Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over Revving

darren butler

Ok so I've been onto my local ford dealer in Wexford and they tell me that a standard battery is what my focus should run on and the alternator has been changed the man I bought it off says fords just to that but I've never seen any car to do it I'm really lost now

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darren butler

• jeebowhite

• artscot79

• Invisible Man

from what I know, and a quick google appears to verify, Smart Charge was used on the Focus from MK1.5 if not from the day the focus first leapt onto Ford Brochures.

I would like to say I am confused why Ford advised you that, but unless the computer jumps up and punches them in the face, some technicians wont know what Smart Charge is.

Try your other battery, but I would say silver calcium is still your best bet.

Where abouts are you located?

I think the easiest way to identify this is to have a multimeter, set it for up to 20v, start the engine, and put the red prong on the lead going onto the positive terminal (not the battery itself) and the black prong onto the cable going off the negative.

Whats the reading? if its a chunk over 12v then its smart charge, and you need silver calcium. If its less than 12v, try the same test with someone elses battery. If the result remains then you should be fine with lead acid, but if the new battery puts out over 12v then revert to silver calcium.

I'm in county wexford in Ireland mate I appreciate ur advice but think il have both battery and altenator tested and see from there because something is wrong and the quotes I'm getting to repair the altenator and so on are crazy

did you get the two tested?

I did mate the altenator isn't working correctly there's a bad connection somewhere it's cutting in and out but then another problem started

Sounds like the wire near the smart charge rig.

Many people have found the RED wire leading to the alternator and the smart charge connector can be broken or corroded. The answer is to cut that part of the wire out and solder in a good piece to resolve the issue.

Also check behind the wheel arch liner, as JohnH had a similar problem, bought a battery, another alternator and the issue wasnt resolved. It was this broken wire in the wheel arch that was repaired and resolved the issue.

Ya I kinda thought that the min u touch the wires going into the altenator it loses charge,but also as it was running idle this morn being tested it just started smoking out the exhaust have no idea why hence the comment earlier about buying ford trouble

if the alternator is disturbed and stops putting juice out, then the battery takes over, that might cause a momentarily lapse in power to the systems, this can upset the fuel distribution and could well explain why you ended up smoking out the tailpipe. Its entirely possible that this wire could be the culprit, its just a case of tracking her down!

I think u could b right the second you touch the wire just coming off the altenator it start to charge and lose power as you move the wire,that's good news about the smoke I was having visions of oil seals or rings gone which is something I just really couldn't afford

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Its a strong chance, as the if the battery isnt great anyway, then when it loses its source of power, its then waiting for the backup (battery) to take over. Its like a brownout, your power dips but comes back, but when your doing that with an appliance, that too dips and so it could be related.

I would say track down that, fix it, and worry about the smoke after! get the battery and alternator freshened up first of all and you will have an easier life diagnosing the smoke.

Thank you for the advice I should have it sorted tomorrow and hopefully the smoke is just fuel related and not a serious job,it just happened all of a sudden when the car was being tested

good luck and fingers crossed its an easy fix!

if you disconnect it then you will only run on the battery, so no it wont work?

What was the final verdict?

The over revving was caused by a bust pipe under the manifold, the charging issue was the plug going into the altenator was making a bad connection so seems to b sorted now

Result! the two can seem so similar but at least its sorted... the question is, how much remortgaging did you do to pay it off? :p

that is a good result!

• 2 weeks later...

use the aircon once a month at least to keep it in tip top condition. If you havent used it before you might need a regass (from about £35 if you look around) then just regularly use it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club