Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Fluid Tank Replacement

almat23

I have just had the DPF fluid topped up at Ford and a forced regeneration carried out. No problems with that. However they state there is a further fault showing (and hence the engine malfunction light is still on) that states that the DPF fluid tank needs replacing at a cost of over £500!

As the car is running fine and I am not rich I am holding off getting this done. I tried to search for the part on the internet and can't find it at all. Anyone had this replaced before and know if it can sourced at a cheaper price?

Many thanks

Stephen.

Never heard of the tank itself needing replacing, sounds more like the EOLYS sensor? but even then, I dont believe that is a fixed unit to the tank :

Did they clear the EML down? I wonder if somebody needed a topup to their benevolent fund this month....

Does sound like a money making scheme to me. What's the EML? Still can't find a trace of the tank as a replacement part in itself. Apparently it's a sealed unit and they can't say what's wrong with it. Just "there's a fault"

Unfortunately you will ultimately have to pay. The early dpf systems had a fuel additive system which was taken across from the peugeot system with the powertrain. It is a little tank near the osr weel, ur struggle to see it on the floor. Ford specify it should be refilled every 3 years/37500 mls. And the dpf filter every 75k. In the real world, firstly ur dash will display 'engine malfunction' if u ignore this the mil light will come on. If the engine malfunction comes up u can reset it by opening and closing the fuel flap i think its 3 times in 10 seconds. But with the mil light on it will be dealer only. It costs approx £200 for 5 litres from ford. Sorry, hope this helps understanding

• Like 1

Or just have the dpf removed and software remapped for £350-400 - additive tank becomes redundant and dpf never needs changing again.

Can do but the floor in this is a. Its illegal and b. Its an mot fail as of today

Strange how things suddenly become illegal just when they tighten up the MOT checks! I suppose if that bothers you then pay to get the additive tank changed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately you will ultimately have to pay. The early dpf systems had a fuel additive system which was taken across from the peugeot system with the powertrain. It is a little tank near the osr weel, ur struggle to see it on the floor. Ford specify it should be refilled every 3 years/37500 mls. And the dpf filter every 75k. In the real world, firstly ur dash will display 'engine malfunction' if u ignore this the mil light will come on. If the engine malfunction comes up u can reset it by opening and closing the fuel flap i think its 3 times in 10 seconds. But with the mil light on it will be dealer only. It costs approx £200 for 5 litres from ford. Sorry, hope this helps understanding

Appreciate the advice, but have already paid £150 to have this done. The issue is that they now say the actual tank needs replacing not just the fluid or the filter (which apparently is still ok).

Just to clarify, DPF Removal is not illegal, you can't be prosecuted for removing your DPF. However, last month VOSA introduced a visual inspection of the DPF during MOT. If the tester can see that the DPF has been removed then it is likely to fail, therefore most companies including us only remove the internal core leaving the outer casing in place.

I think you should get more clarification from Ford regarding what exactly is wrong with the tank. If the tank has a split in it and is leaking then this wouldn't actually bring on a MIL. If it helps, ask ford to supply you with a list of faults codes that are currently present on the system and post them on here so we can see exactly what the issue is.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 4 years later...

Did you get your DPF tank replaced in the end?? I topped mine up a month ago but have since had to have the filter replace as it was blocked. The tank is now completely empty so I'm wondering if mine has a leak?

• 1 year later...

I have a tank problem displays tank empty when its full and showing  DPF problems the car drives fine so going to get a second hand one and have that fitted,then reset etc , im told it must be the sender unit in the tank. At over £900 for a new im not going up that road.

• 1 year later...

I have same issue...600 quid to replace pat fluid tank..already paid 300 to have it topped up  ( fluid is VERY expensive) and dpf cleaned any car is only worth 1500 tops. I am going to trawl scrap yards for a second hand one .

The fluid is expensive but can be bought cheaper. You can get 3 bottles online for around £35 per bottle, so just over £100. Then about 30 mins work at A garage to do the top up and reset the level with software.

I had a similar issue with my old Ford Focus cc3. What it was, was that the sensor in the pat fluid tank was stuck. Therefore even with A full tank of fluid it would not register as being full. This also meant the fuel tank was not getting A dose of eolys fluid. This would eventually mean A knackered dpf and car killer. You could go down the second hand route from a srap yard. However that is risky as you wont know how good A condition the one you pick will be. Also I looked at the second hand route and the tanks at the time were still pretty expensive. I worked it out it was going to cost me £900-£1000 to sort it out. Also dont forget, A new tank means you need to buy more Eolys fluid again.

Sorry if that is negative but its a bugger of a problem.

Removing and deleting the dpf out of the system will sort that out more cost efficiently and more permanently.  I was told 7 years ago that this would lead to an MOT fail but that has not been my experience since then.

It is an option. But. A) you are doing damage to the environment and is unethical. B) every year they are getting smarter and more probing with MOT checks. Although removing the DPF is not illegal, driving a car on the road with out one which should be fitted is illegal.  Is it worth the risk? Go for an MOt in a couple fo years time and get caught out? worse, have an accident and it comes out after the insurance company has been through everything? Of course it is A personaly choice. But removing the dpf in 2021 is A very dodgy option.

Fair comment but are a few more NOX particles worth it to keep an otherwise perfectly serviceable car from going to the scrap yard due to uneconomical repair bills?  Then compare this to the environmental footprint of building a new car to replace the one that is scrapped.  Obviously the govt is trying to keep the economy running by encouraging the wage slaves to keep getting new cars on pcp or whatever under the pretense of greenness, but that's a discussion for another forum...

• Like 2

The DPF doesn't stop NOx...that's the EGR's job...and Ad Blue in later cars.

DPF only removes particulate matter (soot)...whether you're bothered about that depends where you drive.  Particulates don't have much impact on motorways (they're pretty heavy and just fall to the ground, unlike NOx or CO2).  If you idle for half an hour outside the school gates every afternoon then you might want to reconsider.

Also as mentioned before, my Mk2 did eventually fail due to the DPF removal after I sold it.  

• Exhaust on a vehicle fitted with a diesel particulate filter emits visible smoke of any colour (8.2.2.2 (d))
  • Exhaust emissions exceed manufacturer's specified limit (8.2.2.2 (a))

I was never keen on doing back then (5 years ago!) but definitely wouldn't do it nowadays.

Please dont think I am being judgmental. It really is your choice. But think its best you have all the info so you can make an informed decision. 

Just spoken with one of my friends who is an MOT mechanic. He says that if there is any sign of welding then you need to provide A certifiacte to say that it has been opened for cleaning purposes. He also said that for the emissions it needs to be .70? i dont understand that bit but you guys may well do?.

15 minutes ago, guy woodbridge said:

He also said that for the emissions it needs to be .70? i dont understand that bit but you guys may well do?.

That's the smoke test reading from the exhaust probe.

0.7 is for cars newer than 2014.

The latest poster has a 2007 model which will be 3.0.

Most modern cars also have the limit on the VIN plate and this should be used unless missing.  Can't remember if MK2 had one but my MK3 1.6 TDCi was only 0.55.

• Like 1

Ah right so that bit of info from me was prob

not useful. He probably was thinking I wa asking the current specs etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So did anybody manage to source a pat fluid tank and how  much. I layed out 300 quid , as mentioned before , 2x new sensors and new fluid and still goes into limp mode occasionally,  usually when I'm on a motorway...aaaagh🤨

1 hour ago, Dessieone said:

So did anybody manage to source a pat fluid tank and how  much. I layed out 300 quid , as mentioned before , 2x new sensors and new fluid and still goes into limp mode occasionally,  usually when I'm on a motorway...aaaagh🤨

Do you have a fault code to determine exactly where the fault lies?  

PAT fluid costs about £30 a litre...I'm unsure where your garage managed to fit 10 litres of it. :unsure: 

• 1 month later...

Total labour cost for all the work mate....pat fluid was  35 quid 

Was informed by garage  that the pat fluid tank has an integrated pump that has failed hence need to renew complete tank 🤨

Yes that is correct. There is A pump & sensor. When that goes you need new tank. A quick look on eBay, around £300-£550 depending on used recon or new.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club