Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Off road tyres

Geordie Hillbilly

Can anyone advise on good off road tyres for the Ranger?? The OE size doesn't allow you to get anything the same. How much "play" is there in going to a different size and what would the effects be if any? I've got an 09 ranger automatic.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

dunno if you got them sorted already. popular ones with 4x4's

50 tarmac - 50 mud:

BF GOODRICH A/T

60 tramac - 40 mud:

COOPER S/T

those are the best 50/50 tyres money will buy but for the sizeing you may have to speak to kwik fit or even better if you have a 4x4 prep workshop near you ask them.

what size are the standard tyres on the ranger and i'll see if i can find some.

I ran BFG A/T KOs in 245/75r16 on my 07 Ranger (new shape). Ride noticeably deteriorated due to the triple side walls flexing a lot less. Run them at the standard pressures, some folk say you have to over inflate them and all sorts of crazy suggestions.

I think yours are 245/70r16 as standard, BFG make an A/T KO in that size too. For more aggressive and muddy work consider the BFG M/T KM. As the other replier suggests the Cooper range are also very good, think the model I would use were something like SST or STT.

I did a lot of research on this subject and found that some utility companies had fitted 265/75r16 tyres to theirs, but had problems with them rubbing. I was told that 245/75r16 is the largest sensible size without causing problems. The next size tyre was a 255/70r16, but TBH I couldn't be bothered risking it.

Try having a look at some of the Government/Municipal departments for African nations as they seem to have deals with Ford to buy Rangers now. Libya for one have been using them as one of the standard Police fleet. Any mods would have been sorted out by these guys.

Hope that helps,

Harvey

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club