Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with full lock noise

Munti

Hello, I'm new here to please bare with me. I have a 1.6 focus zetec 2005 plate. I have been noticing when the car is stationary under full lock car makes this grinding noise kind of metal klanging. Happens both sides. I have checked the fluid level on cold engine seems to be fine. Happens on end of both locks, it doesn't make noise any other time just under the lock positions. Any ideas

This is completely normal for a conventional hydraulic power steering system. This system has an engine driven power steering pump that continuously circulates the power steering fluid through the system. At full lock position at either side a spring loaded pressure release valve inside the steering rack opens to avoid excessive pressure inside the high pressure part of the power steering system. when the spring loaded pressure release valve opens the power steering fluid is forced through the valve which can cause noises.

Opening of the spring loaded pressure release valves inside the steering rack at full lock takes a much higher pressure from the power steering pump than during normal driving conditions. The extra stress on the power steering pump can also cause the pump to make a bit more noise. 

Holding the steering wheel at full lock for more than a few seconds should be avoided. It puts more stress on the power steering system and also generates heat inside the system.

• Like 1

Ahh right did not know this, I have owned vauxhalls vw fiats non of them did this, this is alien to me. This this happen on all fords? 

Mine does it, I just stop when I know I'm about to hit full lock, usually only when I'm about to reverse into my drive.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club