Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2005 Remote Keyfob Fault

ian andrews

Hi.

Just joined the club & this is my 1st post :)

I've got a 2005 (new shape) Focus Zetec with a fault.

The keyfob stopped operating the central locking but works ok using the key (locks & unlocks all doors & boot from drivers door).

I replaced keyfob battery & checked all fuses, all ok but still not working. Also no DTC's stored. I decided to disconnect the battery to see if it would reset & on re-connecting battery, all buttons work fine on the keyfob until the ignition is turned on then it ceases to work again. If the battery is disconnected & re-connected, same again - all working fine until ignition turned on.

Anyone got any ideas what may be causing this..?

Thanks, Ian.

This may be the GEM. If so it is a Ford dealer job only.

• Like 1

Hi.

Thanks for the reply Nigel.

Is it a case of replacement or can they be reprogrammed..?

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum

Just pop into a ford dealers and have them check your remote key, to see if is working, you can get a repair kit for the key off e-bay for less than £20. to fix the buttons, if it is working reprograme it to the car, turn on off about six times untill it sounds two times, then press any button on the remote..

Alan

have a look at this link of e-bay http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2568898a0b

Hi Alan.

Thanks for the info, very interesting & handy to know that replacement fobs are available :)

I wouldn't have thought it is the fob as it works everytime until the ignition is switched on & I don't think the ignition will affect the fob - although I'm not 100% certain & stand to be corrected.

I rang BBA Reman today to see if they had any info about the GEM, they don't do replacements at present & didn't have any info.

Found some more info here & going to have a look round the fusebox area & check all the connections as soon as I get the chance:

http://passionford.com/forum/ford-focus-rs/322061-gem-wont-go-into-learning-mode.html

Not holding out much hope though as disconnecting & re-connecting the battery & turning ignition on doesn't really point to a bad connection but prob worth a look.

Hi Ian Just looked at your post again, did you do a full set, disconnect the battery, turn ignition on, then reconnect the battery, also have your radio code to hand.

Ian if nothing works, I think a trip to ford is needed, and get them to plug to there computer, and see if they can find out what is wrong..

Hi Alan.

Thanks for your replies.

I've got radio code so no worries there :)

Do I need to turn ignition on while the battery is disconnected..?

I wouldn't have thought it's recommended to re-connect battry with ignition on in case of a voltage surge or spike..??

I may have to take it to the dealer if I can't resolve it.

if you disconnect the battery, all your doing is taking the remaining charge of electric that is in the cables and moving it to completely drain everything, then when the car looks dead, leave for 15 minutes dead, and then reconnect the battery up, its a cold hearted kick up the a*se for your car, but can do wonders :)

as the IT crowd say, turn it off, turn it on again! - just dont do what jeb did, in jebs jobs... :rolleyes:

turn ignition on just before you connect the battery, have done this on mine with no problems.

or you could try this frist.

post-2425-0-27682400-1319567289_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

my key fob has stopped working and I've changed the battery and tried to reprogram it but still doesn't work, also I can't get into the trunk as the switch has broke, I've got a new switch and want to know if there's a way I can open it from the inside

4 hours ago, Brian47 said:

my key fob has stopped working and I've changed the battery and tried to reprogram it but still doesn't work,

Assuming the car went into program mode ok, then I would get a replacement fob and try that. If you can get one the same as your existing key, then you should be able to swap the new fob onto blade and PATS capsule from your existing key.

An alternative is to borrow another key from a Focus of the same basic type (eg Mk2?), and try to program that to the car. It will not alter the key in any way, the signals are all one way.

If you have a decent OBD DTC reader (like FORscan), I would check for codes. I think if there are any problems with the remote control receiver in the car, it should give an error code. A duff key fob, however will give no error codes, as it cannot be detected.

The car goes into programming mode when it gives the tone after switching the ignition off after the on-off sequence.

I am not sure how easy it is to get at the switch with the tailgate locked. You need to remove the internal trim, and that may be hard without opening the boot.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club