Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Windscreen Replacement

TomsFocus

Evening all,

Ok so as I'm a collosal bellend (that'll be removed lol...) I now have a screen brken beyond repair needing replacement. It's done under 60k and only had a tiny chip on the NS until I got near it...

Both my Mum and I have had issues with replacement screens though and if I'm honest I really don't want the hassle.

Firstly is a cracked right in the bottom passenger side corner actually illegal or an MOT fail? I don't think it is but others seem to think otherwise, I'm happy to be proved wrong if so.

Secondly has anyone had a high spec screen fitted to a Focus by Autoglass? Was it a genuine screen? Was the heater element as good as standard? Was anything broken? Did it leak?

Being Titanium mine has auto wipers and lights, screen heater, IR reflection and probably more stuff lol. And Id MUCH prefer a genuine replacement if that's possible.

Cheers

Tom

Had my windscreen replaced in the summer due to a long crack at the bottom.

Great job by Autoglass. the windscreen is made by pilkington which i believe are the OEM for Ford, either way it is the same, if not better quality than OE.

Mine is just the heated windscreen which they fitted, but they do stock all types, so you will just need to make sure you let them know the extras you have.

no leaks or anything, i watched the installation start to finish, great guy too that explained the process. They also offer a lifetime warranty so any issues and they will come back and replace it no questions asked.

• Like 3

as for mot, is the crack in the swept area of screen, ie do wipers go over it, secondly how big a crack is it in circumference, thirdly does it obsqure the drivers view?

From the driver’s seat, check the view of the road through the swept area of the windscreen. Only fail the
vehicle if there is damage or an obstruction -
 in zone A, greater than a 10mm diameter circle and which materially affects the driver’s view
of the road.
 in the remainder of the swept area, greater than a 40mm diameter circle and which materially
affects the driver’s view of the road.
Note: Where any damage or obstruction does not impair the driver’s view of the road, the vehicle should
pass. If it only affects the driver’s view of the sky or the bonnet then this is not to be considered a reason
for rejection. This is a general assessment of driver’s view – you are not required to speculate on the
effects on tall or short drivers. Any manufacturer’s original design characteristics are to be accepted.

The crack was caused by the pin on the wiper blade arm, totally my fault (well I could blame the rain making the arm slippery I guess lol). So it is under the passenger side wiper, and now has spread about 3 inches diagonally up towards passenger side A pillar above the wiper.

IMAG5149_zpsvs82sg03.jpg

IMAG5165_zpshm0jviwr.jpg

It doesn't obscure my vision tbh, so would pass reading that?

James, glad to hear yours was fitted ok and decent quality, that's given me a bit more faith in them lol.

Edit - Also, looks like I found a gap in the swear filter, oops. :s

I would leave it as is and only change it when it needs doing, unlikely to fail an MOT and you could end up with a stone chip the following day and still need a new screen.

If it is dangerous or an MOT fail then I would change the screen but if not leave it as it is.

its in the swept area and over 40mm , but as my last post points out, unless its inerferring with the view, then its a pass and advise in my opinion.

i wouldnt fail it.

write down my post and take it with you , dont tell them before mot as they may get funny about it and try to look harder to fail something else. lol

Had my titanium focus screen replaced by autoglass, it's Pilkinton and works a treat. You won't get a 'Ford' stamped screen but I can't fault mine.

I would leave it as is and only change it when it needs doing, unlikely to fail an MOT and you could end up with a stone chip the following day and still need a new screen.

If it is dangerous or an MOT fail then I would change the screen but if not leave it as it is.

Exactly my thoughts but getting conflicting replies on different forums whether it's illegal/dangerous or not which isn't helpful lol. I personally don't think it is and Ian seems to agree... but a couple of people (ones a tester) on the other forum I use say the opposite! May be down to discretion I guess.

I may be wrong but if vosa or the police see it you could possibly get done for driving a defective vehicle. But I'm not totally sure tbh personally I'd change it now as it would seriously annoy me lol

The windscreen's integrity has been seriously degraded & has degraded the upper strength of the car by up to 30% - on the basis of safety alone I would replace asap

• Like 2

All im pointing out is that it should pass an mot, but as others say strength may be compromised, as for vosa or police, if its passed mot, then its met their standard .

All im pointing out is that it should pass an mot, but as others say strength may be compromised, as for vosa or police, if its passed mot, then its met their standard .

Oh yes if it passes the mot with it as currently is then yes legally it's road worthy at the time of the test.

But although it's passed the mot it doesn't make the car safe for a year. It's down to the driver to ensure its safe. It will most definitely get worse and spread over time but it could last as is for years yet

have you not got windscreen replacement on your insurance I always insist on it for mine

• Like 1

Autoglass replace it with Pilkington glass which is who make fords screens so it is a genuine ford screen they did a really good job on mine once the winter comes that screen will just go water gets in the crack freezes and forces the cracks to get worse if you use the heated screen its even worse

have you not got windscreen replacement on your insurance I always insist on it for mine

Yeah I have, in fact I paid more for fully comp to get windscreen cover...I'd never make a damage claim on my own car so could've gone for TPFT otherwise. But it's £75 excess which I haven't really got at this time of year - spent a fair bit this month so that I would hopefully not get any unexpected car bills over the next couple of months...so that's gone well... :mellow:

Also they use Autoglass which is why I'm asking about their product and service.

If their Pilkington glass is the same as standard though, then I guess that'll have to do!

Does anyone know if there's anything extra on the screen that I haven't mentioned in the first post? It took 3 screens to get the right one on a previous car. :angry:

I had mine replaced by national windscreen and tbh they knew everything from the reg. They just confirmed everything.

• Like 1

they should ask you what colour glass it is, if you have auto windscreen wipers/ headlights and as its a ford the heated windscreen

Well as I say it's heated, auto wipers/lights and IR reflective (not sure what that does, it doesn't keep the car any cooler when the suns out). I had to have a specific climate control screen in a previous car but only have manual air con in the Focus so not sure if that affects it. Also don't know what colour it is lol, they're usually green aren't they?

Yes green tinted with the heated elements and rain/light sensors they can't mess it up really but I'm guessing they have in the past for you. Just re iterate the above and re check when he comes to fit it.

Yeah I had auto wipers and air con on a previous car. First screen was just clear poverty spec. Second screen was tinted for AC but no auto-wiper sensor mount. 3rd time they got it right, but used such a poor quality screen the auto wiper sensor didn't fit and subsequently got broken, the mirror mount wasn't attached properly and fell off the first time I tried to adjust it and the dash rattled. Fortunately I was selling the car and said I'd sort the screen as part of the deal, but I really don't want a repeat of that!!

The focus screens are top quality and I've heard many times before from various sources it's exactly the same as oe just can't have the ford logo on it. How true that is I don't know but mines perfect and the chap even gave the dash a polish while the screen was out right into the awkward corners lol

Mine was replaced before I bought the car. Not ford branded but Pilkington, haven't had an issue with leakage or anything like that.

Just have a small increase in glare at night but I think that's because of the heater elements, never had them on my old car!

Mine was replaced before I bought the car. Not ford branded but Pilkington, haven't had an issue with leakage or anything like that.

Just have a small increase in glare at night but I think that's because of the heater elements, never had them on my old car!

yes that will just be from the heated elements

Read through a little of this thread, completely agree with whoever it was that said about the safety, a crack like that massively weakens the strength of the glass.

I've also had an autoglass replacement and I'm another positive vote for them. The guy that did my windscreen was quick, professional and explained everything to me.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, I've booked replacement for tomorrow morning... Gonna miss the crack after all this time haha. :lol:

They haven't asked what 'extras' I have on the screen so that'll probably be wrong. Also, will I have to remove the dashcam wiring or will they just treat that as the rest of the screen wiring?

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club