Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement for Fiesta


Magenta
 Share

Recommended Posts

Now that my present Fiesta is now 10 years old, I've done some searches but surprisingly, I can't currently can't find this topic. What are the current alternatives offered by Ford ?  I'm not really yet sold on EV's and The Ford site is a bit long winded on this.  Dare I say it, I'm even looking at say a near new VW Polo as an alternative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


43 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Or a Yaris, if you fancy 70+MPG and ultra reliability (Or the Mazda 2, same car)

The Mazda 2 Hybrid is the same as the Yaris.

The "normal" Mazda 2 is a totally separate car, made by Mazda.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Or a Yaris, if you fancy 70+MPG and ultra reliability ...

You may be bored of the reliability. My mums 22 year old Yaris thrives on neglect, you can ignore it for 4 months at a stretch, and it'll start on 1st twist of the key. The A/C hasn't been touched since it was built, and is still ice cold. If you prefer a bit of drama in your life, will she start or not, why doesn't this function work etc, yep, get a Ford LOL

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The Mazda 2 Hybrid is the same as the Yaris.

The "normal" Mazda 2 is a totally separate car, made by Mazda.

That's interesting, are there two Mazda 2s then? I thought they were built on the same line?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

That's interesting, are there two Mazda 2s then? I thought they were built on the same line?

Yes there are two different Mazda 2s simultanously.

The "Mazda 2" is built by Mazda, the same car they've been building for a number of years. With Mazda engines (the same 1.5 as in the MX-5).

The "Mazda 2 Hybrid" is built by Toyota. I believe Mazda mostly brought it out to comply with fleet emission averages. (A bit like the Aston Aygo)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Yes there are two different Mazda 2s simultanously.

The "Mazda 2" is built by Mazda, the same car they've been building for a number of years. With Mazda engines (the same 1.5 as in the MX-5).

The "Mazda 2 Hybrid" is built by Toyota. I believe Mazda mostly brought it out to comply with fleet emission averages. (A bit like the Aston Aygo)

I didn't realise the old one was still going. Thanks for that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Autocar did a comparison test recently on the Suzuki Swift and Renault Clio under the title "Who makes the best Fiesta" or something like that. Swift is normally aspirated 1.2 about 80ps, Clio is available as a 90ps turbo manual and a 1.6 full hybrid around 140ps. Both seem to get good feedback.

The Mazda 2 (by Mazda) is available with n/a engines up to 115ps, the Mazda 2 hybrid (aka Yaris) is also 115ps (the Yaris itself has a 130ps option also).

Honda Jazz is hybrid only about 115ps - last time I tried one I thought it was actually a better drive than its "OAPs favourite" image suggests.

VW group options are certainly worth a look. Polo itself - up to 110ps manual/dsg auto and 200ps dsg auto (Gti). Audi A1 similar but pricier, tops out at 150ps 1.5 dsg auto though, as I think does the Skoda Fabia. Seat Ibiza is mad 110ps only now, I believe, manual of dsg.

Might be some of the last generation MINI petrol models around as they are in the process of replacement with EVs or new generation petrol which are auto only.

So still a fair few alternatives at the moment, and there still seem to be a few pre-reg Fiestas about if you search around, and there were even 3 or 4 unreg ones last time I looked.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't realise the Swift was still only 82bhp despite now being MHEV. 

They're doing an ALDI with this ad though...  Gopping mouth, angled DRLs, flat 5 spoke alloys and almost Desert Island Blue...could easily be mistaken for a Puma!

image.thumb.png.4764ae3f29ad9adb2e18fd40ded94c86.png

image.thumb.png.4eafc16dc05efe76dd23f2de3b655c13.png

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I didn't realise the Swift was still only 82bhp despite now being MHEV. 

Yes, and now a 3 pot rather than 4. Managed to find the comparison I mentioned earlier:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/suzuki-swift-vs-renault-clio-finding-your-perfect-fiesta-replacement

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Yes there are two different Mazda 2s simultanously.

The "Mazda 2" is built by Mazda, the same car they've been building for a number of years. With Mazda engines (the same 1.5 as in the MX-5).

The "Mazda 2 Hybrid" is built by Toyota. I believe Mazda mostly brought it out to comply with fleet emission averages. (A bit like the Aston Aygo)

I had no idea that Toyota built Mazdas.  I thought that there was some tie - up between Ford and Mazda and Mazda 2's (at one time at least) were built on the same assembly line as Fiestas.  Our local Ford dealer(Bristol Street Motors) also sells Mazda.

I forgot to mention that my replacement would need to be an auto.  Are hybrids automatics?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Magenta said:

I had no idea that Toyota built Mazdas.  I thought that there was some tie - up between Ford and Mazda and Mazda 2's (at one time at least) were built on the same assembly line as Fiestas.  Our local Ford dealer(Bristol Street Motors) also sells Mazda.

I forgot to mention that my replacement would need to be an auto.  Are hybrids automatics?

Ford used to own a controlling stake in Mazda. But they’ve been independent since 2008. 
 

None of their current models have any relation to Fords. 
 

All the Skyactiv branding is to denote it’s their own platform again. 
 

All Mazda badged cars except for the “Mazda2 Hybrid” are built by Mazda. 
 

Rather than develop their own hybrid they have Toyota building them a rebadged Yaris. It’s just about allocating their R&D where they can. The Japanese auto makers often collaborate on technology. I think there is a tie up on EV development between some of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do any of these cars have the driveability of the Fiesta?  I've yet to drive a small hatchback that drives like the Fiesta with its sharp steering and everything else.  I hired a Citroen C3 on holiday last year and it was awful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Ford used to own a controlling stake in Mazda. But they’ve been independent since 2008. 
 

None of their current models have any relation to Fords. 
 

All the Skyactiv branding is to denote it’s their own platform again. 
 

All Mazda badged cars except for the “Mazda2 Hybrid” are built by Mazda. 
 

Rather than develop their own hybrid they have Toyota building them a rebadged Yaris. It’s just about allocating their R&D where they can. The Japanese auto makers often collaborate on technology. I think there is a tie up on EV development between some of them. 

Thanks for clearing that up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


From everything I’ve read the Mazda 2 (non hybrid) is the closest you can get to a Fiesta in terms of an engaging supermini, aside from maybe a Mini. The 2 has got an NA engine and manual gearbox option which for me are positives, but you have to be prepared to rev it out rather than ride turbo boost though. 
 

I’ve not driven a 2 myself, although I have driven the MX-5 with the 1.5 Skyactiv engine (it’s in a lower state of tune in the 2 but otherwise the same afaik) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Magenta said:

I forgot to mention that my replacement would need to be an auto.  Are hybrids automatics?

Proper hybrids are all automatic.  Mild-hybrids (MHEV) can be either manual or auto.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Magenta said:

I forgot to mention that my replacement would need to be an auto.  Are hybrids automatics?

Thought that might be the case.

In many cases the full hybrids are more like an electric from a driving perspective - the electric drivetrain actually propels the car and the engine charges the battery as required. So you don't necessarily feel a gearchange as you would with a dual clutch or torque converter automatic. (Not under consideration here, but the larger Honda Civic hybrid has trick software which messes with your head and makes it sound as if it does change gear!😀).

A wide range of options has been mentioned - did you have a particular power level in mind?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The 2 has got an NA engine and manual gearbox option which for me are positives, but you have to be prepared to rev it out rather than ride turbo boost though. 

Yes, a while since I've looked at one (the 2 has been running for quite some years) but I remember the gearchange as being lovely. Unfortunately an auto is preferred and, while the 2 is available in 90ps form with auto, it looks as if it's not a happy match, economy and emissions taking quite a hit. 

The Ibiza, as I recall, is the sportiest drive of the VW group superminis and the VW dsg is pretty good, so worth a look I would suggest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The Ibiza, as I recall, is the sportiest drive of the VW group superminis and the VW dsg is pretty good, so worth a look I would suggest.

My lad has a 2018 Ibiza 1.0 FR DSG, nice little car

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Magenta said:

Do any of these cars have the driveability of the Fiesta?  I've yet to drive a small hatchback that drives like the Fiesta with its sharp steering and everything else.  

Don't know if you've driven the later versions? I was thinking back to when I got my first Mk 8 6 years ago and posted first impressions. I said back then:

"Driving - although we've previously had 2 Mk 7's, had forgotten how quick the steering was,  perhaps a little toned down in this generation from previously,  but still very sharp by today's standards." 

"So my overall thoughts remain very much in line with my first drive, very much like the Mk 7/7.5 to drive, but with a sophistication that wasn't there before. I would sum up the difference a bit like this, if you jumped into a Mk 7 it said "C'mon! Let's go play!", But this one is more "I'm happy to play if you want to". Hope that makes sense!"

Very much personal view only of course, but I still feel the same, and never felt the Mk 8/8.5 in any form to be quite as good purely from the driving perspective as the Mk 7/7.5, though of course it gained in other ways. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share






×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership