Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Stuck In Gear

ladydangermouse

hi i not long brought a focus and after having it a few weeks i couldnt get it in gear normally first and if i did it would get stuck there...if i turn the car off it comes out of gear and normally goes ok for about 2 weeks then it will happen again.....can someone please help me

I can only sympathise and also ask for someone's help.

• Sometimes when I first start my '02 Fiesta it refuses to go into any gear, I really have to force the gear stick. It's fine once it's in gear and I get moving and it won't do it again during the journey.
  • It only does it on a cold start, which makes me think the engine needs to be warm to free something, but it doesn't get stuck on every cold start so it can't be this.
  • I've examined the gear lever linkage and it seems fine. Sometimes I think I'm going to break something when forcing it into gear, there's just no give. I've tried to understand how gear boxes work and I can only assume that something isn't lining up inside the box.
  • I've tried all sorts suggestions from the web, but nothing works. The only thing I can suggest and will try myself, is to nudge the car forward or back slightly (engine running in neutral) in the hope that something in the box lines up so it will get in gear.

• 3 months later...

I've still got the same problem and after giving it a bit more thought, I'm thinking the hydraulic fluid might need replacing.The problem feels like the clutch hasn't fully disengaged, it's like the clutch hasn't been pressed.

The clutch fluid shares the same reservoir as the brakes, and it has it's own bleed nipple located above the gearbox. I'll change the fluid one day soon, but I might as well do the brakes too If I've got to buy fluid.

I'm not sure, but I've heard pressure builds up in the brake/clutch system as the car warms up - might be why the problem only happens on a cold start?

• 2 weeks later...

You may be experiencing clutch drag this is where the clutch gets stuck on the splines that it is supposed to slide on also have either of you checked your gearbox oil level and condition you shpud both have the ib5 box fitted also what mileages are you at?

Thanks for your response. I've read more into clutch drag and the symptoms seem to match mine - the clutch isn't fully disengaging. I pretty much always get the grinding noise when putting it in reverse.

I haven't checked the gearbox oil - I understand that these gearboxes don't require oil changes during the life of the car. My car has done 45k and is 10yrs old - I don't have a detailed history for it, but I'm assuming the clutch oil has never been bled.

It's strange that it only happens on a cold start - I think the higher warming up revs might also be why it's not going into gear. It's okay at changing gear while moving, just not pulling away. When stationary with the engine running, I've noticed more that the car will nudge forward when I have to force it into 1st.

Thanks for your response. I've read more into clutch drag and the symptoms seem to match mine - the clutch isn't fully disengaging. I pretty much always get the grinding noise when putting it in reverse.

I haven't checked the gearbox oil - I understand that these gearboxes don't require oil changes during the life of the car. My car has done 45k and is 10yrs old - I don't have a detailed history for it, but I'm assuming the clutch oil has never been bled.

It's strange that it only happens on a cold start - I think the higher warming up revs might also be why it's not going into gear. It's okay at changing gear while moving, just not pulling away. When stationary with the engine running, I've noticed more that the car will nudge forward when I have to force it into 1st.

try changing gear with the car off - and its normal for the grinding noise in reverse gear - my car does it and the 09 reg focus I learned in did the same tihng

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going into reverse you should depress the clutch for three seconds before you try selecting reverse this gives the shafts inside the gearbox time to slow down. the crunching / grinding noise is due to the gears rotating at high speeds and not meshing correctly.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club