Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Smashed Up Car

sheepy

i'v just replaced my steering rack in me car after bending it ever so slitely i'v put fluid in it and started it up

the steering is now shakeing and moving by it self can any one tell me y do i need to bleed the rack

i'v just replaced my steering rack in me car after bending it ever so slitely i'v put fluid in it and started it up

the steering is now shakeing and moving by it self can any one tell me y do i need to bleed the rack

sheepy you need to bleed the rack system because you will have induced air into the system by replacing it. air in any hydraulic system causes cavitation in the pump (bubbles in the oil) and hydraulic oil does'nt compress under load, air does. your rack should be balanced evenly by hydraulis oil but as you've got air in there its all over the place (shakeing, uncontrolled movements).

Top up your resevoir to max or max cold level, ensure the wheels are pointing straight forward, now start the engine, ensure level is still ok, then rotate the steering wheel to full lock several times (note do not keep the steering wheel at full lock for any longer than five seconds as this may well cause damage to the pump) take your time and check the level in the resevoir does not drop below the refill level. That should purge the air from the system and it should sound a lot quieter and also not move without an input, recheck all connections. If this doesnt fully purge the air you can leave the vehicle for a while to let things settle down and then try again. if the problem still persists you will need a friend with a vacuum pump to help draw the air up towards the resevoir, usually a main dealer job (ouch).

hope this helps

tg.

sheepy you need to bleed the rack system because you will have induced air into the system by replacing it. air in any hydraulic system causes cavitation in the pump (bubbles in the oil) and hydraulic oil does'nt compress under load, air does. your rack should be balanced evenly by hydraulic oil but as you've got air in there its all over the place (shakeing, uncontrolled movements).

Top up your resevoir to max or max cold level, ensure the wheels are pointing straight forward, now start the engine, ensure level is still ok, then rotate the steering wheel to full lock several times (note do not keep the steering wheel at full lock for any longer than five seconds as this may well cause damage to the pump) take your time and check the level in the resevoir does not drop below the refill level. That should purge the air from the system and it should sound a lot quieter and also not move without an input, recheck all connections. If this doesnt fully purge the air you can leave the vehicle for a while to let things settle down and then try again. if the problem still persists you will need a friend with a vacuum pump to help draw the air up towards the resevoir, usually a main dealer job (ouch).

hope this helps

tg.

sorry all, double posted

This should be in the Focus section not the introduction section.

This should be in the Focus section not the introduction section.

+1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club