Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Perhaps I need to get a life the same as others seem to already have done lol 

A what!? :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't like that the company that owns the parking spaces next to my car at work has left and builders have started to dump their materials with a forklift right next to my car. I've told reception that I wouldn't normally choose to park my car next to a building site and it's not what I expect from 'secure indoor parking' :ranting:

Part 2 follows on the other thread...

• Like 1

I don't like that Esso super unleaded is now 10p per litre more than standard unleaded (it was 3p per litre more when I bought the ST) :ranting:

50 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

A what!? :unsure:

Looks like there's more than 2 of us 😂

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TimST2 said:

I don't like that the company that owns the parking spaces next to my car at work has left and builders have started to dump their materials with a forklift right next to my car. I've told reception that I wouldn't normally choose to park my car next to a building site and it's not what I expect from 'secure indoor parking' :ranting:

Part 2 follows on the other thread...

How big is the car park? With me I park away from everyone especially when I go hospital in the staff parking. If there's no mark on the car thats a good sign but I know the feeling when you know a certain vehicle has gone near your car. 

How big is the car park? With me I park away from everyone especially when I go hospital in the staff parking. If there's no mark on the car thats a good sign but I know the feeling when you know a certain vehicle has gone near your car. 

Huge, but the spaces are all allocated. The spaces next to mine just became free and they're near the entrance door so convenient for the builders who are fitting out floor 6. 

My worry with the builders is that they were loading and unloading wall panels with a forklift a a foot away from my car...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't like that one of my colleague's is retiring tomorrow and another is on 3 weeks leave (getting married at the weekend then honeymoon etc.).

Two of the three competent (should really say truly excellent, hardworking and thoughtful) admin team gone leaving the incompetent, lazy, bitchy, waste of space one behind 🤬!!

**Edit**
I also didn't like coming down with a cough and cold on Saturday meaning that I missed out on the buffet lunch we had arranged for my colleague who's retiring.

• Like 2

Loophole?

The road safety charity Brake called it a "landmark day" and urged the UK to adopt the regulation after Brexit

On 3/24/2019 at 8:29 PM, Turvey said:

I don't like our Blu-ray player releasing the magic smoke this evening! 

Ok, it's a few years old but it's not been used much 🙄

IMG_20190324_202604496.jpg

I don't like my phone memory card becoming corrupted and making all my installed apps unworkable 🙄

2 electronic breakdowns, bound to be a third! 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I don't like my phone memory card becoming corrupted and making all my installed apps unworkable 🙄

2 electronic breakdowns, bound to be a third! 

Try plugging the phone into a computer via USB then access the memory card through the computer; this pathway may work and allow you to salvage files.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TimST2 said:

BBC News - Road safety: EU plans vehicle speed limiters from 2022
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

So. Many. Questions.

Yes indeed. This stuff was predicted in the motoring press some time ago so not really a surprise, and it is likely going to apply here in or out of the EU as we have already agreed to keep common standards.

The speed limiter seems to operate in a similar way to the existing Ford system ie when it kicks in it can be overridden by pushing the accelerator harder. It is apparently going to be triggered by GPS (again, similar to the existing Ford speed warning and traffic sign recognition systems so just a link between the two and job done. It may already be in there, just not activated.)I

A worry that immediately came to mind is that for years to come there will be a mix of cars with/without these systems. For example, what happens if you have a 2022 vehicle but are being tailgate by an older one, and go from say a 40 to a 30 limit and the systems suddenly drop your speed 10mph?

Most of this would seem to depend on GPS data being comprehensive and up to date, as well as top-notch GPS reception in cars. So unless Sync 3 is properly sorted in the next few years, we Ford drivers will probably not be affected!😀

Don't some people reckon GPS won't work when/if we leave the EU?

8 hours ago, Turvey said:

GPS is American.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:
The speed limiter seems to operate in a similar way to the existing Ford system ie when it kicks in it can be overridden by pushing the accelerator harder.

Good.

8 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:
A worry that immediately came to mind is that for years to come there will be a mix of cars with/without these systems. For example, what happens if you have a 2022 vehicle but are being tailgate by an older one, and go from say a 40 to a 30 limit and the systems suddenly drop your speed 10mph?

Wouldn't it just limit power, so be like taking your foot off the gas as you come into a 30 limit now?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It's only a throttle limiter so won't ever brake, it'll just gently slow down.  

I don't like receiving the letter about my rent going up again this year. :sad:  I knew it was coming, but had been kind of blocking it out lol.  This will be the third year in a row of a £25pcm increase.  I know it's not illegal or even against our tenancy agreement but surely this isn't standard practice?  I daren't challenge it as there isn't anywhere cheaper locally and I'm worried they'd just give me my notice and get a more wealthy tenant in.  I've thought about a static caravan in a park but it seems you can only live in those for 11 months of the year...don't really understand why that would be though.  Anyone on here live somewhere 'outside the box' that might be cheaper than standard renting?    

15 minutes ago, TimST2 said:

Wouldn't it just limit power, so be like taking your foot off the gas as you come into a 30 limit now?

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's only a throttle limiter so won't ever brake, it'll just gently slow down.  

Yes, I imagined it would work like the Ford limiter does, ie in a "soft" way. I had read somewhere though a comment on the lines "vehicles driving too fast when a speed limit changes will be automatically slowed down". It may (or may not!) all become clearer as details emerge.

Wonder what effect this will have on car values. Will values of "dangerous" ones fall - or rise because they are sought after?

30 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I don't think our Tom Tom's voted for brexit 😂🤔

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lenny said:

Try plugging the phone into a computer via USB then access the memory card through the computer; this pathway may work and allow you to salvage files.

I did try that, also put the card into a card reader as well, wouldn't even format in the comp or phone 😞

Hmm, further to my previous issues with the new insurance company asking for logbook etc they have now changed the purchase date, saving me 7p but costing £20 admin fee.  Can I challenge that?  I accept I got the date wrong but charging £20 to reduce the premium by 7 pence for something that makes no difference in the event of a claim seems utterly ridiculous!?

They're also now asking for copies of my named driver's licence within 2 days which I have no way of getting, I don't live with or even near them.

As I'm still within 14 days of starting the insurance, can I cancel it and go elsewhere with no charge or not?  I've not had to do this before so no idea how it works but I've already had enough of this company within the 1st week...I dread to think what would happen if I need to claim in the future!

41 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

As I'm still within 14 days of starting the insurance, can I cancel it and go elsewhere with no charge or not?  

I think if you cancel within the 14 days cooling off period you are entitled to your money back less a proportionate charge for any days you have been covered if the policy term had actually started. However they are entitled to deduct a "reasonable" admin charge also, which from what you say so far may not be what we would think of as reasonable.

This company certainly sounds like one to avoid - never been asked anything like this in 50 years of bike/car insurance!

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, TimST2 said:

I don't like that Esso super unleaded is now 10p per litre more than standard unleaded (it was 3p per litre more when I bought the ST) :ranting:

I don't like that I can remember petrol being 6s 8d a gallon when I first bought it!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Turvey said:

GPS is American, Galileo is the EU version and GLONASS is the Russian one.  All 3 can be used by most modern GPS receivers.  The only one you might struggle with is Beidou - the Chinese system that only works in China

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, further to my previous issues with the new insurance company asking for logbook etc they have now changed the purchase date, saving me 7p but costing £20 admin fee.  Can I challenge that?  I accept I got the date wrong but charging £20 to reduce the premium by 7 pence for something that makes no difference in the event of a claim seems utterly ridiculous!?

They're also now asking for copies of my named driver's licence within 2 days which I have no way of getting, I don't live with or even near them.

As I'm still within 14 days of starting the insurance, can I cancel it and go elsewhere with no charge or not?  I've not had to do this before so no idea how it works but I've already had enough of this company within the 1st week...I dread to think what would happen if I need to claim in the future!

Ask your named driver to photgraph/scan their license and email it to the insurance company - so long as they have the policy number there shouldn't be any issues.

Assuming that your policy has started and you're within the 14 days, then you should be able to cancel for a full refund (minus the cost of any days cover you've had). I'd be querying the admin fee though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I don't like that I can remember petrol being 6s 8d a gallon when I first bought it!😀

I remember filling a five gallon can for a pound🙁