Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Anyone Fitted Led Indicator Bulbs ?

jacked

Hi Guys,

Has anyone fitted LED Indicator bulbs to their Fiesta ?

I have a 2015 Fiesta and I`ve got some Cree LED 581 bulbs to try in the headlamps whilst I install a HID Kit to them. I removed one headlamp and fitted the LED bulb.

I put on the hazard warning lights and it works perfectly, all flashers have the correct flash rate and the LED is way better.

When I use the indicators the side with the LED has hyper-flash and flashes too quickly. I`ve read that you still may need to use load resistors for the indicators but didn`t understand why the hazards worked perfectly but the indicators don`t.

Has anyone done this with their Fiestas and got it working ? If I have to use a load resistor how is it wired-in as I think there isn`t any separate wires to the indicator bulb holder, just a main wiring plug into the headlamp. How would you find out which wires are for the indicators ?

Any help or advice on this would be great. I got the Cree LED`s as they`re supposed to be the best but I don`t really want to be butchering any wiring looms on such a new car.

Thanks very much.

Dave

I did install led indicator bulbs. Bought them from aliexpress. They were quite weak. Car gives a message to replace bulb and blinking faster than normal. Ended up using silver indicator bulbs.

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

Has anyone fitted LED Indicator bulbs to their Fiesta ?

I have a 2015 Fiesta and I`ve got some Cree LED 581 bulbs to try in the headlamps whilst I install a HID kit to them. I removed one headlamp and fitted the LED bulb.

I put on the hazard warning lights and it works perfectly, all flashers have the correct flash rate and the LED is way better.

When I use the indicators the side with the LED has hyper-flash and flashes too quickly. I`ve read that you still may need to use load resistors for the indicators but didn`t understand why the hazards worked perfectly but the indicators don`t.

Has anyone done this with their Fiestas and got it working ? If I have to use a load resistor how is it wired-in as I think there isn`t any separate wires to the indicator bulb holder, just a main wiring plug into the headlamp. How would you find out which wires are for the indicators ?

Any help or advice on this would be great. I got the Cree LED`s as they`re supposed to be the best but I don`t really want to be butchering any wiring looms on such a new car.

Thanks very much.

Dave

He indicators hyper flash due to the decreased load of the LED, hazards are either a different circuit or the load is ok as it has been doubled.

Adding resistors isn't easy on the fiesta as you've already mentioned, someone did mention a hyper flash relay which would stop this but I've not looked into them.

Most people fit normal chrome bulbs, they do the job just as well.

• Like 2

You'll have to place the resistors between the positive and negative wire to the bulb Dave.

You've already mentioned that you don't want to hack at the loom so I'd not bother. The other downside is that the resistors get very hot and usually melt something.

• Like 1

Other option are these

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=py21w+resistors&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwscGLz-jJAhXFtRoKHUVUDs0Q_AUICCgC

I had seen these type of resistors but I couldn`t get my head around how these are connected as the indicator bulb holder doesn`t have any wiring on it.

Or do you plug your LED into this py21w holder and that goes into the headlamp, then the other end of the resistor block with the bayonet end is just left not connected to anything ?

If that`s the case I don`t mind using something like this but one with decent cable on it so I can place it in a suitable area away from plastics.

Failing that it would have to be the Philips Silvervision instead, which would be a shame as this Cree LED really looks superb - on the hazards anyway !

Dave

That`s great.

What vehicle did you see them on and do you know if the resistors had to be used ?

There`s a review on that link with someone using them on a 2013 Focus without the need for any resistors.

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hi,

just bought a 2014 Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. Very happy with the car. I have a set of Cree indicator bulbs and intended to fit them to my new car. I am aware of hyper flashing with these bulbs

With the small metal orange resistors you can buy they will get VERY hot if the indicator is on too long (but not on 4 way hazards) and also with the inconvenience of having to use splicers in the wiring .

I just bought two decoders on eBay for £16 with free postage. They do work. There's the male connector which fits in to the original bulb holder and the bulb then fits in to the female bulb holder connected to the decoder. I switched on the indicator and let it run for quite a while and it didn't even get warm.

Now the bad news... The original  bulb holder has three locating pins, if you can imagine looking at a clock, the locating pins are located at 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock and 12 o'clock, as does the light cluster. The locating pins on the 'new' bulb holder which would lock in to the light cluster are positioned at 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock. The bulb holder will not locate in to the light cluster. Ian going to try and find an auto electric shop to see if they can change the bulb holders in the two decoder assemblies to suit the pin location on the light cluster. 

The cree bulbs are amazing though when working. Has anyone tried to change to free bulbs or the likes since the last posting on this topic? Or does anyone have info on where to get the correct  bulb holders?

Really enjoying the reading here...

Mark

On 19/12/2015 at 10:43 PM, Omer Kara said:

I did install led indicator bulbs. Bought them from aliexpress. They were quite weak. Car gives a message to replace bulb and blinking faster than normal. Ended up using silver indicator bulbs.

This is exactly what happened to me, and I went the same option. 

You need a resistor for LED Bulbs to work properly more so in the indicators.

Sent From My Huawei P9 Lite

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump the thread... but I was looking into fitting load resistors too and found the following wiring diagram for the 10-pin headlight cable (EDM = European). I'm assuming I wire it in series between the indicator positive and ground, but I dont know for sure... I'll check back with results.

(Image Source: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1416-Fiesta-ST-Head-Light-Wiring-Schematics)

headlight wiring diagram.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club