Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water leak

PJZ

Hi,  Ford Focus hatchback - Titanium 72 Plate  1.0 Petrol 

I have noticed water is leaking from below engine area.

Car left on drive which slopes down towards front of car ( not too steep ) 

It maybe rain  water that is collecting below engine on the cover that sits under engine ...

My 2020 Focus same car did not do this at all, it appears rain water is being held somehow in this area under engine when I set off water pours

all over driveway and onto road  front when reversing out of driveway  ...  Is this a known common problem ?   Quite a lot of water ! 

Would Ford fix this on the 3 year warranty OR do I drill some drain holes in the cover under the engine ? 

Thank you. 

Cars should always be sat on level ground but can't be helped at times, our drive is on a decline to the road, we always get water run off the car, it doesn't bother us much but what does bother me is because of the angle the bottom of the doors fill up in the very corners of the doors, to stop rust i've blasted oil into all 4 doors, allowing it to run out the drainage slots.

• Like 1

Thanks, my other 2020 Focus had no problems in this area hence "Like for like car"  something is clearly different with the newer model ? 

• Like 1

Isn't the '72 plate a facelift model?

• Like 1

I think it may be facelift thanks,  I assume some related change may being causing water to pool in the undercover may investigate further or cut some holes to allow drainage in this area as it is quite a lot of water that pours over driveway and road at front of house really is noticeable otherwise I wouldn't bother if just a bit of water. 

The style of this engine undercover has a few deep areas that will hold rain water. Water is being held in this area, particularly the pre-form areas that will hold approx  300ml each therefore decided to create a few holes ..  2 drivers side, 1 passenger side, you can see and feel the damp areas under the undercover hence with drain holes I am hoping water will drain away. Not ideal yet IMO the design is poor it will hold water if on a slope or on a flat road / driveway, you notice water everywhere under the engine undercover when driving off. The undercover will constantly get saturated and perish too soon I thought Ford would know better as my earlier 2020 Focus did not have this problem.  The model is the Focus 72 plate with a modified engine undercover that is not suitable it just collects water ! 

As I created the holes from the underside of the undercover ( careful not to damage anything in this area ) water did start draining away immediately, I used a flashlight to view the water on the drivers side the passenger side is a bit more difficult to view just feel the engine undercover from underneath you can feel it's damp and see the dampness in the area around the preformed dished area that holds the water. It maybe for strength or aerodynamics perhaps these dished areas yet they just collect rain water on my vehicle.

I will ask Ford at my next service to see if they have any ideas / solutions. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club