Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MP3 Genius Required!

10corsham

In about 4-5 weeks (I hope ) I shall take delivery of a shiny new Fiesta. (never owned a Ford before) I have read a great deal about the car (thanks to the forum). I have also been studying

an owner's handbook at the dealer's showroom.

I am confused about what I have read concerning MP3/CD playback. I have been fiddling about with MP3/CDs for some time and have stored some 6500 mp3 tracks on CDs.

These tracks can be played back either in my Toshiba portable player, my computer, a Siemens car CD/radio or a Panasonic player... without any problem.

When I read the Fiesta handbook; I wonder how I managed!

On page 164 I read .. 'You can play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROMs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs'

(No problem so far) (It continues) 'The disc must be in the ISO 9660 level 1 or 2 format, or Joliet or Romeo in the expansion format. You can also use a disc recorded in Multi-Session.

Now; I do not know what the hell they are talking about!

Further down the page I read 'For Joliet and Romeo in the expansion format, please consider these restrictions when configuring your CD writing software'

I've heard about Romeo and Juliet but who the dickens are Joliet and Romeo! Will any average Fiesta owner understand this? (Or care)

Would some brave forum member accept the challenge and read the right hand column of page 164 and tell me what's going on and put me out of my misery!

Alternatively should I tear page 164 out of the handbook and quietly have a nervous breakdown? Or I could ignore all of this and put one of my MP3/CDs in the slot.(I bet it works). If it does, I shall not bother with page 164 but simply throw the whole handbook away!

In about 4-5 weeks (I hope ) I shall take delivery of a shiny new Fiesta. (never owned a Ford before) I have read a great deal about the car (thanks to the forum). I have also been studying

an owner's handbook at the dealer's showroom.

I am confused about what I have read concerning MP3/CD playback. I have been fiddling about with MP3/CDs for some time and have stored some 6500 mp3 tracks on CDs.

These tracks can be played back either in my Toshiba portable player, my computer, a Siemens car CD/radio or a Panasonic player... without any problem.

When I read the Fiesta handbook; I wonder how I managed!

On page 164 I read .. 'You can play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROMs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs'

(No problem so far) (It continues) 'The disc must be in the ISO 9660 level 1 or 2 format, or Joliet or Romeo in the expansion format. You can also use a disc recorded in Multi-Session.

Now; I do not know what the hell they are talking about!

Further down the page I read 'For Joliet and Romeo in the expansion format, please consider these restrictions when configuring your CD writing software'

I've heard about Romeo and Juliet but who the dickens are Joliet and Romeo! Will any average Fiesta owner understand this? (Or care)

Would some brave forum member accept the challenge and read the right hand column of page 164 and tell me what's going on and put me out of my misery!

Alternatively should I tear page 164 out of the handbook and quietly have a nervous breakdown? Or I could ignore all of this and put one of my MP3/CDs in the slot.(I bet it works). If it does, I shall not bother with page 164 but simply throw the whole handbook away!

I just use the MP3 Audio Disk setting on my burning software and it's works fine.

Normally on any CD writing software, eg NERO or Adaptec if you choose the Burn MP3 CD option then these settings are the most common (well they have been every time I've used them).. so you shouldn't really need to worry.

Have you actually tried putting this disc in to the player and tried it, to see if it works?

*EDIT* Just notices that you haven't taken delivery yet.. :lol: I've got many MP3 CD's and they work without any issue.

Just about any MP3 cd will play on it so don't worry about all that jargon in the hand book.

Incidentally it means jack s**t to me as well! ;)

I rip / burn my cds using Ashampoo burning studio and it works just fine.

Romeo and Joliet are formatting types used for CDs. Similar to FAT32 and NTFS for hard drives. You don't have to worry about these at all since it's the standard format for CDs these days.

It's all about how the filename's are stored in the Compact Disc's filesystem. ISO 9660 is the standard (it supports two iterations of the standard), and Joliet or Romeo are extensions to the standard.

Basically it means that the CD Player can pretty much read the files that most computers will save them as.

Multi-session is for when burning the CD's. Some players require the disc to be "finalised" before being able to read it, whereas others can read it still open, and therefore you can add more to the disc at a later date.

Translation:

Burn it any way you like, it'll still skip, pause and generally sound like crap anyways.

(This is certianly true on Early Fiestas, I have my fingers crossed for you that it's been sorted out in the current build)

Chris...

Translation:

Burn it any way you like, it'll still skip, pause and generally sound like crap anyways.

(This is certianly true on Early Fiestas, I have my fingers crossed for you that it's been sorted out in the current build)

Chris...

That's unfair Turboman--the Mark 7 stereo system is very good and, certainly in my car, it doesn't pause or skip or sound bad.

I agree with the first bit "burn it any way you like" though! :P

That's unfair Turboman--the Mark 7 stereo system is very good and, certainly in my car, it doesn't pause or skip or sound bad.

I agree with the first bit "burn it any way you like" though! :P

It's just mine then :P At least the radio works. Until they switch the signal to digital that is... :(

Until they switch the signal to digital that is... :(

That'll mean another flipping upgrade I suppose............ :blink:

I guess the tens of people on here and on other forums (myself included) having problems are just imagining it then?

You might have the later firmware hedgepig. That's good news!!

The next 'challenge' to us poor peeps with problems is GETTING that firmware - and as yet most Ford dealers don't have a clue, unfortunatly! :-(

Chris...

I guess the tens of people on here and on other forums (myself included) having problems are just imagining it then?

You might have the later firmware hedgepig. That's good news!!

The next 'challenge' to us poor peeps with problems is GETTING that firmware - and as yet most Ford dealers don't have a clue, unfortunatly! :-(

Chris...

I think I've managed to temporarily fix my skipping problems by keeping the number of MP3s on my Cds below 80. It's around about 500mb. I know it's about 150-200mb of wasted space but it's not too bad. Cds are cheap as chips anyway.

My Take That compilation CD (74 songs) and power ballads (66 songs) didn't sip and I tried a few CDs with 99 but that skipped. So I thought I'd play it safe with 80 and everything seems fine so far.

These are all burnt at 1x speed in iTunes. Take That is a data CD, Power ballads is an MP3 cd, didn't seem to make a difference.

My friend hates Take That, which is why I've made a compilation CD. There's enough for the trip to and from London! :lol:

I think I've managed to temporarily fix my skipping problems by keeping the number of MP3s on my Cds below 80. It's around about 500mb. I know it's about 150-200mb of wasted space but it's not too bad. Cds are cheap as chips anyway.

My Take That compilation CD (74 songs) and power ballads (66 songs) didn't sip and I tried a few CDs with 99 but that skipped. So I thought I'd play it safe with 80 and everything seems fine so far.

These are all burnt at 1x speed in iTunes. Take That is a data CD, Power ballads is an MP3 cd, didn't seem to make a difference.

My friend hates Take That, which is why I've made a compilation CD. There's enough for the trip to and from London! :lol:

At the moment I cannot comment since my Fiesta has not yet appeared. When it does I

will know how the MP3/CD player reacts. If it starts skipping and jumping then I will

start skipping and jumping in the dealer’s showroom. (I shall also bite chunks out of the

steering wheel!)

However, I do not expect any of the salesman to offer any useful guidance. I shall send a

letter of complaint (recorded delivery) to Ford HQ (wherever that is... Brentwood?) I'll

address it to the audio department. Among other things I shall point out that I do not

expect problems with a vehicle that has attracted such an enormous fanfare.

If any forum member has any further info about a 'firmware/cure' for this problem, I

would appreciate any news..

I tried a very plain disk with ten tracks on it - all in the root folder, all bog standard vanilla with short filenames.

Still skips! :(

It's just mine then :P At least the radio works. Until they switch the signal to digital that is... :(

That's what's got me too. This damn Digital Britain rubbish states that the government WANTS us to go to DAB Plus, that means the majority of DAB radios from Pure for example will also be useless and won't work, not to mention it has been stated DAB doesn't work without fault when your driving anyway due to the reception.

Either way I hope Ford will offer some sort of upgrade box as the stereo is implemented into the dash do much it's not easy to change.

On the topic, yes as said those are format standards fro CD's, and if you make a CD and it skips or jumps, buy a different make of blank disk and try again as not all makes are compatible with all players.

• 11 years later...

Can anyone help! I’ve had a CD made with songs put onto it but when I put it in it just comes up with CD-Rom and no sound! 
Is it something to do with the format or the disc?? 
When I put normal CD’s in they work every time so I’m wondering whether it is because this one is homemade? 

thanks so much in advance, I’m so desperate to get it working! 

Margo 

18 minutes ago, Margo333 said:

Can anyone help! I’ve had a CD made with songs put onto it but when I put it in it just comes up with CD-Rom and no sound! 
Is it something to do with the format or the disc?? 
When I put normal CD’s in they work every time so I’m wondering whether it is because this one is homemade? 

thanks so much in advance, I’m so desperate to get it working! 

Margo 

are the files burnt on root directory or in files - need to be on root

what format are the music files?

convert the audio into MP3 format and burn the MP3 files on to a CD-R formatted as a DATA CD.

Alternately use apple car play on your phone if you have bluetooth or use usb if connected to audio system.

8 hours ago, st line x 140 driver said:

are the files burnt on root directory or in files - need to be on root

what format are the music files?

convert the audio into MP3 format and burn the MP3 files on to a CD-R formatted as a DATA CD.

Alternately use apple car play on your phone if you have bluetooth or use usb if connected to audio system.

OP has a 2007 Fiesta so won't have Car Play or USB

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club