Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Got New Tyres Fitted? Check The Pressure!

jmurray01

A few weeks ago we had winter tyres fitted to the Primera and in a (rare) moment of naivety I thought that the fitter would have made sure the pressures were at least approximately correct on all four.

WRONG.

Since they were fitted the car hasn't felt any more "grippy" and has actually been more prone to skidding on corners and locking up the wheels on heavy braking. I put this down to never having experienced winter tyres before and/or the Yokohamas not being very good, but today thought that before writing them off completely I would check that the pressures were correct.

Well, that was a shock.

All four tyres were sitting at 50 PSI. Yes, I'm not even exaggerating.

Needless to say I let all four down to 32 PSI and I'm 99.9% sure that next time the car is driven it will feel like it's glued to the road compared to the feeling that you are constantly driving on black ice.

So, just a tip - after you've had tyres re-beaded, check the pressures. Most garages DO adjust the pressures accordingly but evidently the one I used this time didn't and there are probably others out there that are alike.

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS no accident occurred as a result of the tyre pressures or I'm pretty sure the insurance wouldn't cover it once they determined it to be "driver error" in not maintaining the pressures correctly.

that's a lot of pressure best to check them yourself

I had a similar experience when I got my alloys refurbished and all the tires were about 15psi too high!

that's a lot of pressure best to check them yourself

Indeed, I will always be checking them immediately after in future further to this experience.

• Like 1

lesson for everone there never ever trust tyre pressure to other folks :blink:

• Like 1

Tyre fitters always overinflate tyres to ensure the beading seals properly, always a good idea to check the pressure the next day cold and deflate them to the proper pressure.

• Like 1

Tyre fitters always overinflate tyres to ensure the beading seals properly, always a good idea to check the pressure the next day cold and deflate them to the proper pressure.

Oh I know that, just thought he'd have the decency to take them down to at least 35 before putting the car back on the forecourt.

• Like 1

Always check them after a service too!

Not that I ever get anything done at a garage other than an oil change, but why would you do that? I didn't think the tyres were a service item other than checking the treads and rubber condition.

Winter tyres are great, ive got mine on my ford focus at 30 lb back and 28 lbs front. Mind you cant floor it or brake really heavy on ice. Driving on snow is better and the grip is far better. Ive lived in Norway for 6 years now and had to learn quickly to drive on snow and ice. Winter tyres here are compulsory in winter.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club