Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty Nokia Bluetooth Module In 09 Zetec

Stouff

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone could help. I've got an 09 58 plate Mk7 Zetec, which came with the low level bluetooth functionality, but no USB, just an aux input. I've had the car from brand new and the stereo with bluetooth worked fine for the first 3 and a half years. Then I noticed that when listening to my iPod on the aux, the stereo would mute unexpectedly. I found when I switched the head unit off and back on again, it would come good. I eventually realised that when the aux input wasn't working, the bluetooth wouldn't work either. pressing either the aux button or the phone button would do nothing, although the CD and radio continued to function as normal. Then one day, the aux and bluetooth stopped working altogether. I did some reading and found the unit (it's a Nokia). I re-seated the cables and disconnected the battery to no avail. I gather from some other posts I've seen that the Nokia units were prone to failure.

Then I discovered that my battery was flattening. I'd not drive it for 3 days and it wouldn't even turn over. I gather that the Nokia unit was still drawing current from the battery even when the ignition was switched off. I've since disconnected the unit altogether (which seemed to solve the battery issue), and had kind of forgotten about it, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, and knew of a way to fix the unit, update its firmware, or am I going to have to spend a load of money on a new unit? Sorry for the rambling first post, but I'm keen to fix it myself if I can?

Many thanks in advance,

Stewart.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi.. I'm currently experiencing EXACTLY the same problem in my 2009 Mk7 Zetec. Audio cutting out, faulty bluetooth and a dead battery. I've been going round in circles trying to discover what was drawing power from the battery. I've had a new battery fitted and a complete audio system replacement. We managed to narrow it down to something that was functioning off fuse 21 in the glovebox fuse unit. According to the manual, this is the audio system, bluetooth

Did you manage to get your system rectified by replacing the bluetooth module? I've seen plenty of them on eBay going for about £75.

Hi fizzyfizz. I am experiencing this too! See 

Did you replace the audio system? Did it help? Are you also experiencing a buzzing sound from the temp sensor? (Behind the climate control).

Sadly this is a very old thread and Stouff doesn't seem to be a regular visitor... 

Hi Ecke, yes I replaced the audio system (head unit, fascia and display) but still encountered the same problem. So I sent all that back and replaced the original units.

The cause of the problem for me (I'm 99% certain) was the bluetooth module. I've disconnected it and not had any battery drains since. I have another module arriving later this week which'll hopefully get me up and running again with hands free etc.

Only thing I'm still a bit concerned about is the AUX isn't working. I use this a lot and have it connected to an old iPod. I'm half hoping the replacement bluetooth module will "click" everything back into place but I'm certain the two aren't connected. I really don't wanna pay Ford £90 just for them to look at it. Don't suppose you have any ideas??

56 minutes ago, fizzyfizz said:

Hi Ecke, yes I replaced the audio system (head unit, fascia and display) but still encountered the same problem. So I sent all that back and replaced the original units.

The cause of the problem for me (I'm 99% certain) was the Bluetooth module. I've disconnected it and not had any battery drains since. I have another module arriving later this week which'll hopefully get me up and running again with hands free etc.

Only thing I'm still a bit concerned about is the AUX isn't working. I use this a lot and have it connected to an old iPod. I'm half hoping the replacement Bluetooth module will "click" everything back into place but I'm certain the two aren't connected. I really don't wanna pay Ford £90 just for them to look at it. Don't suppose you have any ideas??

Ok! No, not really. I was quite sure it was the bluetooth module until I dismounted the dashboard and heard noises from both the audio unit (sounded like the CD reader), the temp sensor fan and clicking noises from the bluetooth module. I tried disconnecting the bluetooth module, but the noises from the other units continued. I fear that this might be a shorting somewhere, or is it some data box that controls all those units that is faulty?

The only good thing I've come up to this far is that I have serially connected the fuse with a switch, connected to the fuse holder with blade terminals. At least my battery wont be discharged this way. 

I'll promise to write back if I find a solution, please tell me if it works by replacing the bluetooth module!

Yep I definitely will do.

By the way, I wasn't experiencing any of those strange noises you were getting from behind the dashboard. Not yet anyway! (***** cars!)

Ok thanks. Do you have the part number for the bluetooth module? I see you got a 2009 just like me. I think in 2010 or maybe later they changed one of the connections to a USB mini.

Yeh the bluetooth module that was faulty was part no. 8M5T-19C112-AL (made by Nokia) whilst the replacement I having coming later this week is 8M5T-19C112-AM (made by Novero) 

I'm led to believe the 'AM' at the end of the part number signifies a revision number. Interesting that it's made by a different manufacturer. 

I just hope it all works ok. The drained battery issue was doing my head in so much I was almost at the point of dumping the car and getting a replacement! 

I think that Novero bought the Nokia factory that manufactured these units in Germany in 2008, so it's probably the same thing.

Yeah, it's probably a revision number, I hope it fits and am looking forward to hear about the result.

I will try to dismount my unit later today to check the revision number, is it possible to do that from inside the glove box, or do I have to dismount the cover underneath?

The module is underneath the glove box. This video might help.. 

I've just been reading a forum post from 2011 which states that the AUX will not work if the bluetooth module is missing. I really REALLY hope everything works when it arrives!! 

Ok, the module has arrived and SUCCESS! The bluetooth and AUX are now working!! The sense of relief is off the scale! I've only tested it quicky but fingers crossed this rectifies the whole situation. If I end up with further problems I'll report back and let you know.

To clarify my initial problem, in case anyone else experiences a similar issue in future - I was happily driving along one day when all of a sudden the audio from my iPod cut out (the iPod was connected to the AUX port via a 3.5mm jack). The audio returned when I switched the main unit off and back on again but would then cut out again after a few minutes. Meanwhile, the radio and CD worked fine. A few days later I noticed the bluetooth icon on the display had disappeared. I re-paired my phone and all seemed fine but then the icon would disappear once again shortly afterwards. All this was followed by a battery drain that caused no end of problems and visits to the garage. I was getting a 2.0amp draw from somewhere when the car was switched off but nobody could figure out where it was coming from. 

I ended up getting the audio head unit, fascia and display replaced as I believed the problem with the audio was connected to that. And also perhaps the battery drain. Not so. New audio head unit fitted. battery was still dead after a few days. I even had a new battery fitted but that died too after a while.

Turned out all along, everything was connected to a faulty bluetooth module that was housed underneath the glove box. Thanks to some posts on this fabulous forum I was able to disconnect it from the car easily enough and purchased a replacement from eBay for £90. Everything now appears to be working ok (including the AUX port) with no drains on the battery.

Fingers crossed I don't experience any further issues as this has been a nightmare to solve! Thanks to everyone that assisted. PHEW!!! :) 

• Like 2

This is great news, fizzyfizz! Thank you so much for sharing this information. The story about the aux starting to fail some time and the bluetooth icon disappering fits my story perfect too. 

I've ordered myself a 8M5T-19C112-AM now, found a used one online for £80 (just like for you it was a 8M5T-19C112-AL Nokia in my car). I hope this unit "AM" doesn't have the same factory fault as the "AL" and that this will solve my problem too, I think it will :smile:

If you do end up experiencing any further troubles, let me know. Likewise I'll do the same. 

Good luck Ecke! 

The "8M5T-19C112-AM" bluetooth unit I bought is mounted and the functions (aux and phone) are back! I measured the current on fuse 21 = which now is 0A, instead of 0.5A as before. 

Thank you very much fizzyfizz for sharing your progress, which led me to be confident in buying a new bluetooth unit! 

I agree with your quote: "The sense of relief is off the scale!" :biggrin:

That's excellent news Ecke! Glad to hear you got everything sorted :) 

• Like 1

Hey Ecke, I appear to have acquired some new functionality with the replacement bluetooth device. I now have bluetooth audio which I definitely did NOT have previously (eg, I'm able to wirelessly stream music from my mobile phone to the system audio) I'm not complaining though. It's good! :) Do you have this too? Did it work on your old unit?

On 2017-02-08 at 8:44 PM, fizzyfizz said:

Hey Ecke, I appear to have acquired some new functionality with the replacement Bluetooth device. I now have Bluetooth audio which I definitely did NOT have previously (eg, I'm able to wirelessly stream music from my mobile phone to the system audio) I'm not complaining though. It's good! :) Do you have this too? Did it work on your old unit?

Hi fizzyfizz! Yes, I was gladly surprised I got it too with the "new" AM-revision bluetooth unit! Works very good. One annoying problem though, I can only get access to it by voice commands (External device -> bluetooth -> Play). Can you access it from the unit? In that case, how? :)

• 4 years later...

Hi guys!! A bit later on but I’ve experienced the exact issues as you both. Wondering how easy it is to fit the new module? Do I just plug the new one in? I’ve managed to remove the old one. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Ellamk7 said:

Hi guys!! A bit later on but I’ve experienced the exact issues as you both. Wondering how easy it is to fit the new module? Do I just plug the new one in? I’ve managed to remove the old one. Thanks!

Neither member has been back to the forum for over 3 years now, you're unlikely to get a reply lol.

To answer your question, if you've managed to get the old module out that's the hard part done, installation is just the reverse of removal but you know where everything came from. Should just be plug and play if you have an identical module.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club