Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The continuing saga of an abused Focus

vc-10

Hi everyone,

I posted a while back about my Focus. It's a 57 plate 1.6 TDCI (of course- that engine!) and when I bought it the check engine light and ABS light were both covered up. I've been in contact with the garage I bought it from (in October last year) and they have been very unhelpful (surprise surprise).

I believe that the DPF was clogged before I bought the car- but of course they are saying that because the car was running, it wasn't. This isn't true- a partially clogged DPF won't throw the car into limp mode, but it will throw up a CEL. They are also claiming that the turbo was replaced just before I bought it. I have documentation that the turbo was replaced in April, and of course replacing a turbo twice in one year isn't exactly standard operating procedure. 

Is there a link between failed turbos, clogged DPFs, and potentially faulty EGR valves? When I took it into my local garage who said that the EGR valve and turbo *may* also be on the way out. I'm thinking that the whole lot is linked, and that they should never have sold me the car.

It also strikes me as a striking coincidence (not!) that the problems with the car all involve the two lights in the dash that have been covered up- an ABS sensor is dead, and so I have no ABS either.

I've hardly been using the car- just a short run each week to try and keep it running and the battery topped up. 

Anyone got any ideas? I've contacted my aunt who is a lawyer and Citizen's Advice, and the latter have apparently passed things on to Trading Standards (although I've not heard from them).

Thanks!

i think  Trading Standards should deal with this as its clear that you are being deceived keep at them that's what there are there to do good luck

Yep, easy link - the EGR sticks open putting more soot into the DPF and oil, the DPF clogs up putting backpressure on the turbo, while the oil is filling up with sooty carbon deposits reducing lubrication on the turbo bearings, turbo dies.  Someone replaces turbo without rectifying other faults, turbo dies again...

Sounds like a heap I'm afraid, dealers will do anything for a sale!

If your car developed a fault within 30 days of purchasing the car you could of insisted on your money back.Consumer Rights act 1st October 2015.Probably not helpful to you but for others buying second hand going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

you are entitled to you're money back you also should have by law been given a 3 month warranty if this was brought to there attention within that time again you have a case the problem is case or no case the garage will be unhelpfull clearly you're only option is trading standards or a small claims court I also from experience doubt that's you're only issues there will likely be other problems such as suspension etc to add to it .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club