Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Unspent Criminal Convictions (Rehabiliation of Offenders Act 1974) Query?

GMX

I have decided to volunteer at the rescue centre Pipper came from, in a variety of capapcities

One of the questions on the volunteer application forms, states  "Rehabiliation of Offenders Act 1974 - You must declare any unspent criminal convictions (excluding driving offences) registered against you"

I'm not entire sure what an unspent conviction as opposed to a conviction:unsure:

Way back, when I  was 13-14, I had a phase of doing graffitti murals on public buildings - which of course is not legal: and I knew it.  During the execution of  a complicated mural which so far had taken me a couple of days, this was the 3rd day I was working on it.  Unbeknown to me, the police had been called and duly turned up as I was spraying.  I was duly invited by the coppers to accompany them back to the police station to discuss what I had been doing: or if I refused they would arrest me for criminal damage, I think was, or it might have been defacing public property..

I duly accepted their invitation.  I don't know if it was because I readily admitted I knew it it was illegal, or because I'd been very compliant with them: it was not referred to the CPS to be dealt with by the courts.  Instead, I was told I was charged but had to report back to the following Sunday with my Dad present, for a formal caution by a sergeant.

If they had referred it to the CPS for prosecution at the courts, that would be a conviction.  But as they didn't: is that an unspent conviction as a conviction didn't follow through the whole process?

you would not have any as you were given a formal caution and didn't offend again.In spent convictions I think it in the last seven years

you have to declare so answer is no convictions :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks Dez:smile:

I clearly misunderstood "unspent"

I also didn't realise criminal convictions expired like motoring ones do, albeit with a longer time period

yes I am sure its 7 years from the conviction :smile:

You were never convicted so nothing to declare.

An unspent conviction means that you have to declare the offence until the required period is past. If the sentence received is over 4 years in prison you must always declare it

http://www.criminalrecordsservices.com/dbs-check/what-is-the-difference-between-spent-and-unspent-convictions/

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club