Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk 3.5 Roof Rails?

Oxter

I'm looking at buying a 2014 or newer focus but the deciding factor might be the roof rack options.  I notice the plastic trim on the focus roof, what are those trim pieces for?  It looks like they can be removed to have some kind of permanently installed / factory installed roof rack rails.  I do a lot of outdoor sports, canoeing, mountain biking, skiing and I've always got a rack on my car.  I don't like those after market racks where the feet sit on the roof with the hooks that go behind the door seal to keep it on.  My experience is that it always damages the paint.

Does anybody know if it is possible to get factory installed rails on the regular hatchback version.  I've seen them on the estate version but not on the hatchback.

Oxter

I don't use the roof as much as you but a couple of times a year use them to carry a ladder.  I bought the Ford ones, and got them from Vospers on eBay.  I'm more than happy.  They fit well, the plastic trims take the majority of the feet, and they take minutes to install.

17 hours ago, Oxter said:

I'm looking at buying a 2014 or newer focus but the deciding factor might be the roof rack options.  I notice the plastic trim on the focus roof, what are those trim pieces for?  It looks like they can be removed to have some kind of permanently installed / factory installed roof rack rails.  I do a lot of outdoor sports, canoeing, mountain biking, skiing and I've always got a rack on my car.  I don't like those after market racks where the feet sit on the roof with the hooks that go behind the door seal to keep it on.  My experience is that it always damages the paint.

Does anybody know if it is possible to get factory installed rails on the regular hatchback version.  I've seen them on the estate version but not on the hatchback.

Oxter

It's not an option on the hatchback.

The plastic trims that runs down each side of the roof are gutter covers and these are not load bearing. The weight of load is transferred via the rubber feet straight into the roof.

The official Ford roof bars for the hatch are designed to rest on roof and secure via hooks that fit in a hole in the door aperture.  

I carry bikes but use a different car. I'm not crazy about this Ford design as it likely mars the paint and there are reports of dents appearing.

1 hour ago, biff55 said:

why not just buy the estate then ?

confused.com

I would but I'm a brit living in the USA. They don't ***** sell the estate version here.  It's really difficult finding a good small car in a manual gearbox with roof rails and a hatch/ estate. 

I've got a subaru outback 2.5xt "wagon" right now but it's just broken 110,000 miles and I want to get rid of it before I have to replace the turbo again. The focus would be ideal except for the roof rail situation. Also looking at mazda 3 and golf options. Neither have a factory rail option.

2 hours ago, avi said:

It's not an option on the hatchback.

The plastic trims that runs down each side of the roof are gutter covers and these are not load bearing. The weight of load is transferred via the rubber feet straight into the roof.

The official Ford roof bars for the hatch are designed to rest on roof and secure via hooks that fit in a hole in the door aperture. 

Thanks for the info.  This is what I suspected.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club