Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Do Lights Stay On After Ignition Is Off?

mills705

so driving with dipped beams on, you park up and turn the ignition off. However the dipped beams remain on to some degree. Why? If you open the door the car chimes at you. Why don't they turn off inline with the ignition?

Turn the lights off with the lighting switch

• Like 1

I get that- my query is why do they remain on though once the ignition is off? Why do you then have to turn the switch?

Every car I have ever driven behaves like this.

If you leave the lights in the on position, they stay on and the car chimes when you open the door.

If you break down you might want the lights on, if you are trying to jump start the car in the dark you will need the lights on...

• Like 2

Me too - in 36 years of Ford ownership - it's normal for at least the sidelights to stay on

Edited by MONDEO TXS 2.2
  • Like 2

It will be you side lights that are on, they work independent of the ignition and the car is letting you know they are on. Your dipped beam will have gone off with the ignition.

• Like 1

It will be you side lights that are on, they work independent of the ignition and the car is letting you know they are on. Your dipped beam will have gone off with the ignition.

Mine never have, if I leave the lights on dipped beam, then they stay on...

Not just a Ford thing, all other cars I have driven behave the same way.

Is it the " Arriving Home Function " where the lights stay on for a short time while you go indoors ?. They should go off after a set time though.

• Like 1

my punto used to cut lights out when he ignition was off!

Im still getting used to it. No biggie just wondered!

Much prefer the fiesta- dont know why i didnt get one when i got my punto tbh! I had a look at them but didnt like the 2008 shape

Mine never have, if I leave the lights on dipped beam, then they stay on...

Not just a Ford thing, all other cars I have driven behave the same way.

That'll be the side lights, the ignition will cut the supply to the dipped beam. You have 3 light cicuits side/drl, dipped and main

• Like 1

Parking lights. They show the position and corners of your vehicle. Stops London cabbies driving on sidelights (parking lights) running into you.

• Like 1

Pretty much all cars do it. Except for my mums Alfa for some reason.

On our Peugeot you can get out and lock the car with the headlights still on! :lol:

Pretty much all cars do it. Except for my mums Alfa for some reason.

On our Peugeot you can get out and lock the car with the headlights still on! :lol:

hmmm alfa.... fiat.... must be an italian thing!

TBH if you have something on you would think that they would work in line with the ignition this day and age!

• Like 1

hmmm alfa.... fiat.... must be an italian thing!

TBH if you have something on you would think that they would work in line with the ignition this day and age!

Your right all the electrical circuits should switch off with the ignition, central locking, alarm, clock etc, no need for other switches just one on/off switch for everything.

• Like 2

Maybe, if they switched off with the ign, next morning when you get in/start up/drive off the lights would be on and you might not realise ?

I don't think the light switch is software polled like e.g, the fan speed.

I noticed something weird with mine the other day. I've got auto lights which I use all the time. The other day I parked up and wanted to leave my lights on so flicked the switch to on, turned off the ignition and jumped out. The car chimed to remind me that the lights were on and the Side / rear lights were on as expected outside but went out as soon as I looked the car. I was expecting them to stay on so why didn't they?

• 5 years later...

my 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.6 I Trend I changed the fuze 22 15A because the tail lights were not working but after changing the fuse I then realise that the left tail light and park keeps on even after switching off the lights and locked the car. Please help Please

On 11/22/2015 at 8:33 PM, Willy said:

I noticed something weird with mine the other day. I've got auto lights which I use all the time. The other day I parked up and wanted to leave my lights on so flicked the switch to on, turned off the ignition and jumped out. The car chimed to remind me that the lights were on and the Side / rear lights were on as expected outside but went out as soon as I looked the car. I was expecting them to stay on so why didn't they?

After you stop and switch off, if you turn your indicator with left or right, it should illuminate the front and rear sidelights on the side selected by the indicator. 

1 hour ago, Khumo said:

my 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.6 I Trend I changed the fuze 22 15A because the tail lights were not working but after changing the fuse I then realise that the left tail light and park keeps on even after switching off the lights and locked the car. Please help Please

Is your left indicator on when you stop ?

Most modern cars lights up side and tail light of one side if you leave the indicator down. Switch to side lights and both sides will stay on. This is mentioned in the highway code when parked on a unlit street. Some cars leave the headlights on for a minute or 2 after you lock the car. It's  "Coming home/Leaving Home" feature, which helps to illuminate the way to and from your front door. They should turn off afterwards.

• 6 months later...

Hi I have Ford mandeo 2018 wen I locked the car said lites come one in about 10 min and stay on all time way it’s the problem?

Not sure if you are saying the lights come on when they weren’t on before or they stay on when you had been driving with them on previously. 

There is a feature in the settings for ‘arrive home’ lights, so when you park at home the lights stay on to allow you to see in your driveway while you walk to your house. If you don’t want this on, you can turn it off in the vehicle settings. 

There also used to be a feature in some models where if you pulled the headlamp flash after switching the ignition off, you headlights would stay on for about 3 minutes. 

Not sure if any of the above situations apply to you. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club