Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v socket

Nimrodmk8
聽Share

I'm thinking about buying a compressor to inflate my tyres, I use a foot pump at the moment, is the 12v socket always live, or would I need to start the engine for it to work, thanks.

The 12V socket switches off after a set amount of time of the engine being off (or instantly if the battery is low).

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

The 12V socket switches off after a set amount of time of the engine being off (or instantly if the battery is low).

Thanks, Would that mean I have to start the engine to inflate the tyres

It's probably a good idea to do that anyway as these inflators pull quite a high current, especially as the modern cars are so sensitive to SOC.

• Like 5

You'll find the compressor works better with the engine running. The extra voltage can make quite the difference.

• Like 6

Just need ignition on.聽 But the inflator plus all modules awake with ignition on will drain the battery.

• Like 4

Thanks for your help, might just stick with the trusty old foot pump.馃檪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My goodness, last time I used a foot pump was the 1970s LOL You are really overthinking this. Just plug your compressor into your 12v socket, turn on the engine & let it idle, and pump your tires up. I've been doing it like that for decades.

• Like 4

My (cheap Chinese made) compressor is gradually losing efficiency.

A couple of days ago I got so fed up of waiting for the required pressure I gave up with the first tyre. Just wasting fuel.

Instead I decided to stop at a local filling station (Shell, nice modern machine, 拢1 for up to 7 minutes).

Have occasionally found ones that are free to use but of course there's no point in making a special trip.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I've been doing it like that for decades.

...but you're a very technical sort of guy, always at the forefront of the very latest technology 馃ぃ

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

...but you're a very technical sort of guy, always at the forefront of the very latest technology 馃ぃ

One of the most useful 'car gadgets' I ever got. Set the pressure on the gauge to what you want, switch on, and leave it till it stops...

michellin.thumb.jpg.a8b4f5874643cb13acb3e661a6ec70bc.jpg

• Like 4

These are super quick from flat.聽 Around 3 minutes from 5psi to 34psi.聽 After a flat on queens funeral, my last compressor giving up, nobody available to come out and help me, I purchased some of the patches for filling holes in tyres and one of these.聽 Run engine when using though or it'll flatten battery.

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RTC1000

RTC1000_01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club