Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Top Up Steering Fluid?

as400

When car is stationary I hear a drone when turning the steering wheel. Had a look at what I'm guessing is the power steering bottle and couldn't see any fluid moving around.

But what a crazy location!...how do you access it to top it up?

power steering 1.jpg

power steering 2.jpg

Ah forget that, that pic is of the Brake/clutch fluid reservoir.

So where can you monitor the level on a 55 plate Focus?....the handbook says "no fluid level checks necessary" for 1.8/2.0 l Duratec-HE, 2.5 l Duratec-ST and Turbo diesel engines"

How does that work?

power steering 3.jpg

its hydroelectric pump, there is a bottle attached to the electric pump, remove the o/s headlamp and you will see it, if the fluid is low then the leak needs finding.

The picture you have posted is your brake/clutch fluid reservoir. The power steering pump reservoir is under the driver's side headlight. Remove the headlight and you will see it.

Not relevant to the PAS fluid I know but is that actually how your brake fluid reservoir is?  Mine has another little reservoir that bolts to those 2 holes on the plastic scuttle in front which are in your picture.  You'd need to the scuttle panels to top up the brake fluid which seems odd!

Nearly as odd as having to remove a headlight to top up PAS fluid I suppose.  Won't be long until you need to remove a wing to top up screenwash at this rate... :tongue: 

• Like 1

Designed by some who rides a pushiron and does not drive. No idea we have to access these things from time to time

• Like 1

Not relevant to the PAS fluid I know but is that actually how your brake fluid reservoir is?  Mine has another little reservoir that bolts to those 2 holes on the plastic scuttle in front which are in your picture.  You'd need to the scuttle panels to top up the brake fluid which seems odd!

Nearly as odd as having to remove a headlight to top up PAS fluid I suppose.  Won't be long until you need to remove a wing to top up screenwash at this rate... :tongue: 

had to remove wings on citroen 2cv to change spark plugs

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, iantt said:

2CV..........spark  plugs

it had more than 1 ?

:biggrin:

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Because you don't need to top up your brake fluid. If you do there's a leak somewhere and that's the least of your problem.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Or remove the wheel and wing liner to change the headlamp bulb on a Renault Megane!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I have a 13 plate ford focus and I have a sqweeking steering wheel like a rubber sqweek could this be the fluid but apparently there is no fluid for this one

1 hour ago, sarahjanedonnachie said:

I have a 13 plate ford focus and I have a sqweeking steering wheel like a rubber sqweek could this be the fluid but apparently there is no fluid for this one

Correct, no fluid on the Mk3, it's a full electric motor on the steering rack.  If the squeak is coming from the steering wheel area, it's not actually a fault but is very annoying, mine used to do it a lot and my Golf does it in the cold.  Not really anything you can do about it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club