Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have Ford changed the oil spec for the Mk2 1.6 Petrol?

AntonovAN12

I have used this Halfords 5W30 Semi-Synthetic in my Mk2 since I have had it. The manual says use 5W30 that meets WSS-M2C913-B which this is sold as being.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-5w30-n1-5l-215459.html

However Halfords, Shell and Comma oils now recommend 5W20 when I enter my reg.

Halfords recommends 5W20 Fully synthetic that meets Ford WSS-M2C925-A spec. Has this spec replaced WSS-M2C913-B?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-5w20-n16-2l-215187.html

Conveniently, Halfords only appear to list the 5W20 in a 2l Bottle that costs almost as much as 5l of the 5W30.

stick to what you know is fine 

Thanks for the reply. I will stick with the same type I have been using.

I do around 10k miles per year, both urban and motorway driving.

I normally have the oil and filter changed each year after passing the MOT.

• Like 2

On this topic, why are there so many different types of 5W30 oil?

A local motor spares place I have used for quite a long time sells Comma Oils.

My old car used 10W40 Semi-Synthetic. There was just one type of this oil on the shelf.

However there are at least six different types of 5W30 Fully Synthetic.

Some contain wetbelt degrading detergents. 

Some contain DPF filling SAPS. 

Some are designed to cling to parts more effectively with the engine off (generally labeled as start stop compatible).

Some include 'super slippery' compounds for lower engine drag while running, which can be the difference of a few g/km CO2 and a different road tax bracket.

Some are designed to be more robust for long life service intervals.

Each manufacturer has had the oil designed to their exact specification.  So although they're all 5w30 in weight, the additives will be different.

Really need to check for the exact manufacturers spec with modern cars on longlife servicing with wetbelts, high pressure turbos, stop start, variable valve timing, direct injection and particulate filters. 

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much on a 1.6 Zetec engine.

• Like 1

costco are doing a Castrol magnitec 5w30 that meets Ford specs  C and D

checking all the literature when it was made 5w30 ACEA A1 meeting Ford WSS-M2C913-B was the spec but when you hunt for that now everyone tries to sell you ACEA A5 - which is what the magantec stuff is at costco - was 34 quid for 5 litres

A/B: gasoline and diesel engine oils

ACEA A1/B1 Category is removed with the ACEA 2016 oil Sequences. From ACEA 2012: Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s for xW/20 and 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s for all other viscosity grades. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

ACEA A3/B3 Category is removed with the ACEA 2022 oil Sequences. From ACEA 2016: Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of Low Viscosity Oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the Engine Manufacturer.

ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

ACEA A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa*s. These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines - consult vehicle-OEM’s owner’s manual/handbook in case of doubt.

ACEA A7/B7 Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil intended for use at extended oil drain intervals in passenger car and light-duty gasoline and DI diesel engines designed for low viscosity engine oils with HTHS viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa*s.
Relative to A5/B5, these engine oils provide also low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) and wear protection for turbocharged gasoline DI engines, as well as turbocharger compressor deposit (TCCD) protection for modern DI diesel engines. These engine oils are unsuitable for use in certain engines – consult manufacturers’ owner manual/handbook in case of doubt.

Direct injection gets LSPI and it kills engines - A7 tries to stop the knock !

Magnetec.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ford WSS-M2C913-A, Ford WSS-M2C913-B, Ford WSS-M2C913-C or Ford WSS-M2C913-D are all compatible. D is backwards compatible with all the older engines so just match WSS-M2C913-D when sourcing oil and you'll be fine.

https://www.shell.co.uk/fuels-oils-and-coolants/shell-engine-oils/shell-helix-ultra-professional-af-5w-20.html

Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5W-20 for example, is for “Ecoboost” engines requiring WSS-M2C948-B and where API SN or ACEA A1/B1 are specified.  It's also backwards compatible with Ford engines with the following spec of WSS M2C913-B, M2C913-C or M2C925-A so you could technically put in any and be fine.

Also means Halfords is listing the correct spec for your engine.

Thanks for the replies.

Tesco sells this which is very cheap and claims to be compatible.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/314694826

The smaller 2l size bottles look identical to Halfords own brand.

Does anyone on here know who the supplier is?

It takes just under 4l. The next oil change is still a long way off yet.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club