Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yet Another 06 1.8 Tdci Thread!

ShaunyW

Hello!

I've recently just picked up an 06 1.8 TDCI.

Since owning it, I've came across a couple of problems, all resolved other than the two I'm going to mention.

Firstly: I have the very common problem with power still reaching the inside of my car when the key is out and the cars locked. I've ordered a new ignition barrell to try and solve this issue (hoping it's just the contact in the barrell that's faulty).

Secondly: I've attached a picture (hopefully it shows), of the fuse box under the bonnet. Notice there's a yellow thing that looks like it's blown. What I'm wondering is a) What the hell is it/are they? I've never seen them before. If it's a fuse, what kind is it? b) Where do I get my hands on one?

152kgso.jpg

Other than the battery constantly being dead (which I'm hoping will be fixed with a new ignition barrell) the car runs perfectly BUT I don't want to run it until I find out what it is in the picture and get it replaced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Shaun.

looks like it shorted out judging by the burnt in pic

Thank you very much for the reply. Without meaning to sound like a bit of a plank, I was really hoping for a more intelligent answer.

I know it's broke, I can see that it's melted. I asked what it was and where to get it. Not if anyone knew what was wrong as I can see very clearly.

Need to fix the fault before chucking another fuse in, not sure other than ford about getting another fuse, have you got owners manual so you can see what the fuse is for?

Judging by the numbers 40 & 60 I would suggest they are high amperage fuses - no doubt a Focus owner will know more

Need to fix the fault before chucking another fuse in, not sure other than ford about getting another fuse, have you got owners manual so you can see what the fuse is for?

Yeah, most definitely. Although, the boy I bought it from mentioned something a out him trying to fit a different cigarette lighter and blowing something so it may be that.

I don't have the original but it is on my list to get, I just have a PDF that I downloaded that's apparently for my car but I don't think it is. It's of no help when it comes to the fuses.

Judging by the numbers 40 & 60 I would suggest they are high amperage fuses - no doubt a Focus owner will know more

Okay, thanks very much. I'll do another little Google and see what I can find. Easier having a name to search for.

Glow plug circuit fuse, 60amp.

I would check the wiring at the conector that goes to the glow plugs , known to melt and catch fire so could be high resistance causing fuse to melt and not blow, or relay staying on keeping glow plugs drawing current.

• Like 3

This is in my opinion definitely an early 'warning' regarding the glow plug wiring as already mentioned. Don't put another fuse in that circuit until it's all been tested and ok.

Those are MIDI type fuses.

• Like 2

They are either midi or mega fusible links depending on how large they are, midi are the smaller ones mega are the larger ones.

To do that much damage and melt the link something is not right, as said you need to find out what caused the bow and the heat to cause that much damage, there are very few places to buy them from other than on-line or a dealer or a scrap yard.

Glow plug circuit fuse, 60amp.

I would check the wiring at the conector that goes to the glow plugs , known to melt and catch fire so could be high resistance causing fuse to melt and not blow, or relay staying on keeping glow plugs drawing current.

Okay, thanks for the information.

This is in my opinion definitely an early 'warning' regarding the glow plug wiring as already mentioned. Don't put another fuse in that circuit until it's all been tested and ok.

Those are MIDI type fuses.

Okay, I'll get it checked before firing another one in.

They are either midi or mega fusible links depending on how large they are, midi are the smaller ones mega are the larger ones.

To do that much damage and melt the link something is not right, as said you need to find out what caused the bow and the heat to cause that much damage, there are very few places to buy them from other than on-line or a dealer or a scrap yard.

Thank you, I was going to order one, I may just wait and take it to the garage to get it checked out first.

MEGA fuse links tend to be quite large ratings, 100 amp plus..

if by your first question you mean that the ciggarette socket still has power when the car is off, then that is normal for the focus.

Theres been a few threads before about the cars setting fire due to the glow plug wiring overheating. this may have been an early signal. id get the wiring to the glow plugs checked ASAP before putting a new fuse in

also did you remove the fuse and nuts where its burned or was it already like that?

• 6 years later...

i just want know where the  pcm /relay 4 gloplugs  is situated on my 06 focus 1.8tdci   mk2  and it,s  the type with a bracket which is part of the moulding with [ 1 ] hole in it to bolt it on  AND   it,s  NOT in the fusebox next to the battery like lots of mechanics online keep saying  😫  so can you help please ; rob