Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo Issue

mrmohawk86

Hi all

Long time lurker, recently signed up as i have an issue with the speedo on my 54 plate MK2 focus.

When driving along, sometimes the speedo will seem like it is ticking down. If I come to a complete stop, then set off again it seems to work fine for a short while. Then slowly ticks down again. and if i reduce my speed then increase, it doesn't go back up unless i come to a complete stop.

I have done the dash test gauge sweep, and it seems to work fine through that. Also, went through the menu to find the road speed (mph), and that seems to work fine. Am I right in thinking that this would be a fault with the instrument cluster??

Really not looking forward to having to Shell out much more money on this, as I have recently had to have the clutch, water pump, thermostat, power steering and head gasket replaced. The garage that sold me, seem to want to hold no responsibility for any of the faults with that car either. So Small Claims court process has been started.

could be the speed sensor which I believe screws on to the gearbox and sends the signal to the speedo

The Focus MK2/MK2.5 does not have a conventional speed sensor. On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the vehicle speed is calculated/measured by the ABS or IVD pump and digitally (CANbus) communicated to the instrument cluster.

I personally expect the instrument cluster or the ABS or IVD pump to be the cause of the problem.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The Focus MK2/MK2.5 does not have a conventional speed sensor. On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the vehicle speed is calculated/measured by the ABS or IVD pump and digitally (CANbus) communicated to the instrument cluster.

I personally expect the instrument cluster or the ABS or IVD pump to be the cause of the problem.

Thanks for that. I had the car on OBD2 a few weeks ago as the CEL came on. And one of the faults was an ABS sensor, though it was on the rear left wheel. would that still affect it? Or would it need to be a front wheel sensor?

The ABS or IVD pump uses all wheel sensors to calculate the actual speed of the vehicle. Any of the ABS sensors can basically cause the system to stop working correctly.

Thanks for that JW1982.

Looks like i shall be getting the car back into the garage this week for the 6th time since end of Jan.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club