Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Fiesta Security

kpdsk13

I have a ST Line 140 on order and due to recent experiences (my Dad's vehicle getting nicked in the middle of the night) I want to make sure my vehicle is totally secure. Also the fact that Fiesta's, are targetted by thieves and I work in one of (if not the) worst areas in London for car theft. 

What have people done on this forum to make their vehicle more secure? Other than a Disklok?

Nice motor, the ST Line isn’t really a massive target in the grand sceme of things but if you live in a high crime area then I guess any nice car is a target, and the ST Line 140 is a very nice motor. The ST is far more desirable and it’s the RS Focus that probably tops the wish list. 

I know it’s keyless start but is it also keyless entry on the fez (it’s not on my focus)? If it is then a Faraday pouch or Faraday key box is a must. Then either lock the OBD port, move it or disable it too. There are the good old fashioned pedal locks, the ones that hook under the brake and then onto the steering wheel and as you say the very obvious visual deterrent of a Disclock. 

Then, if the worst does happen a tracker might be a good idea too? 

@Jonro2009 Thanks for the suggestions. OBD port? I assume thats to do with the motherboard or something? Will look into that.

To be honest, I think its more opportunists who would try to steal a car like mine rather than targeted by those who are determined to get the more "premium" cars i.e. STs, RSs, M-Lites and the rest. 

There is no keyless entry on my model but I am aware this is an option. It is just a keyless start which makes me think then is a keyless start still vulnerable to keyless theft?

Its more of a deterrant cause nothing can stop a determined thief!

The OBD port is basically the doorway to the cars brains. You can access the ECU via this port and with the right very cheap and easily available kit and program a blank key. Just smash the the drivers window and reach in, connect to the OBD port and they can be away in under a couple of minutes with a working key. 

When my ST Line X arrives this will be my first car with keyless start (hasn't got keyless entry). Almost every car nicked near me is a Ford.

I always use a decent steering wheel lock but is it still an option on these cars to remove the obd fuse? 

I know it's not a great solution but that along with the lock will be OK for me. Is there any downside to removing the fuse or do I just pop it back when it's being serviced etc? 

are ford moving away from keyless entry? I thought all keyless starts had keyless entry. does this mean you have to take the key out your pocket to unlock the car?

1 hour ago, Matt12341234 said:

When my ST Line X arrives this will be my first car with keyless start (hasn't got keyless entry). Almost every car nicked near me is a Ford.

I always use a decent steering wheel lock but is it still an option on these cars to remove the obd fuse? 

I know it's not a great solution but that along with the lock will be OK for me. Is there any downside to removing the fuse or do I just pop it back when it's being serviced etc? 

Unless you fancy using obd data yourself, no. It's definitely worth taking the 2 mins to pull the fuse. 

36 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

are ford moving away from keyless entry? I thought all keyless starts had keyless entry. does this mean you have to take the key out your pocket to unlock the car?

No they are 2 independant systems.

leave it in your pocket, just reach in and press the button on the fob.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:33 PM, Matt12341234 said:

You can certainly pull the fuse but pretty sure some of the devices that the thieves use will self power the port anyway. Moving and/or locking it away are much better alternatives.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OP,

Did you ever get the dummy port? Any thoughts? 

4 hours ago, Harryx070695 said:

OP,

Did you ever get the dummy port? Any thoughts? 

@Harryx070695

My car arrives next week. I have already purchased a Disklok. Once I confirm with the dealership where the OBD port is, Ill make a decision.

There is another discussion on this forum about this. May be of interest:

I secured my OBD port with a steel safe from Protectavan. They'll never break into it and lets admit will you ever need access to it.

I found that the Stoplock Pro to be easier to use than the disklok.

2 hours ago, karl46 said:

I secured my OBD port with a steel safe from Protectavan. They'll never break into it and lets admit will you ever need access to it.

I found that the Stoplock Pro to be easier to use than the disklok.

@karl46 How much did you pay for the steel safe? May look into this.

Steel safe, £125, £165 fitted,  Workshop near brentwood..

Glad I didn't go for the full key free option now. For the sake of pressing a button to unlock the car, it looks like I have saved us quite a bit of concern whether the cars would be nicked or shelling out a lot of cash on security measures.

Agree with an earlier post, it seems to be more the St that is targeted opposed to the st line. But if they can get any car easily, they will.

3 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Glad I didn't go for the full key free option now. For the sake of pressing a button to unlock the car, it looks like I have saved us quite a bit of concern whether the cars would be nicked or shelling out a lot of cash on security measures.

Agree with an earlier post, it seems to be more the St that is targeted opposed to the st line. But if they can get any car easily, they will.

" they use transmitting devices known as 'relay boxes' to extend the signal from the car's keyless fob, which is usually inside the owner's home – and use this signal to unlock and start the car. "

Just keep your keys in a metal box or one of the RF pouches you can get, no different to "fishing" the key through the letterbox or breaking in and taking it.

“If criminals reach the OBD port (the diagnostic port within the vehicle used by dealer technicians to access the vehicle’s electrical system), any attempt to plug into the car’s diagnostics automatically initiates a 10-minute software lockdown, while the alarm continues to be emitted.

“Further attempts to access the system during lockdown restarts the 10-minute wait period, eliminating the possibility of rapid illegitimate programming of keys for the car via the OBD. Owners of older Fords have the option of fitting the OBD port with a guard to prevent programming of keys.”

• Like 2

Thank you for the info.

I do agree that the car I bought isnt as 'desirable' as the ST but the frequency of car thefts in the areas in which I live and work, it isnt worth the risk. One of my good friends car was stolen two nights ago causing all sorts of panic with insurance, finance etc. It was found (luckily for her) yesterday evening. And her car is rather unremarkable 2015 VW Polo! It goes to show that (at least in my case) making your vehicle less of a target for opportunistic sis worth the extra pennys.

@Tiexen where did you get the info from?

7 minutes ago, kpdsk13 said:

I do agree that the car I bought isnt as 'desirable' as the ST but the frequency of car thefts in the areas in which I live and work, it isnt worth the risk. One of my good friends car was stolen two nights ago causing all sorts of panic with insurance, finance etc. It was found (luckily for her) yesterday evening. And her car is rather unremarkable 2015 VW Polo! It goes to show that (at least in my case) making your vehicle less of a target for opportunistic sis worth the extra pennys.

The fact you friends car was actually found indicates it was little gangsta wannabes that took it because ‘they could’. I would say that this kind of crime actually makes your car more desirable than an ST or RS because it’s for joy riders not for selling or stripping for parts etc. You would do right getting a disc lock or pedal lock etc

2 hours ago, kpdsk13 said:

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/ford-fiestas-risk-keyless-theft-gangs/

Sunday Times

They keyless entry on a Fiesta or any Ford, is no more vulnerable than any other keyless car.

If you don't like it, have it turned off.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club