Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen wiper bouncing on windscreen

GavUK

Hello fellow Ford Fiesta owners, I've had my car for maybe 5 months or so now and never had an issue with the wipers. I bought new Bosch ones maybe 2-3 weeks ago and they have been brilliant, better than the OEM ones that were on my car when i bought it. However recently my driver side wiper seems to bounce across my windscreen in the rain, it doesn't even bounce when the window is bone dry which puzzles me. I do have a layer of Angelwax H2GO on it but ive had that on it for a while and its never been a problem. Has anyone else come across this issue?

I've seen suggestions of bending the arm of the wiper but ive never touched them so i cant see how they are even bent at all, i only lift them up for cleaning the car and even then i do it gently. Surely the new wiper cant need replacing already? The rubber still feels soft.

I would point the finger at the hydrophobic layer i have on it but i had it on the windscreen when i bought the new wiper and they worked perfectly fine for weeks.

Sorry for the long post of just plain old wipers but it really bugs me when it makes such a noise and bounces on the windscreen when it rains and i live in wales so it rains a lot i just want to get this sorted, i might just buy new wipers AGAIN to see if that fixes the issue?

It's the rain repellent and wiper combination unfortunately 

Some of the compounds used on different wipers simply don't like the surface created by the rain repellent 

I'm using Gtechniq's rain repellent at the minute and I've not had a problem using Bosch Aerowipe blades. But using carbon collectives one I had issues. 

I can't remember the last time I used my wipers though 

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

can't remember the last time I used my wipers though 

is gtechniq's rain repellent that good then 

12 minutes ago, AlexBartlam said:

is gtechniq's rain repellent that good then 

It's the best I've tried so far. By far the most durable and best wearing too :) 

Kleen freaks glass cleaner and rain repellent Is a close second simply for ease of use 

• Like 1

nice my windows are right pain at the moment, do you have a link or the exact name of it, iv had a look but due to works server being american i cant find a definite answer 

• Like 1

if the wipers are only a few weeks old then they are unlikely to be the cause 

completely strip the rain repellent off the windscreen and see if the juddering stops

theres also the possibility that the coating is beginning to wear off anyway which may cause problems when the Wiper Blades move over a dry , uncoated patch of glass

i also use gtechnique G5 without any problems.

• Like 1

I had no end of problems with G5. Tried 3 different wipers, and I even wiped them with the formula (at the manufacturer's recommendation) and the juddering eventually became unbearable.  Gtechniq's support is pretty good - contact them and they should send you the bottle of formula and some pads to apply it with, so you can treat the blades.  Unfortunately, if this doesn't cure the problem, you will need to strip the coating with some cerium oxide compound and a very rigorous polishing.  Once removed, you can try applying Gtechniq's other glass compound which is a bit softer and works more like Rainx.  Lasts a little longer though.

So I am not looking like a serial moaner - the paintwork coating (crystal serum) is excellent, especially with the EXO coating.  I have to park my car under a sycamore tree and even though it had black paint, it took ages to get properly dirty.  And what's even better - no more pigeon mess burning holes in my lacquer layer!!  Missing it on my new car and will probably get it when I have the cash.

21 hours ago, GaryPL said:

I had no end of problems with G5. Tried 3 different wipers, and I even wiped them with the formula (at the manufacturer's recommendation) and the juddering eventually became unbearable.  Gtechniq's support is pretty good - contact them and they should send you the bottle of formula and some pads to apply it with, so you can treat the blades.  Unfortunately, if this doesn't cure the problem, you will need to strip the coating with some cerium oxide compound and a very rigorous polishing.  Once removed, you can try applying Gtechniq's other glass compound which is a bit softer and works more like Rainx.  Lasts a little longer though.

So I am not looking like a serial moaner - the paintwork coating (crystal serum) is excellent, especially with the EXO coating.  I have to park my car under a sycamore tree and even though it had black paint, it took ages to get properly dirty.  And what's even better - no more pigeon mess burning holes in my lacquer layer!!  Missing it on my new car and will probably get it when I have the cash.

youre getting mixed up between G1 and G5.

G1 is the semi permanent compound  ( 6 - 12 months lifespan ), G5 is the short term compound ( 2-3 months lifespan )

i agree though that G1 is much fussier in its preparation and application than G5

ironically G5 is actually  more water repellant than G1 even though it doesnt last as long , gtechniqs website even confirms this , so i wouldnt bother with G1 personally , too much hassle in removing it if theres problems

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming which way round the products are.  It was the semi-permanent coating that I had applied.  In any case, I hope my experience proves useful to someone.

I never ordered the G1 - the detailer applied it as a freebie when I got the paintwork done.  It did repel the water pretty well - almost as well as Rainx, so I was happy with this element of the product.  But 140 miles of motorway driving, having to apply Rainx just so the judder would stop and I could see every 50 miles was tiresome!

Even though my car is protected with Crystal serum light and ExoV2 (rather annoying that V3 has been launched.. Although I don't find it as nice to work with) 

I still use Infinity wax' express spray sealant on ever wash simply so I don't have to mess around coating my headlights, wheels and glass again. 

Laziness at its best bit after I've done the customers cars I really don't fancy doing my own

But it sure works as a rain repellent, it's cheap per use, and it doesn't judder 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I got in touch with Angelwax and they suggested using their vision glass cleaner along with a clay bar and said that should shift it, they also sent me a sample of their wax stripper to. So ive just been and done what they said and its still not coming of the glass. I've ran out of ideas, nothing i try gets this coating off my window.

1 hour ago, GavUK said:

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I got in touch with Angelwax and they suggested using their vision glass cleaner along with a clay bar and said that should shift it, they also sent me a sample of their wax stripper to. So ive just been and done what they said and its still not coming of the glass. I've ran out of ideas, nothing i try gets this coating off my window.

Have you tried Serum Oxide?

over the years I have sometimes had problems with wipers juddering across the screen in one direction but not the other. Sometimes this has been cured by taking the wiper off and turning it the other way round (end to end). This can usually be done by unclipping the fixing (mind you I don't know if that is the same on the more modern flat type wipers).

I know there is not much logic on why that works, but it often did work for me

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club