Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RJ45 Splitter (Ethernet) 1 into 2 advice.

jace1969

Ok i already have a cheap 1 into 2 splitter  for my Ethernet cable but i think i might have a problem as i only found out that it will only run 1 output at one time.

Is there ones out there which are not powered and not a mad price to run 2 outputs as i run p.c and I.P cctv Camera so if its a 50/50 output its great as im on 200Mbps anyway.

My speed is very up and down and all is working fine just this might be the problem as the i.p camera is on 24/7.

• Like 1

You can't really split a cable, you need an Ethernet switch.

You can split a gigabit cable down to 2 fast Ethernet cables with the right splitters at each end, but it will be susceptible to cross talk and a switch is much better and future expandable.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, alexp999 said:

You can't really split a cable, you need an Ethernet switch.

You can split a gigabit cable down to 2 fast Ethernet cables with the right splitters at each end, but it will be susceptible to cross talk and a switch is much better and future expandable.

Cheers for that and i can see your point,see the i.p camera needs to be connected all the while as WiFi is shocking in the 1 room which is a pity.

I have tried the router extender and still no good,i only have 1 cable coming from downstairs to the upstairs.

Thanks.

• Like 1

How about using plug in network points?
I use them for my interior and exterior cctv set-up and they work a treat.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

Why can you not use a powered hub? 

Ethernet splitters are horrendous. In my (professional) opinion there is never a right situation to use them. If there is only a single cable run and you cannot run another, then put a hub at the end where you need more ports (or indeed, a hub at both ends).

• Like 2

On 06/02/2017 at 10:38 AM, Arwen said:

Why can you not use a powered hub? 

Ethernet splitters are horrendous. In my (professional) opinion there is never a right situation to use them. If there is only a single cable run and you cannot run another, then put a hub at the end where you need more ports (or indeed, a hub at both ends).

I did try a power one i think it was where you plug it by the router to pick up the signal and then into a plug in the room but it was very poor signal i had.

This was a Netgear one and also i kept getting signal drop,one minute there next minute gone which was a pain,if i could run off WiFi it would be amazing off the one

cable i have hear,so is there a hub that gives out WiFi signal then just connect it to my only wire and power it up then get the WiFi passcode etc to link to the my devices.

• Like 1

Is this the one like these just plug my Ethernet cable in one slot from router and then the others free for the other devices.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-Link-5-Port-10-100-Fast-Ethernet-LAN-Switch-Network-Hub-Wired-RJ45-Splitter-/172250226611?hash=item281ae9dfb3:g:FuQAAOSw3YNXalrz

Yeah just connect your router to one of the ports then your devices to any of the others.

It is an unmanaged switch so which ports you use doesn't matter.

• Like 2

On 07/02/2017 at 3:46 PM, alexp999 said:

Yeah just connect your router to one of the ports then your devices to any of the others.

It is an unmanaged switch so which ports you use doesn't matter.

Glad you replied as solved a lot of problems lol and so if you have 2 ports being used will it just half the Mbps you receive from router,say you get

100Mbps will it go a 50/50 or close to and if one not it use go all onto the one port,bit thick on the technical side.

Also it says 100Mbps but im on upto 200 so i would need the 10/100/1000 one if i order one.

Yeah if you want the full speed of your internet connection you'll want a gigabit (1000) switch.

Everything connected to it will run at full gigabit speeds the only bottleneck is if more than one device are simultaneously trying to use max bandwidth with a single device, but on a gigabit network that will never happen unless you have SSDs in everything and are doing massive data transfers.

Basically get a gigabit switch and you won't notice any bottlenecks. :)

• Like 1

@jace 1969

I researched the internet a few months back and found this "NETGEAR GS305" to be the best option for a Gigabit network switch

iI bought it for the living room as I've run a CAT7 cable to each of the bedrooms upstairs from the router in the living room downstairs for IP Television.

Here is a link to the cheapest supplier I found at the time selling them brand new Link: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/2457575/Netgear-GS305-100UKS-5-port-Gigabit-unmanaged-switch 

20160906_112236_zpssj7xwaad_edit_1473157

As saw in my "living room project" thread here 👇

4 hours ago, Lenny said:

@jace 1969

I researched the internet a few months back and found this "NETGEAR GS305" to be the best option for a Gigabit network switch

iI bought it for the living room as I've run a CAT7 cable to each of the bedrooms upstairs from the router in the living room downstairs for IP Television.

Here is a link to the cheapest supplier I found at the time selling them brand new Link: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/2457575/Netgear-GS305-100UKS-5-port-Gigabit-unmanaged-switch 

As saw in my "living room project" thread here 👇

Cheers for that,i will get one of those as its realy driving me mad upstairs in this one room,so just plug and play then.

My lead in from router and other 2 in and job done,found this one and good feedback so think i will go for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262628699291?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

Cheers for that,i will get one of those as its really driving me mad upstairs in this one room,so just plug and play then.

My lead in from router and other 2 in and job done,found this one and good feedback so think i will go for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262628699291?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yep its plug & play, that's slightly cheaper than I was able to find when purchasing aswell 👍

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a few days. 

Most Netgear stuff is good, and causes no problems so should suit you fine. 

• Like 1

A big thanks to all on this as been looking at ways for ages and at last i will sort it out.

• Like 1

All in and sorted and working perfect,now i can use i.p camera/laptop and smart t.v.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

All in and sorted and working perfect,now i can use i.p camera/laptop and smart t.v.

Your SoMonetSuperMarket Jace,

Do you feel EPIC!! 😉

• Like 1

I'm glad you post the issue regarding an RJ45 splitter aswell because although I've purchased a Netgear GS305 for the living room to feed three CAT7 cables up the each bedroom,

I was then planning to use an RJ45 splitter on the CAT7 in our bedroom to feed the network in to a smart TV and an amazon Fire TV box.

_1-1_zpsiugeucra.jpg

However having read this thread although i knew i required a Ethernet switch for downstairs; I have now realised that I will also need to purchase another Netgear GS305 for our bedroom to feed the network to each device as my initial plans for upstairs connections wouldn't have worked by just using a splitter.

20160906_112250_zpswaot65f1_edit_1473157

I have put the switch in the middle of the bedroom and on the wall low down,run 2 cables to the TiVo and i.p camera and 1 to my laptop.

realy having onto TiVo don't solve a lot as you only get the remote option as you can't watch recorded item on other devices u.k law,you can only watch on the device you recorded on so Myshows on the recorded stuff won't work on iPad.

Also ultra HD 4k on my t.v through netflix and it all works so fast as it shares the connection speed so no buffer at all,just trying to dee

amazon has a good deal at the moment on them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS305-100UKS-Gigabit-Ethernet-Wallmount/dp/B00TV4A96Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486803627&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+gs305

Im so MoneySupermarket 🍺 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Excellent find there mate thanks gor sharing the link 👍

Thanks to this thread I've gotten the network plan sorted out here aswell.
20170218_162327_zps0wnwok1b.jpg

Purchased an 8 port NetGear GS308 Gigabit Ethernet switch for the living room to take a single feed from the main router and feed it to everything in the cabinet, 
And the 5 port NetGear GS305 Gigabit Ethernet switch will connect to the CAT7 feed in the bedroom which runs directly from the main router and feed everything in the room aswell.
20170218_193220_zpszq7doolv_edit_1487448
Also thought id mention that ive Picked up a great deal on some CAT7 one metre long hold plated network cables to go with the Ethernet switch👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club