Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6Tdci Air In Fuel Line

FamilyGuy

Having an ongoing problem with air getting into the fuel in my Focus 1.6Tdci. First thing that happened was the car just cut out and diagnostics suggested a fuel rail pressure sensor so that was replaced. Then, following a full service, the car would just cut out every 500 miles or so. Our local garage has changed the sender unit in the tank, pressurised the fuel lines and changed all the seals but the problem still exists. When the car is running it is perfect but I need to get this sorted. It appears that the air builds up in the filter unit until it goes unto the pump then cuts out.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? Can anybody help.........please

Has anybody checked the fuel filter or its housing?

+1.

Also is the filter seal new and/or fitted correctly?

Sent from my S5

Thanks for the reply - had 2 new fuel filters fitted - both the full Ford units with no joy.

But did they also change the seal?

Ford kits don't always come with one

Sent from my S5

Its a sealed unit with 2 pipe connections and a electronic plug. been replaced twice in case that was faulty

the only way to get air into the fuel system is with a leak in the fuel system, so this is most often as described - the fuel filter / bad seal. Alternatively it could be the fuel pump is drawing air into the system.

Are you able to provide a definitive list of all that they have done to look at this issue?

• 2 years later...

Hi, did you manage to sort this out, I am having a similar problem with my 2008 Focus Estate 1.6tdci.

Garage have changed fuel filter and a few pipes but air still getting in and stalling car. When cold, the car will run for 30 minutes then cut out !

Thanks,

Andy

And the record for the largest bump of the year goes to--

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

And the record for the largest bump of the year goes to--

Sent from my SM-G930F

Sorry, didn't notice the original post date, but searching google for similar problems to mine as mechanic is pulling his hair out as am I !!

• Like 1

Was the filter seal changed as well?
It is always recommended to do the filter and seal at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• 5 years later...

Hi had anyone found a solution to this issue I have this at the moment and my mechanic has no clue where to start. The only thing I can add is that it seems to happen soon after I refuel.

43 minutes ago, Patrick Pearson said:

my mechanic has no clue where to start.

Firstly you need a mechanic that knows and understands diesel engines. Have a look online in your area for a 'diesel fitter'

When was the fuel filter last changed ?  If it is more than 3 years old then replace it as a matter of course.

2 hours ago, unofix said:

When was the fuel filter last changed ?  If it is more than 3 years old then replace it as a matter of course

It started a few months ago the rac guy said to change the fuel filter that was done but since then it's continued to cut out on me. 

• 3 months later...

Hi my mechanic has sorted it. It was the mass air flow sensor.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club