Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New on here so Hi and Help.

Robbyray

name is Rob, ex mil based in Tidworth and needing some help and advice for my wee van, 

hobbies are ham radio, golf and of course the van.

So looking forward to getting some help, giving some if I can and of course just the general chit chat about things that Connect us all.

Ok, this is it,

i am after some advice on tow bar wiring, I committed to buy a new tow bar and harness and got stuck in so followed the intructions to the letter and all went well until i connected the right indicator to the tow bar wiring and this happened.

the right indicator flashes 2 times very fast and then the relay stops ? With no more operation inc the left one, the ignition has to be switched off and on then try left and it does the same?

if i un plug the trailer the indicator lights all return to normal operation, (there is only an issue with the indicators all other lights are fine with or without the trailer attached),

normal wiring IE: to all cables and buzzer hard wired to the rear left lamp cluster down to the new tow socket ? Not a clue whats going on,

Just in case i have been sold the incorrect items may i ask if i need a can bus for a 2013 connect with regards to the above issues 

apologies for the long intro, but i have been at it for well over 5 hours and still can’t sus this issue out,

cheers and again HI?

Rob.

•  
  • Like 1

Hi welcome 

Your vehicles lighting system is Canbus controlled by the BCM. The system you have used to wire your tow bar is not compatible with newer vehicles. Even the lights you say are working OK are in fact overloading the control circuit of the BCM and given enough time will eventually cause failure.

You need to install the Ford "Trailer Module" and enable it's operation using FORScan.

There are after market tow bar kits available for vehicles with Canbus controlled lighting, but I'd not usually recommend them.

This is an example of a Ford trailer module (not for your model)

https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/transit-custom-trailer-towing-brake-module-2014

module.JPG

Many thanks 

Ill get on the case in the morning, and get one ordered, may i ask if they come with a diagram re installation etc,

again thank you

Rob

• Like 1

They might come with some basic instructions if you're lucky.

Your Transit Connect should be pre-wired for the Ford Trailer Module (make sure you get the correct one) they are Plug and Play to the vehicle BUT you will need to enable it in the vehicles Body Control Module using the software FORScan and a vLinker FS cable.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

vLinker FS, cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP

• Like 1

Cheers guys

am i going to need a chair re the cost of this?

You can look at Canbus By-Pass units which are a lot cheaper. They take a little bit more wiring up, but will cost about £40 to £50 Obviously not as good as the Ford trailer module but unless you're planning on towing a twin axle caravan they will be ok for most things.

This is one unit that will connect to a 7 Pin towing socket:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Smart-Logic-Bypass-Relay/dp/B00BNQKPHI

ring.JPG

Cheers sir,

I’m just moving a small antenna mast trailer from time to time and a small box trailer to the council tip.

defo not a caravan man

thank you,

Rob

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robbyray said:

defo not a caravan man...

In that case, welcome to the forum 😂

Cheers all.

its on its way and the mobile radio mast is being readied for the field days  and of course the van will be ready soon as,

cheers.

bob.

All done guys, thanks for your help. Ill post the photo of the install in a bit but a saving of a lot of money thanks to the guys on here,

cheers

Rob

IMG_1799.png

9 minutes ago, Robbyray said:

All done guys, thanks for your help. Ill post the photo of the install in a bit but a saving of a lot of money thanks to the guys on here,

cheers

Rob

That seems a bit excessive just to get Radio 2 🤣

• Haha 1

Well its really for channel 5 plus bud 🙂

on the Scottish hills back home, ( better known here as Salisbury plain)

Rob

IMG_5188.jpeg

IMG_5187.jpeg

IMG_4566.jpeg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club