Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel pump problem Mk1 Focus

andyfmills

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice on a problem my mother-in-law is having with her 2002 Focus. She has an intermittent fault where the car will turn over and not start. I've managed to identify that this is down to the fuel pump not supplying fuel. When you turn the ignition on, the pump isn't priming. Occasionally this has been down to a blown fuse - the recovery people have replaced the fuse and its started first time. Other times the fuse hasn't blown. but still won't prime. It can be OK for a few months before it happens again.

I've used ForSCAN and it has returned the code "P0231 Low Voltage Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit"

On a couple of occasions I've manage to get it to start using jump leads from my car - I don't understand why this would make any difference as its turning over on the starter motor fine on its own. The battery is relatively new, maybe a couple of years old.

Everything seems to be pointing towards needing a replacement fuel pump, but what I can't understand is once we've managed to get it started the car runs fine - no hesitation or struggling for power. I just want to be absolutely sure it does require a new fuel pump, because obviously its not worth a lot so might be more economical in the long run to swap the car. It is relatively low mileage for its age, its only done about 85k. She generally only does short trips to the shops and back.

Is there anything else I can try?

@andyfmills It may not be considered worth much in value but it's worth more in reliability n self repair wise, with it only having 85k on it it's definitely worth the repair and with it being an 02 you should be able to access the pump from under the back seat as the MK1 has to have the tank dropped so yours is way easier to diy, but it's possible its just got faulty/tempremental with age due to short journey trips and at the milage I'd guess it's not used very often ?

Edited by doggsbody

Cheers for the replies. I think you've confirmed what I suspected but was in denial about!

@doggsbody Im a bit confused by your reply. This is a mk1 focus we're talking about. Unless Ive misunderstood all I can access from under the seat is the plug on top of the sender.

The cars used daily but probably only does a couple of miles each trip. It was very low mileage for its age when I bought it.

A complication is shes claiming the pump was changed last time this happened when she was recovered to a local garage back in November, but she can't find a receipt for it.

@andyfmills the mk1 has no access hatch ( indicators on the front are in the bumper ) MK1.5 I've never actually seen under the back seats of 1 but was under the impression that they redesigned it so the access to the pump was easier ?  ( Indicators were redone into the headlights and the fog lamps changed shape the only tell tale between them unless you know the production date too )

i was unaware of improved access from seat other than the small access hole to check the plug .

@doggsbody all thats under the back seat is a small hole with a rubber grommet in which the cable for the pump passes through just as @iantt describes.

Seems like a popular option is to cut yourself an access hole with some tinsnips.

@andyfmills AHH right l thought you were meant to be able to remove the pump via it !!! If you do go through the floor get a tin plate to cover it back up with other wise you'll smell fuel when it gets low, we have the same problem were the floor was used to change the pump...

I've seen someone cut it open with tin snips then to cover hole just placed a tea tray over it and put seat back down. Lol 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club