Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lack of boost and engine management light (steady not flashing)

MarcHilton

Hello fellow Focus owners,

I'm new to this forum and am looking for a bit of help with my 09 reg. 1.6 TDCI 110hp estate (the Peugeot derived engine).

Lately every so often as I've been driving along the turbo boost just drops off with no warning or indication and if I turn off the ignition and restart her it's back to normal. However, tonight on my journey home the engine management light came on, steady, and I realised the boost had disappeared again. No messages showed up on the menu screen and the light is staying on and I still have no boost. It's not in "limp" mode and still revs freely but feels like driving a non-turbo old school DERV.

Is there a sensor or electronic module involved with boost control on these engines which may have been on its last legs and finally failed??? Just looking for anybody who has had a similar problem, or knows of a common fault it could be.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Marc

Hello Marc, I had this problem myself for a while . On my obd reader I had a code p0299 appear indicating supercharger / turbo boost low pressure. I looked into  this problem and found out it was the turbo pressure solenoid was faulty. I rang my local ford garage and asked for a price and they quoted me for a whole new turbo system, which you dont need. I got a new solenoid from eBay for around £40 i had it fitted during my cars service and it did the trick. No more limp mode and massively improved performance . Also may i suggest having the egr valve either cleaned or replaced as that can be part of the problem too. Hope this helps you , regards Chris.

Chris that's brilliant.

I'll give that a go and see what happens. Weird thing is the engine management light has now extinguished and the boost is back to it's old intermittent self. I did run a full bottle of Redex through it on a full tank so I'm wondering whether the injectors/fuel system may be a bit dirty and causing a fuel limitation? I'm planning on blanking the EGR valve off when I next give it a service. Would you recommend for/against this?

Marc

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club