Do Not Sell My Personal Information

is an ECU replacement pricey? (MK2 Mondeo)

Loofer

My mum's car (18 year old MK 2 Mondeo) has started randomly shutting down and the garage thinks it might be an ECU fault but they can't do a replacement, we're trying to figure out if it's worth replacing it as it may not actually fix the problem. Does anyone have any idea what a replacement would cost? (I'm based in Belfast)

7 minutes ago, Loofer said:

Does anyone have any idea what a replacement would cost?

I very much doubt that a brand new ECU would be available from Ford for an 18 year old Mondeo. If it was available and the work to fit and programme it was done by a Ford dealer you would be looking at a minimum of £800 but in all probability a lot more.

If you could find a 'good' used part of exactly the same number and had it fitted and programmed by an independent garage then it would possibly be £400 to £500.

What diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) does the car show when scanned using FORScan ?

• Like 3

There's an error in the model type here.  18 years ago was 2006.  Mk2 Mondeo's were only made up to 1999.

There are a few companies offering ECU cloning now.  You need to know exactly which ECU you have though, as the prices vary based on that.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, unofix said:

I very much doubt that a brand new ECU would be available from Ford for an 18 year old Mondeo. If it was available and the work to fit and programme it was done by a Ford dealer you would be looking at a minimum of £800 but in all probability a lot more.

If you could find a 'good' used part of exactly the same number and had it fitted and programmed by an independent garage then it would possibly be £400 to £500.

What diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) does the car show when scanned using FORScan ?

Thanks for that, I've asked my mum to get the codes from the garage, I'll post them when she'd got them.

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

There's an error in the model type here.  18 years ago was 2006.  Mk2 Mondeo's were only made up to 1999.

There are a few companies offering ECU cloning now.  You need to know exactly which ECU you have though, as the prices vary based on that.

MK2's were 2000 - 2006, maybe you're thinking of a facelifted MK1? hers is 06.   Never touched ECU stuff before so I'll look into cloning, cheers.

15 minutes ago, nicam49 said:

You're one mark out! It a mk3. 

Another Fiesta-type source of much confusion here, unfortunately. The Mk 1 Mondeo facelift was so extensive that it was known as the Mk 2. The true second generation version from 2006 was therefore known as the Mk 3.

• Like 1

I didn't think this would be the can of worms I'd open today....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A quick check on good old  Wikipedia clears up any confusion. The mk1 & mk2 are known as First Generation Mondeos, and the Mk3 is known as the Second Generation Mondeo.  Could be  the OP conflated (?)  mk and generation numbering. 

4 hours ago, unofix said:

just got a code through, it's  P1039

18 minutes ago, nicam49 said:

A quick check on good old  Wikipedia clears up any confusion. The mk1 & mk2 are known as First Generation Mondeos, and the Mk3 is known as the Second Generation Mondeo.  Could be  the OP conflated (?)  mk and generation numbering. 

This sounds plausible....

51 minutes ago, Loofer said:

just got a code through, it's  P1039

Any warning lights on the instrument cluster like the ABS, is the speedo reading steady when driving ?

No, my mum claims there weren't any problems with warning lights or the speedo, just checked myself and that code seems to be a vehicle speed sensor so I'm not sure if that would stop a car from running.

2 minutes ago, Loofer said:

that code seems to be a vehicle speed sensor so I'm not sure if that would stop a car from running.

Yes it is a speed sensor problem, hence my questions regarding the ABS and speedo. I've very little information on a 2006 Mondeo, so I'm unsure of how it detects speed. These days most cars use the signal from the ABS system.

Personally I'd now use FORScan and a vLinker FS cable to fully check for any Ford specific DTC's which the garage may not have been able to see as they are most probably using a generic code reader.

• Like 1

OK, I'll see what I can do on that front, cheers!

• Like 1

would a speed sensor issue stop a car running do you think?

46 minutes ago, Loofer said:

would a speed sensor issue stop a car running do you think?

I'd expect it to cause running issues. The engine would start, but how it you drive I'm not sure. The loss of the speed sensor signal would normally put the engine in to limp mode.

• Sad 1

ok, I'll dig in and let you know what I find, cheers.

Only the early (pre-facelift) Mk3s, 2000-2003, had the speedo driven from the gearbox.The later, facelift models had the speedo driven by abs sensor.

It could be that fault code is a historic one that has never been cleared....there are no dates stamps so you don't know how long ago it occurred. The best policy is to note the codes, clear them, drive for a bit then see which codes return, then you know if they relate to a current problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicam49 said:

Only the early (pre-facelift) Mk3s, 2000-2003, had the speedo driven from the gearbox.

Are you sure ?

Because they make gearbox speed sensors for 2007 Mondeo Mk3

2006.JPG

Well, I don't know from 1st hand experience, all I know is that on the Talkford.com forum, ppl have fitted a later gbox to an earlier model, for instance to give them a 6-speed box, only to discover that the speedo drive is blanked off...

Here's a typical thread....

https://www.talkford.com/threads/trying-to-find-my-speed-sensor.230694/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nicam49 said:

all I know is that on the Talkford.com forum, ppl have fitted a later gbox to an earlier model, for instance to give them a 6-speed box, only to discover that the speedo drive is blanked off...

Ah! if the Talkford people have said it doesn't have a gearbox speed sensor that must be right 🤣🤣

Seriously, as I already said above I have very little information on the Mondeo 2006 model and I'm unable to say with absolute certainty whether or not the OP's car definitely does or dose not have a speed sensor on the gearbox. The only thing I can go by is that there are no reported ABS faults and that the speedometer is working, but the car has a DTC P1039 speed sensor fault. This suggests to me that the car is not using the signal from the brake system.

No VSS on Mondeo built after 02/2003 with the introduction of new ABS module.

• Like 1

Unofix: maybe it's a historic fault code that's never been deleted.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club