Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Remove The Steering Wheel Mask/trim? (Cruise/speed Control)

Drazha

Well ok, basically on my recently purchased FF 1.4 2005, mk2 I have the buttons for speed/cruise control. Tried pressing the On, and then the Set, and what not, read a bunch of posts here and elsewhere, and my conclusion is that something is wrong with it.

So, now I want to open/remove the steering wheel to see what the story is. Again, read a bunch of posts here/elsewhere but I still dont get it. This is why I prefer pictures!!! Anyhoo, do I just grab the plastic trim on the center of the wheel and pull it towards me, or do I need to disassemble the actual steering wheel column so that I can reach some screw that will release that piece of plastic?

I'd buy the Haynes manual if I knew it contained information I needed... :(

Now I want to open/remove the steering wheel to see what the story is

Why, what will that do? If it is equiped with C/C than it will most likely be a fuse or relay that has failed. Start with the simple things first. Check your manual for location.

Why, what will that do? If it is equiped with C/C than it will most likely be a fuse or relay that has failed. Start with the simple things first. Check your manual for location.

I just needed an excuse to rip it off? :)

You are right, I will check the fuses, but in the meanwhile if someone can let me know how to dismantle the steering wheel trim I'd appreciate it, just in case its not the fuse box.

On another note: lets say I change the fuses, how do I check if its working? Go on the motorway and try to enable it? Is there an easier way, other then me going up and down the road like a looney?

On another note: lets say I change the fuses, how do I check if its working? Go on the motorway and try to enable it?

Not got it on my motor, but had it on the one previous, it's simple. You switch it on and then press set when up to the desired cruising speed. You don't need to be on a motorway to test it, any decent bit of road will do. That said if my memory serves me right, you have to be doing above a certain speed for it to activate, 50mph will be fine I'm sure.

Not got it on my motor, but had it on the one previous, it's simple. You switch it on and then press set when up to the desired cruising speed. You don't need to be on a motorway to test it, any decent bit of road will do. That said if my memory serves me right, you have to be doing above a certain speed for it to activate, 50mph will be fine I'm sure.

Will the green light pop up when i switch it on? Or will it pop on only once I hit the Set button?

Will the green light pop up when i switch it on? Or will it pop on only once I hit the Set button?

I dunno, mine was on a Volvo S40, on that it illuminated the word cruise when you switched it on, immaterial of wither it was actually SET, if my memory serves me right. Mind you I sold that nearly two years ago, and I'm an old !Removed!...so how knows :unsure:

Green light comes on once you have set the speed :) I so want CC :(

Green light comes on once you have set the speed :) I so want CC :(

I've only missed mine 3 times in 21 months, shortly it will be 4 times in 23 months, come a trip down to Cornwall. Or 2 years 7 months if you count the time until next years touring season comes round :D

At one point I had the daft notion of swopping to a Ghia [didn't like the alloy's though] or a Titanium but few had cruise. But I thought hang on 6 months in from buying, straight away £1,300 loss on retail to dealer PX. Then another £1,500 PX to retail on what I then replace it with..................£2,500 just to give my right foot a rest a couple of times a year.............no way.

I've only missed mine 3 times in 21 months, shortly it will be 4 times in 23 months, come a trip down to Cornwall. Or 2 years 7 months if you count the time until next years touring season comes round :D

At one point I had the daft notion of swopping to a Ghia [didn't like the alloy's though] or a Titanium but few had cruise. But I thought hang on 6 months in from buying, straight away £1,300 loss on retail to dealer PX. Then another £1,500 PX to retail on what I then replace it with..................£2,500 just to give my right foot a rest a couple of times a year.............no way.

Alright, so I looked at the user manual, none of the fuses are listed for speed/cruise control. On one of the forums, fuses 53 and 29 are mentioned. 53 is listed as tail light fuse (but my tail light works, and the central, and the left and right one, and the break one, all of them) whereas fuse 29 is not listed in the manual...

So, anyone have an idea what fuses I should be looking at before I go back and start tearing the glove box apart?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club