Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car not starting not cranking at all

zerozerozero

Hello everyone

My car won't start today when I tried not sure why was fine on friday going to work and back.

When I try to start it. it wont crank, lights come up and everything else. I've watched a few vids on youtube 

Going to try jump start it tomorrow but if not I will try replace the fuse and relay.  https://prnt.sc/HMeuoTuT1xWk 

going to replace starter replay 30 A, Powertrain Control Module 7.5A and Relay 3 Power control module.

Does anyone know what part this Power control module for relay 3 is? I can't seem to find it online atm 

https://prnt.sc/ma3FBIVxuep8

It just says 15321 1A on the top. 

Has anyone had this issue before? I hope its not something major. I just bought a second car so don't actually need this right now but would like to fix and get rid of it 

I would first check battery voltage...earth strap to body..voltage to starter motor..

Have had any lights on dash or starting trouble

Dan

I jumped started the car and it works now, scared it will not turn again and leave me stranded tho 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zerozerozero said:

I jumped started the car and it works now, scared it will not turn again and leave me stranded tho 

Many of us own a small jump starter for exactly this reason.  I can personally recommend the Noco GB40.

If you do lots of short journeys or leave the car parked for days at a time then it's probably worth replacing the battery.

From cars I've worked on and owned to me sounds like the starter motor is slowly dying..hopefully not

Glad it started ok

It couldn't start again today there was like a buzzing noise and dash was flashing think the battery died.

I drived it about 20mins yesterday after jump starting

Normally I do drives around 40mins+ at a time because of work and anywhere else i go is usaully that length.

Going to jump start again in the morning, hopefully won't leave me stranded.

I'm going to try these fuses/relays then if thats not the issue change the battery. Does anyone have links to decent affordable batteries? 

Also I bought a obd2 reader arriving tomorrow would this show up for problems relating this issue? thanks 

Very doubtful!  Will most likely only read generic OBD fault codes. You really need one that speaks Ford, and runs with a very useful software called Forscan. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what size battery your Fiesta takes.  I'd assume smaller than the Focus.  So if you can confirm that for us, that'd be great.

Tayna is generally the cheapest place, unless you have discount at Halfords or similar.  Car Batteries - Motorcycle Batteries - Leisure Batteries - Cheap Prices! (tayna.co.uk)

I took the car to Halfords free battery health check they said it's just a dead battery quoted 170 to change. I'm looking online because my car has stop/start do I need the agr battery or can I fit any other cheaper ones in? I don't care about start/stop function though just wondering if it works because the agr one is more expensive 

Thanks

4 minutes ago, zerozerozero said:

I took the car to Halfords free battery health check they said it's just a dead battery quoted 170 to change. I'm looking online because my car has stop/start do I need the agr battery or can I fit any other cheaper ones in? I don't care about start/stop function though just wondering if it works because the agr one is more expensive 

Thanks

Your battery needs to be EFB not AGM.  Please post a picture of the numbers on top of it so we can confirm the size needed.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm not sure what size battery your Fiesta takes.  I'd assume smaller than the Focus.  So if you can confirm that for us, that'd be great.

Tayna is generally the cheapest place, unless you have discount at Halfords or similar.  Car Batteries - Motorcycle Batteries - Leisure Batteries - Cheap Prices! (tayna.co.uk)

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/halfords-efb100-start-stop-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-255854.html

On Halfords website this is the only one that comes up when I search my number plate 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/car-battery

And this one for eurocar parts

My bad didn't mean AGM thought it was something else will update when I'm home later, at work ATM. Will look at my owners manual 

Halfords website is often wrong, that's why it's better for us to see the actual battery fitted to your car.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

If you want a direct equivalent to the 100EFB shown on Halfords website.

This Exide is under £100 delivered.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/el652/

I took a picture 

Wow this website is half the price of Halfords 🤣

Screenshot_20240117-183841.png

• Thanks 1

theres nothing useful in my owners manual saying what size/type battery. all it says is

"changing 12v battery - warning for vehicles with auto start stop the battery requirement is different you must replace the battery with one of exactly the same specification."

54 minutes ago, zerozerozero said:

I took a picture 

Wow this website is half the price of Halfords 🤣

Screenshot_20240117-183841.png

That is a size 100 battery

And it does need to be EFB, even if you don't use the stop/start.  (The alternator charges EFB batteries a bit differently to standard ones).

So the one I linked above will be fine.  Or if you want to look for others, just make sure they're 100 & EFB.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

That is a size 100 battery. 

And it does need to be EFB, even if you don't use the stop/start.  (The alternator charges EFB batteries a bit differently to standard ones).

So the one I linked above will be fine.  Or if you want to look for others, just make sure they're 100 & EFB.

okay thank you very much for your help Tom 🙂 I'm going to order that one, just wasn't sure if the sizes was correct because it said 60AH and i went to look at those sizes and its smaller. But im guessing the 100 is the size instead 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zerozerozero said:

okay thank you very much for your help Tom 🙂 I'm going to order that one, just wasn't sure if the sizes was correct because it said 60AH and i went to look at those sizes and its smaller. But im guessing the 100 is the size instead 

No problem. 

100 is the physical size that fits your battery box.  278mmx175mmx175mm.

60AH is the current capacity of the battery.  The replacement is 65Ah so should be longer lasting.

590 is the cold cranking amps, effectively how much torque it can provide the starter motor.  The replacement is 650CCA, so should be able to spin the starter motor a bit more quickly.

You can always go up with AH & CCA, as long as the battery physically fits in the box. :smile: 

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

No problem. 

100 is the physical size that fits your battery box.  278mmx175mmx175mm.

60AH is the current capacity of the battery.  The replacement is 65Ah so should be longer lasting.

590 is the cold cranking amps, effectively how much torque it can provide the starter motor.  The replacement is 650CCA, so should be able to spin the starter motor a bit more quickly.

You can always go up with AH & CCA, as long as the battery physically fits in the box. :smile: 

thanks ive placed an order should come in a few days, sadly my car couldnt jump start today this morning have been more frosty. 

Going to try fit it my self doesnt look too hard 

• Like 1

Replaced the battery now was a pain to get it out, I didn't remove the air filter box so it was a tight space 💀 and the blue wire for the negative cable couldn't be undone. But other than that it was fine, car started fine did the BMS reset fog light and hazard light and saw the battery flash three times on dash. Going to take it on a drive now.

Is that all I need to do when replacing a battery?

I read some people fully charged it before putting it in which I didn't do

So I'm unsure how much charge do these batteries come when delivered 

• Like 1

Well done. :biggrin:

Batteries come almost fully charged.  If you have a charger, it's good practice to top them up before fitting.  But if you don't have a charger, I really wouldn't worry about it.

• 3 months later...

I recently bought a fiesta and the battery dies after the first day, the mileage on the car is quite high but I wanted to be able to use the car for a bit. I jump started it and the next day it’s not starting again. There are no lights on the dash and it’s not making any effort to start, any idea. It’s 2009

You need to fit a new battery.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club