 1.4tdci and we,ll see how long it takes to get the same problem but i will be giving it a regular blast on the bypass.

anyone else with the same problem.

fusion warning lights.12,23,.jpg

On 1/6/2024 at 11:59 PM, stevads61 said:

i,m in wales with the ridiculous 20mph limit.

even before that my wifes 1.6 tdci 2008 would get the steady red light and flashing orange cog light on the dash and go into limp mode, making acceleration slower but you can still get up to 70mph. it doesnt bring up any obd codes and is sometimes intermittent so when not showing i could go up the bypass at speed to blow it thru.

now after the 20mph B/S the fault is showing almost permanently,  and this will affect any diesels just doing short journeys

i,m changing the egr valve and have been looking for an o2 sensor but cannot find one anywhere online, it may be different to the 1.4 tdci sensor.

fusion diesels just have the egr and a cat up to 2010 i think.  i,ve heard of garages charging £500 just to clean a dpf

there is nothing about this on any forums that i can find,

after diagnosing with obd and no codes showing, i can erase any saved emmision related data but that doesnt always switch the lights off..

if all else fails i,m going to remove the cat, block up the bottom end and fill with boiling water and strong detergent for my own cleaning method, then blow it through.

in the picture the engine isnt running so the oil  and mil (engine symbol) lights go out when running.

i have now got the mrs an 09 1.4tdci and we,ll see how long it takes to get the same problem but i will be giving it a regular blast on the bypass.

anyone else with the same problem.

fusion warning lights.12,23,.jpg

Picked up the same problem with my 2006 Fiesta 1.6 TDCi, same dash layout as yours,  also no codes but that "cog" light just doesn`t wanna disappear 😞 

See my post under the Fiesta Club called "Powertrain Malfunction"

Hope you come right, I will revert back if I do...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

may.24. re 2008 ford fusion 1.6tdci, in previous limp mode post i thought it was all down to the egr, i then bought a better obd, a think diag  bluetooth with full scan functions inc key  and immo  programming. which i,ve used several times on different vehicles.

this showed the limp mode was due to a glowplug control circuit problem, i changed the relay with no difference then did a continuity check on glowplugs, all were open circuit so are faulty but i think theres actually a short in the wiring because the loom is tight to the hot egr pipe so i,m going to disconnect all the plugs and test further. these fords done even need the glowplugs unless it,s sub zero

back to the egr problems i mentioned i also have an 09 1.4tdci, it only took 2 months of the welsh BS 20mph limits to bring up the egr problem on this one as well. a single red light without it going into limp mode, 

dtc 0404 which is egr valve range, this means that the valve is not opening or closing the full distance, these are the electric valves and at 1st glance appear to be the same on the 1.6-1.4d but are not, the head is in a different position. i fitted a new egr on the 08, then cleaned and tested the original electrically to fit on the 1.4.

they are 5 pin and have a position sensor with a 5v input from the ecu, when i fitted the repaired 1.6 valve to the 1.4, i couldnt fit the fuel filter so had to clean the 1.4 original valve to refit.

with the valve closed the return pin has 1v, valve open it,s 4.5v,     the pins are, 1=5v + reference, 2= solenoid 12v, -, 3= solenoid 12v,+, 4= reference v, out, 5= ref ground.  unless you have a spare cut off wiring plug it is difficult to test, i used separate wire crimp bootlace ferrules and you need the separate 5 and 12v supplies.                    also the solenoid is a single pulse to open / close by reversing polarity and may also be variable to control the amount of opening, + at pin 3 opens then reverse for + at pin 2 to close. you can see the valve disc through the outlet hole when open.

the cause of the problem is simple, soot gets past the shaft bearing up into the solenoid chamber which has a tapered slot and pin so just clean and oil, also clean the exhaust in/out sections. when refitting the solenoid head to the valve, hold valve upside down so it,s closed and theres 2 thin O-rings on the head and a fork to engage with the pin, the head will only fit one way.

there is no flow sensing on the fusion egr so as long as it,s working you can then blank it off at the engine side with no warning lights. 

another difference on my 08/09, the 09 has a water cooled jacket and the 08. 1.6 doesnt.

ford 5 pin egr wiring..png

IMG_20240510_163150.jpg

IMG_20240511_104417.jpg

IMG_20240510_163107.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club