Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Failed Actuator. Can It Be Driven?

Raggedyman

Hi folks. I've just fallen foul of the flashing glow plug lamp. I have looked inside the actuator and found two broken wire connections. Can anyone tell what the consequences of driving the car would be? I have found a company that will recondition my unit and will return it within a week. This also carries a lifetime warranty but obviously I have to send the unit to them. Like most, I can't afford time off work and gave no other way to get there. Can I still use the car while this unit is off.

Thanks.

The engine is protected by the ECU, if the boost goes above a certain threshhold the ECU will go into "limp home" mode or even shut the engine off

So it should be able to be driven (carefully/ you may not have full power/ may not be able to use full throttle or full revs/ may have to "drive around" it)

it all depends on the position the VNT vanes are stuck in

the actuator controls the VNT vanes - which controls the peak boost and the rate the turbo spools - with the actuator not working the vanes will no longer controlled, this could mean too little boost too much boost (which can trigger ,limp mode) laggy, or lack of top end power

Another point to consider is the VNT vanes tend to get coked up with carbon, they can stick or sieze - this may (often) cause actuator failure - the actuator could fail again and again until the VNT vanes are refurbad or replaced - the exhaust manifold has to be taken off for access to the VNT vanes & mechanism

Thanks for the reply. When I removed it earlier, I managed to reconnect the broken wires. It ran fine but obviously my efforts failed.

The problem I have is that I work 20 miles away and so need it for work. So long as I am not going to blow the engine up or anything, I'll use it while I send the actuator away.

Thanks for the reply. When I removed it earlier, I managed to reconnect the broken wires. It ran fine but obviously my efforts failed.

The problem I have is that I work 20 miles away and so need it for work. So long as I am not going to blow the engine up or anything, I'll use it while I send the actuator away.

As long as you are careful you should be ok, (gently does it not a good time to run the car hard) if it goes into limp mode you can reset it

The turbo may run hotter than usual - best to keep an eye on it

It may be possible to adjust the actuator rod manually so the vanes are fixed in a good position (not to cause too much boost)

Ideally a boost gauge would be useful to keep an eye on the boost level

You could give this guy a try on eBay. He breaks mondeos.

seller:mondeo-sports-spares

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club