Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuse location for windscreen washer pump 2004/2005

tim091

Washers were working, now not. No sound from pump so I need to check the fuse, but I cannot find its location/wrong location shown on any of the websites showing the fuse boxes.

Car is 2005 registered but was made in July 2004.

Haynes manual has no fuse for it listed.

Some websites have it as 47 in passenger fuse box (15A). Mine has no fuse in 47.

One website shows 55 in passenger box (20A). Most show that as being for power windows. Mine is not blown.

Any ideas welcome?!

There is no fuse for the washer pump. It is controlled by the GEM unit.

If neither the front or rear screen wash is working then it is most likely the pump has failed or the wires to the connector on it have corroded.

• Like 1

That makes sense then! I'll pull it out and have a look. Many thanks.

Update: Put new motor in and still the same: no squirting front or rear, pump is not engaging.

Pulled connector on pump and connected meter to it. When I engage the washers I am only getting about 1V. Same front or back. 

Any ideas please?

Then it would be probable that the GEM has a fault or you have corroded wires between the pump and the GEM.

Water ingress is a very common problem with the GEM and the connector pins corrode and even break off. You need to disconnect it and inspect all the connections and the circuit board for signs of water and/or corrosion.

Thanks. What/where is GEM?

Secondary question: this was the reason for MOT fail so I need to fix it before retest next Friday. If all else fails I can put a switch in the console and run 12v to the washer motor. Any idea if that would satisfy MOT?

GEM - General Electronic Module. On later models it was replaced by the Body Control Module (BCM).

It is a basic mini computer that controls functions like the Horn, Side Lights, Screen Washer, Brake lights just to give you an idea.

It is part of the passenger compartment fuesbox. The GEM is actually the rear circuit board of the fuesbox, connected by usually 2 or 3 large multi-way connectors. Always disconnect the battery negative lead before removing connectors from the GEM.

Thanks very much. I shall have a look.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tim091 said:

If all else fails I can put a switch in the console and run 12v to the washer motor. Any idea if that would satisfy MOT?

As long as you have a working screen wash pump, then what switch controls it is not part of the test. Remember that you will need to run two wires to the pump and use a two pole change over switch so that the pump can run clockwise with the connection one way and that it can run anti-clockwise with the connections the other way round.

Thanks once again. Why would I need the pump running clockwise and anti-clockwise? Surely all it needs is to turn?

4 minutes ago, tim091 said:

Thanks once again. Why would I need the pump running clockwise and anti-clockwise? Surely all it needs is to turn?

It turns one way for front washers, and the other way for rears.

For the MOT, only the fronts need to work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alan G H said:

It turns one way for front washers, and the other way for rears.

For the MOT, only the fronts need to work.

Great, thanks.

10 minutes ago, tim091 said:

Why would I need the pump running clockwise and anti-clockwise? Surely all it needs is to turn?

See Alans reply above.

When you tested the voltage at the pump, did you check it between wires, OR, did you test each wire on it's own and the negative of the multi meter connected to the battery negative ????

I tested it onto the two terminals on the motor. So if I test it with one grounded and the positive on one of the terminals in the socket, I should get 12V dependent on if I use front or back switch on the stalk.

13 minutes ago, tim091 said:

So if I test it with one grounded and the positive on one of the terminals in the socket, I should get 12V dependent on if I use front or back switch on the stalk.

indeed correct 👍

• Like 1

Thanks very much guys. Enough tinkering for today, I shall attack it tomorrow. 

Thanks much for all your help.

UPDATE: Tested with meter on pump electric socket with one lead grounded. Still getting low voltage readings (Inc without operating the pump switches, and with the ignition off!).

Figured I'd try rebooting the GEM so removed power for 20 mins - no difference.

Now finished running wires to pump, to ground and to switch in console and all working good. (I pulled + from the back of the cigar lighter).

Fingers crossed that is okay for MOT!

Much thanks to you guys for all the troubleshooting help.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, tim091 said:

Fingers crossed that is okay for MOT!

You should tell the mot tester where the switch is, save him searching for it, and risking a fail!

Bit late to the party but diagram attached should be correct for 2004 Focus should you want to fix it properly.
The fuse is shared with the wipers so its not going to be that!
I'd start with checking voltage (in & out) at the stalk first.

Focus_2004_Washer.pdf

1 hour ago, Alan G H said:

You should tell the mot tester where the switch is, save him searching for it, and risking a fail!

Yep, I intend to!

23 minutes ago, Dan62 said:

Bit late to the party but diagram attached should be correct for 2004 Focus should you want to fix it properly.
The fuse is shared with the wipers so its not going to be that!
I'd start with checking voltage (in & out) at the stalk first.

Focus_2004_Washer.pdf 12.83 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks. That is much better than the Haynes one! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club