Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Far Can The Fez Go On 'empty?'

The Dark Knight

I won't bring diesels into this because I know they can't be run dry without causing problems and my last diesel car had a reduced power mode and would cut out as a precaution (standard feature now?). With the petrols though, I was wondering how far beyond no miles remaining it could go, to the point where the tank is virtually dry.

A few years ago I went about 6 miles beyond zero in the fez ST mk1 before filling up. Clarkson often speaks of fuel light bingo and showed on a journey to Blackpool that a jag went way beyond zero.

I am always too worried about an embarrassing breakdown to gamble but I am curious. Anyone on here tried their luck beyond zero miles?

Carry a couple of Jerry Cans and then have a test run. ;) Kidding, I'd tell you but my MK V tells analogue readouts only and is in for repairs right now anyway!

Well I've run my diesel 20 miles past zero and was afraid of imminent breakdown and I didn't do this on purpose and wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose. But I guess the petrol could do the same but again wouldn't recommend it

Interesting. The only reason I didn't consider diesels is because unlike petrol, they can't be run dry without causing problems. Admittedly it's not a good idea to do it to a petrol either as it can't be good for the engine but purely out of curiosity I wonder how safe the computer plays it.

it happened to me once with my mums 1.6 petrol focus. i had enough going by the range on the trip computer to get me home from my work in Clifton Moor in York. as i passed Billbourgh top serviced the range ticked over to 0 and i still had 17 miles to get home. when i got to the Shell fuel station on York Road which is 14 miles from Billbourgh top i was relieved id reached without running out of fuel

I always run mine past 0 :)

Furthest I've driven with an empty tank is 25 miles :)

I always do full fill ups and there usually 42 ish litres.

I always run mine past 0 :)

Furthest I've driven with an empty tank is 25 miles :)

I always do full fill ups and there usually 42 ish litres.

I did that once, when driving on a half tank to my parents city (330km long trip). There is a highway (~130km/h avarge speed) for about half of the trip, then normal roads. I was informed by the computer, that it can cover all this trip with no problem (with 30-35km reserve). After I get close to target (20km left to destination, computer says it can cover 40km), computer DROPS down 1km from range every 200meters - then I get scared, and slowed down to 60-70km/h. It didnt helped. Was praying to get to gas station... When I arrived (computer says it will cover about 14km), filled up to full tank, and the distributor says that I filled 42,89litre... and as we know, the tank is 42litre big. So I was driving on the gasoline that was on the pipe between tank and engine (?) or the distributor was broken.. :-)

The tank is 42 litres but that doesn't include what you get in the pipe between the fill up cap and the petrol tank.

The tank is 42 litres but that doesn't include what you get in the pipe between the fill up cap and the petrol tank.

Petrol is 42l & diesel is 40l :)

How do you find out your tank capacity L?

Be interested to see how much mine holds (07 fiesta zetec s petrol)

How do you find out your tank capacity L?

Be interested to see how much mine holds (07 fiesta zetec s petrol)

The manual ;)

• Like 1

I'll tell ya mate. It's 45 ltrs

:p @ Nath.

Petrol is 42l & diesel is 40l :)

I hope it's not 40 on the diesel I put 41.something in every time I fill up

I read that diesel is 40L.. :-)

For a MK7.5 maybe, however for a MK7 2008-2012 is it definitely 40l for a diesel and 42l for a petrol!

ieex.png

Don't argue with a super mod ;)

On Wednesday got to Sainsburys with 3mi showing left on the electronic display, put 41.2 litres in.

2013 Diesel, was under impression it was 42l but obviously thinking of the last one!

So why are petrol and diesel tanks different sizes, what's different at the back of the car that needs a different fuel tank? Or is the pump inside simply bigger in a diesel?

Filled up today with 42.24L (petrol) and got 360 miles out of the last full - empty tank ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club