Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop / Start Not working

Rob2016

tcm recall is an update to tcm to trigger dtc and mil light if in the unlikely event of a serious module failure , so any mileage/consumption issues should be a coincidence .

5 hours ago, Bobr said:

Drove up to Wakefield and back today a distance of 140 miles.   The new battery should be fully charged now but S/S is still not working.

It was a warm day. Did you have your aircon on? If so, what temp did you set it to?

53 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

If that is accurate, then it is a serious fault. Costing you £150 per year or perhaps more (on 5k miles / yr & £1.10 per litre).

How are you measuring it: brim to brim fills, using the pump litre count & the trip mile-meter, or using the possibly dodgy guesses of an in-car display?

If that mpg is accurate, (& ideally provable using fuel receipts) I would definitely take it back & complain. Worth the hassle for £150 per year.

(A brief drop in mpg after some service operation may be due to the pcm re-learning optimum settings, but that should be just a few journeys, a lot less than a tank full.)

Yeah I've been using brim to brim fills with an app to track cost, litres etc and that gives me around 37mpg so probably just a dodgy display readout. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vendee said:

It was a warm day. Did you have your aircon on? If so, what temp did you set it to?

Aircon wasn't used at all.   It was raining most of the way (20mph on the M1 type of rain) and not particularly warm.

This morning, stone cold engine and S/S is working.   Wonder how long for.

im not saying any of the below are the reason why your particular vehicles stop start is not working as intended, you do have an issue that needs investigating. 

but for reference to everyone with stop start, the following can stop stop/start

low coolant temp, low battery charge,heated front screen, heated rear screen, aircon (climate control versions),wipers on fast setting , drivers seatbelt not fastened, dpf regen on a diesel version and obviously door opened lol

and all these sensors/switches need to be functioning correctly for stop start

brake booster vacuum sensor, battery monitoring sensor,outside temp sensor,clutch pedal position sensor,neutral position sensor, voltage stabiliser, and others, given up listing now

think you all get the idea now, 

• Like 1

Cheers Ian.   It didn't last long as I've just driven to the shops and it's not working again.

• 3 weeks later...

Took my car in this morning and Fords want it for 5 days to try to sort out the S/S problem.   Believe it or not, it was working all the way to the garage.   It seems to work when it's cold and raining but not otherwise.   The guy on the desk said that they have nothing but trouble with S/S systems.

Had a call from Sandicliffe today.   The suspect the battery monitoring thingy.   Apparently if it's not working properly it can tell the S/S system that the battery is flat.   They are fitting a new one tomorrow. 

The car they've lent me is a 2012 1.25 litre that has a 2015 plate. ???

• Like 1

Why do you want the s/s to work? It doesn't make the car more economical, but it surely must wear our the starter motor and ring. I Found that the difference between using it or not was 1 mpg. I now switch it off every time I get into the car.

Mac

Personally I'd be happy to save 1 mpg if i could.

20 minutes ago, elanmac said:

but it surely must wear our the starter motor and ring. I Found that the difference between using it or not was 1 mpg.

8 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

Personally I'd be happy to save 1 mpg if i could.

Bosch recommend using a slightly beefed up starter and alternator for Stop-Start. Not surprising as they make the things, but very reasonable.

Did the bods at Ford listen to the wise words from Bosch: I am sure the design department did, but the accounts department ???wacko.png

Assuming the design department won, it makes sense to use the system while it works, but if it starts playing up just because the battery is approaching what would normally be 50% of its lifespan, then ignore it or turn it off. That 1mpg is no way worth chucking out a very expensive battery when 50% life remains.

And that argument applies to environmental cost, as much as to pounds & pence cost.

• Like 1

Well they've fitted the battery monitor and are confident that it has cured the problem.   They are road testing it this afternoon and I'm collecting it in the morning.

Collected my car this morning and, having had a new battery monitor fitted, the stop / start is now working perfectly.   As a matter of interest, I switched the air con on and the S/S didn't work.   Switched the air con off and the S/S was back.

• Like 1

Found another quirk with the S/S system this morning.   If you reverse and then stop it doesn't work.   Pull forward a few inches and it does work.

22 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Found another quirk with the S/S system this morning.   If you reverse and then stop it doesn't work.   Pull forward a few inches and it does work.

Likely deliberate - stop start is useful for sitting in traffic,  not parking 

4 hours ago, Bobr said:

Collected my car this morning and, having had a new battery monitor fitted, the stop / start is now working perfectly.   As a matter of interest, I switched the air con on and the S/S didn't work.   Switched the air con off and the S/S was back.

So you have to choose between A/C or S/S? If you only use A/C on long journeys, fair enough but if you need it when the weather is nice it's a shame you can't have both.

It can activate with AC on, but it is just less likely

It depends on the AC load as to whether or not it can stop the engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

It can activate with AC on, but it is just less likely

It depends on the AC load as to whether or not it can stop the engine.

There seems to be many factors as to when it operates, we might as well just say it has a mind of its own.

• Like 1

i find it anoying sometimes, esp in this warm humid weather that stop start decides to switch engine off while im trying to cool down with air con on sat in traffic. 

46 minutes ago, iantt said:

i find it anoying sometimes, esp in this warm humid weather that stop start decides to switch engine off while im trying to cool down with air con on sat in traffic. 

I've used the car a lot in town today and it's worked every time.   When it turns the engine off the fan is still working. My car has a switch on the dash that you can switch S/S off with.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, iantt said:

I find it alarming when it has switched itself off in traffic and then after a minute or so, it switches itself back on again to try and maintain your selected a/c temperature.

Strange that; mine will never turn off with the air con switched on.

So my car went back to the garage to have the stop / start looked at. They checked all the systems, sensors and updated the software. battery was also checked and all came back fine.

Still no stop / start. Car going back to the garage on Tuesday (No courtesy car available today) for more tests and an overnight charge even though the battery they say is fine.

Will update.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club