Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Feed To Turbo

Gavpeds

Hi all so I have a question. Recently got a focus 1.6 TDCI Euro4 Estate.

It's been fine but looks like it had a new turbo at some point before I got it.

Yesterday I had to explore the engine as have been having a whooshing noise every time the turbo kicks in. Turns out i have a split in one of the pipes. The split is in the rippled part of the pipe just to the left of the oil filler cap. Looks like this one $_57.JPG

Anyway read about these having trouble with the oil feed to the turbo and the filters being blocked in the sump and else where.

My thinking is if it had a new turbo it likely burnt out and now having a split in a pipe could the feed be blocked?

I don't want to burn this new turbo out so wanted your thoughts and maybe an idea of how easy it is to clean these filters??

Thanks

that's apart of the intake manifold coming up from the intercooler and joining the manifold at the top.

Not related to turbo problems at all mate so panic not, probably a weak spot in the plastic that over repeated cycles of pressure increase has created a stress fracture. or something similar to that!

what makes you think the turbo has been replaced?

The 1.6 TDCI is a fun engine to have, has a lot of good qualities but has some fundamental flaws as well, she needs a lot of TLC!

edit

As for cleaning the banjo bolt filter, its a pain in the !Removed!, sump needs removed, which means the exhaust needs taken off, which, depending if you have a DPF or not, means that needs removed, which in turn means the radiator fan needs taken out.

Keep the oil clean, change it every 6k, if you empty the oil and its lumpy then its time to start sorting it out as its asking for trouble, I picked up mine at 53k, oil was like pea soup, ive done a fair amount of work to her and now each oil change is lump free. when I have the time and cash ill be taking off the sump to clean it properly but for now its looking good.

Get the EGR blanked off ASAP, change the oil every 6k, check for injector leakage every couple of weeks, if you have a DPF, consider having it "fixed" use a good fuel or use additives to keep injectors clean, don't use oil flushes and if you want to take it a bit further, install a oil catch can on to the breather pipe to prevent oil entering the inlet manifold

Thanks for all the info ;) I am guessing the turbo is new as its sparkling with new label on it and not a mark on it. Wow sounds like a right nightmare so will leave that for now.

Why do you say don't use oil flush.

It does have a DPF no idea how old it is. It doesn't look that mucky but who knows.

What does blanking the egr do?

Thanks again.

oil flushes sound good, the problem is that they can loosen deposits which then blocks stuff up, you would need to go through several flushes followed by fresh oil each time to make sure its clean and free of floating crap!

The DPF in your car will be a problem at some point, how long that is depends on your driving style and the length of trips you and its previous owners did. It will block and it will stop your car from working and it will cost a small fortune to fix (until the next time it fills up), it might also contribute to blowing your turbo!

in short, the DPF heats up and turns soot in to ash, the ash will accumulate in the DPF and block it.

If the car cant get hot enough and its starting to full up (increases back pressure) it will automatically start an active regen, itll send fuel in to the DPF and attempt to make it hot enough, this will happen every now and then, usually every few hundred miles and is normal. where it becomes a problem is when you cant heat it up enough, if your car ends up in limp mode and your DPF is full, your gonna hve a bad day, so its always good practice to boot it for a good long distance once every couple of weeks, mind this passive and active regens only burn the soot and turn it in to smaller particles of ash.

also Mind this will only delay the inevitable, the DPF will fill with ash and it will stop working at some point, ford say around the 60 to 75k mark

the EGR takes some of the exhaust gases and passes them back in to the inlet manifold, this air is full of carbon and all sorts of crap that will get ingested in the engine. Worse still, it binds to the oil from the breather producing a sticky black paste that sticks to everything, it will slowly kill your engine and potentially contribute to carbon build up in the oil.

course these things are there for a reason, to reduce emissions, so there are some legal issues and can be hotly debated on here, my argument is that these rules are made by people that never really need to worry about dealing with the problems that follow, at the very least id get that EGR blocked off and get regular oil changes!

• Like 1

Thanks, yes I suppose it makes sense re the oil flush. I have heard of others getting the DPF taken out and the egr blanked. How does this affect MOT's will it be a problem?

D.P.F. removal is illegal.

Blanking the the E.G.R.V. is the best thing you can do to your car for under £5 :)

• Like 1

yeah, your messing with the emissions, even blanking the EGR is,

That's a no no in the eyes of the law.

MOTs. if they cant see it and it doesn't blow smoke, they wont fail it

Insurance, tricky one, would you know if it had already been done by previous owner? I wouldn't know and it passed the MOT sooo read in to that what you will

• Like 1

Thanks guys I thought as much.

Guys will having this split in the inlet pipe make the car smoke and go into limp mode as just happened on the bypass. I expect it probably would as loosing air intake but just checking. Got a new one on order so hopefully can get this sorted soon.

Yep, will cause a massive boost leak giving your symptoms.

• Like 2

So got the part and all fixed. Then noticed this bit with cable ties all over it! What is this bit? Seems to be leaking a bit of air as well! Grrr. post-66511-143499900713_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some numpty has broken the plastic clips on the breather pipe, its no biggy, without the ties you will find that it sprays a small amount of oil down the pipe towards the turbo, bar making a mess, its not a major problem, new pipe and clip will cost you about £15 from ford, cheap options from eBay are no good, they leak

where do you think its leaking air?

It's leaking around the circular bit just at the front. Pretty much inline with the join of the pipe in front. It seems like this circular bit is not separate from the whole rocker cover. I know it's probably not a rocker cover but can't think what it's called lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

hmm, take a pic and mark on it where you mean

Here we go. post-66511-14350042424_thumb.jpg

An that's leaking air? small amount or quite a bit?

the air from the fan is deflected up from the gear box through this area, I was convinced I had a leak in the turbo pipes but it was just the air being moved by the fan.

anyhow, that is just apart of the breather system, not really sure why there is a cap there but hey ho!

if its leaking there will be a film of oil on everything around it, clean it up if its a mess and see what happens.

Thanks it's not loads. But could feel it. Couldn't quite tell where it was coming from until I licked my finger and held it there definitely coming from that cap. Don't think there is any oil around that area though so prob not to bad

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club