Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Whats Wrong With Kwik Fit Anyway? - Where Do We Start!?!

jeebowhite

haha, so I got an email from breakeryard.com (I get their monthly newsletter).

The big question for this month.... "Whats wrong with Kwik Fit?

http://www.breakeryard.com/blog/whats-wrong-with-kwik-fit/?utm_source=Customers-10-2013&utm_campaign=55eb87301c-May_2015_E_to_K_Newsletter_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c085751039-55eb87301c-74462477

To summarise the article for those who cant read it, 2 forensic mechanics took ten cars and gave them the once over. Of those 10 cars, 4 where returned by Kwik Fit, citing up to £700 worth of problems that were not urgent, or for that matter unnecessary. Likewise, 7 cars that went in for the free brake and tyre check, where not even inspected correctly.

I make that between 40% - 70% failure rates on average!!! I wonder why they arent trusted?

All I can say is I agree with all of the above quoted.

I was quoted for a new turbo on the CMAX as it had apparently suffered a blow and was going to eat itself alive.... as well as all the tyres apparently being under the legal minimum, yet all of them were above 2.6mm, bar one which was 1.8. I was also told things like the engine sump needed doing and my suspension was bad.

I have had battery and alternator checks where apparently the alternator was dead, they even did that on a brand new alternator on my focus years ago, that was working perfectly fine!

So, lets open the doors. They want to know whats wrong with Kwik Fit, share your stories!

I wonder what " the sump needed doing" Doing what exactly? it's a metal pan lol. is it leaking?? No then it's "working" just fine.

I will never let them touch a car of mine, I nearly took my old Clio to them out of desperation to do the Clutch, which is like £500 for a pro / expert to do it ( pig of a job ) they said they'd do it for £199..... Probably only once for that price but bottled it in the end.

they did the wifes tyres fine a few months back, only cheapo Dunlops for £50 each but a guy was in there asking about tracking on his 5 series, he looked quite puzzled when they mentioned the steering rack had to come out to check it........ I whispered to him.. "run"

Never gone near Kwik Fit, never will!

Kwik-Fit- how to run a garage and make lots of profit.

They feed on the huge number of motorists who simply don't have a clue about cars but have a credit card.

Thier managers are under pressure to meet sales targets and will do work thats not needed simply to boost their figures.

It's sad coz the guys who are on the workshop floor are often decent hard working blokes.

I'm a breakdown/recovery driver and never advise any-one to use them as I could fill a book with the experiences I've had and heard

One of the problems is that any good local garages are always busy, and can't always do your work right away.

• Like 1

I have used them once for tyres and once for a basic service (oil and filter change ) both times I was told the car was dangerous, I neglected to tell them an mot with a dealer hadn't said that but humoured them and got some interesting costs, the turbo I could get for 450 recon unit with a 3 month warranty and 120 fitting costs or I could go non oem new for 700,the sump needed changing well they told me it could also be the sump pan and they would know half way through the job but that was at least 85 quid. Also the brakes were dangerously low (really, they got a big tick off ford) and I could have their pads for life on all corners for just over 200 quid.

The only other thing I bought from them was a tin of bg244,i was also told the filler neck was not allowing the tin to go in quickly and might need replacing, that was a rather generous 250 quid job for a drop of the fuel tank and replacing the neck.

I asked him about dropping the rear subframe and told him you can't remove the tank without doing that, he went out and said they wouldn't touch the job then.

I then told him that he did realise the funnel I gave him had a bung in the bottom. And that would slow the flow down, and I was questioned as to why I would do that. Told him straight it's my car, its my filler neck and I like to see how much they would charge me for removing a bung from a funnel. Oddly I don't think they were too pleased with my assessment of the situation.

• Like 1

Used them in Chichester for years ( 2006 - 2014 ) for tyres, M.O.T.'s, aircon' regassing & oil changes - never had any issues.

Told him straight it's my car, its my filler neck and I like to see how much they would charge me for removing a bung from a funnel.

Funniest thing I've seen all day :lol:

• Like 1

I used them once in my first week of driving...service was so poor I decided to learn to fix my own car from then on.

I was let out after 4 hours with poorly bled brakes, incorrectly adjusted shoes and 'greased' handbrake cables.

Took it straight back for more fluid and a proper brake bleed. Then had to take it to another garage to be rectified!

Now only use garages for things I literally can't afford the tools for and MOT. Oh and I'll never use kwiks*it again!

• Like 1

Once went for remoulds (shows how long ago that was) and was offered a tyre with the beading cut 'on the cheap' and when I pointed out the beading was cut the guy offered to fit an inner tube!!!

Oh, I also had a fiesta mk3 tracking done where they only adjusted one side and wondered why my steering wheel wouldn't centralise then they wanted to strip the steering down to fix it! (Pillocks)

I last used them to get a battery/alternator check on a cavalier and after 5 of them huffed & puffed they decided I needed a new battery at £75 ...... Turned out my alternator was knackered! Never again ........

Well the battery and alternator are so very close lol

You cant get better than a kwikfit fitter, they're the boys to trust!

• Like 1

Many garages rip you off if they think you know naff all about cars.

Kwik-fit is just more blatant about it.

• Like 1

They have the same business model as PCWorld really.

As ColinFO said, they profit from people who don't have a clue and sell them overpriced things they don't need.

• Like 1

Years back when I had my first car and the front tyres were nearing the limits I took it to a local kwik-fit, a guy came out and measured the depth then told me they still had some life left in them and it wasn't worth changing yet! Got to respect them for that lol.

• Like 1

That is a new one!

Went for an mot a couple of years ago and the car failed for so many reasons? I'm not a mechanic but but I know a thing or two. I challenge the guy who tests my car to give me some explanation and raised my own opinion when he realised that I know what I'm saying he called the manager and the manager offered to test the car again and guess what? ..The car past it's mot. I WILL NEVER GO BACK IN KWIK FIT

Shock horror ey!

Years back when I had my first car and the front tyres were nearing the limits I took it to a local kwik-fit, a guy came out and measured the depth then told me they still had some life left in them and it wasn't worth changing yet! Got to respect them for that lol.

Poor guy will have been for fired for that... :lol:
  • Like 1

Last year my, daughters C1's rear exhaust box was rattling. Apparently, it's a known fault. I was taking it to the local garage that services and MOTs the family cars so I know I can trust them. Being a sod I decided to pop into Kwikcrap on the way. They told me the whole exhaust had to be replaced at a cost of £350!!! Local garage cost her......£47 supply and fit.

I used to have to use these thieves when I had a company car. Wound me up every time I had to take the car there.

• Like 1

We have a contract with them for tyres on our patrol cars.

They're good for that as they know they can't take the pi---- mickey and claim we need loads doing.

I don't rate them for anything else, they leave you to hang around for ages while they suss out how clued-up you are about cars then plan their assault on your wallet accordingly.

• Like 2

I once took a loose wheel into them to get a puncture fixed and they refused saying it was was below minimum tread depth :rolleyes: as if that was any of their business what I wanted to use the wheel for once it was repaired! And nothing to do with wanting to force me to buy a tyre off them.

Declined to line their pockets and waited a day (was a bank holiday for New Year) to take it to a depot run by a good friend. Tyre still had over the minimum for the 75% central section and he said while you could still see the slightest amount of tread extending to the edge of tyre it was legal.

Funny why people don't tend to go to them twice!

• Like 1

was home one year visit daughter light was flashing on dash for oil service went to the robbers oil and filter changed driving up the road and the under tray fell of the Passat never again

Had an argument with them over my AC.

Took it in for a regas (special offer). It was working, just not very well.

They hooked it up to the machine, drained it and did a pressure/leak test and it wouldn't hold. No obvious signs of a leak...soo they drained it again and pulled it back around for me.

(The technician was an 18 yo lass who had just returned to work after doing her AC Tech course)

"It won't take it, mate. We can't see any obvious leaks - I reckon it might be your compressor!"

"Right. So, now what?"

"Well, we can get our Master Tech to look at it for you"

"How much will that cost me?"

"£35 for him to do diagnostics and maybe £450+VAT for a new compressor"

"No thanks."

"Don't mind, we can book him for you and..."

"No. My compressor is fine."

"I don't think so - I tried running it on the way round and it won't kick in!"

"You say the system is empty?"

"Yeah"

"Then it won't work will it?!"

"It should do - should still engage the compressor!"

"And f*** the compressor? No. The system has a low pressure auto-cut off...

"But it should still engage!"

"...that prevents the compressor engaging with no gas - because the gas also has the oil in it!"

"But it should still engage!"

"I'll take it somewhere else..."

"Oh. Well, there's no charge"

You can probably guess what thought I had there...

Went round the corner later that day, 10 minutes before closing and they did the leak test twice (I explained the above and the chap tried his best not to say anything lol). Filled it up and whaddya know...it worked perfectly!! Popped in a week later for a quick pressure check - perfect!!

• Like 1

did you tell quick fit that it worked ok from other garage

No - I was too annoyed with them, and they had closed when I got my car back (the 2nd garage took almost an hour just to be 100% sure there was nothing wrong!! Considering I rocked up 10 minutes before closing, I was very impressed!!)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club