Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worried About Dfp And Eolys Fluid

hawker

Its crazy how a part that didnt exist until around about 2003/4 can suddenly become the minimum requirement for a diesel. Its a shame that it costs so much, however if I can get it down for 650 to replace the DPFI certainly would. and I agree with Catch, diesels nowadays can run into 6 figures before the engine starts to suffer, its just a shame that by the time you hit your 6th year or 75k service, it costs a quarter of the cars value to replace the single part...

I will be honest if it wasnt for the DPF, and if I had known about it before, I would have strongly reconsidered buying my focus, purely because of the mileage, thats not to say I wouldnt have bought a focus with lower mileage...

Swings and roundabouts I guess, I have seen images of the DPF, and it looks like its part of the exhuast pipe, is this the case?

Also I have been looking into the whole ODBII usage of cars, and have seen you can reset warning lights etc. If you could get a DPF fitted for say 450, could you then reset the DPF warning etc using over the net purchased software and a ODBII cable? in my mind, if it costs £250 to buy decent software and a cable to hook my car up so I can do this, I would rather do that, its a one off bill, that can come in handy time after time after time...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catch

• hawker

• artscot79

• bottletree

I have seen images of the DPF, and it looks like its part of the exhuast pipe, is this the case?

Yes it is

Also I have been looking into the whole ODBII usage of cars, and have seen you can reset warning lights etc. If you could get a DPF fitted for say 450, could you then reset the DPF warning etc using over the net purchased software and a ODBII cable? in my mind, if it costs £250 to buy decent software and a cable to hook my car up so I can do this, I would rather do that, its a one off bill, that can come in handy time after time after time...

I doubt it, but don't quote me.

I certainly would have avoided buying this particular focus had I'd been aware of the DPF/Eolys issue beforehand.

There is another version of the 1.6TDCi that does not have this (the 90PS version) I would have searched for one of these instead had I known.

I spotted this short video about how the DPF and the Eoyls fluid works in your car. There is no sound to the video, but it explains everything clearly i think.

I spotted this short video about how the DPF and the Eoyls fluid works in your car. There is no sound to the video, but it explains everything clearly i think.

Yes that's a very good video on how it works, nice find.

I've booked my cambelt to be changed for a week wed. approx £230 (this will be fitted with the kit too) at an independent garage. Thought its best to do this now its coming up to 100K miles, although I've had conflicting views on when the correct interval for this is, with some saying 100K, others 125K. Do it anyway to be on the safe side.

I'm going to rule out a DPF change until I get a warning light. My independent garage can supply and fit for approx £350 so pretty cheap compared to Fords £1500, but I'll chance leaving this for the time being.

I'm now contemplating whether or not to have a Eolys top-up and computer reset at Fords for £100, as at least this should prolong the life of the DPF as I understand it.

Just ordered some genuine mud flaps front+back off eBay for £40, so looking forward to cleaning out the sills etc. and fitting them, as I think they look quite nice and finish the sill-line off quite nicely, and should prevent or at least minimize sill rust building up. :)

I've booked my cambelt to be changed for a week wed. approx £230 (this will be fitted with the kit too) at an independent garage. Thought its best to do this now its coming up to 100K miles, although I've had conflicting views on when the correct interval for this is, with some saying 100K, others 125K. Do it anyway to be on the safe side.

Like you say, it gives you peace of mind. With me being a bit long in the tooth :rolleyes: I've seen manufactures extend cam belt replacement intervals. But when you think of the damage a failing cam belt can cost ........

I'm going to rule out a DPF change until I get a warning light. My independent garage can supply and fit for approx £350 so pretty cheap compared to Fords £1500, but I'll chance leaving this for the time being.
You've nothing to loss mate doing that.
I'm now contemplating whether or not to have a Eolys top-up and computer reset at Fords for £100, as at least this should prolong the life of the DPF as I understand it.

As the current state of the Eloys is an unknown quantity, I'd have it done. Like you say the Eloys aids the burn off process, so should extend the life of the existing DPF. Besides when you replace the DPF it will not need a Dealer ECU reset. So all you need do is have the Eloys top up done again when you have 135K or there about on the clock.

Just ordered some genuine mud flaps front+back off ebay for £40, so looking forward to cleaning out the sills etc. and fitting them, as I think they look quite nice and finish the sill-line off quite nicely, and should prevent or at least minimize sill rust building up. :)

I'm just in the process of finding out how much the under sill plastic protectors are, as my 05a build Focus did not have them. Ford obviously added them on the 06 builds onwards after realising there was a problem in that area. You having an 06 model should have them on as standered. [i bet they are a stupid price, for a bit of plastic]

Thanks for all your help in this post catch. You have been extremely helpful mate, and I'm very grateful to you. ;)

I'm just in the process of finding out how much the under sill plastic protectors are, as my 05a build Focus did not have them. Ford obviously added them on the 06 builds onwards after realising there was a problem in that area. You having an 06 model should have them on as standered. [i bet they are a stupid price, for a bit of plastic]

Yes catch, mine has the plastic sills, but I like the look of the mud flaps, and the front ones will stop a hell of a lot of crap going down in between the arch plastics and sill, so are extremely practical too. B)

Thanks for all your help in this post catch. You have been extremely helpful mate, and I'm very grateful to you. ;)

Think now't of it mate, thank you for listening, the wife's eyes just glaze over when I talk about motor stuff :rolleyes:

Yes catch, mine has the plastic sills, but I like the look of the mud flaps, and the front ones will stop a hell of a lot of crap going down in between the arch plastics and sill, so are extremely practical too. B)

Yes if anybody is serious about reducing the potential for their Focus to rot away, mud flaps are a must if you ask me. Just found out the parts needed to retro fit the under sill protectors as they are fitted as standard. Would be £91.88 [parts only] but as it involves drilling the sills, I think I'll give them a miss. Possibly go for a couple of coats of StoneChip, two coats undercoat, and two coats top coat. [i already have new tin of cellulose undercoat and enough top coat in stock]

Think now't of it mate, thank you for listening, the wife's eyes just glaze over when I talk about motor stuff :rolleyes:

I know how you feel butty! My missus is exactly the same.

Yes if anybody is serious about reducing the potential for their Focus to rot away, mud flaps are a must if you ask me. Just found out the parts needed to retro fit the under sill protectors as they are fitted as standard. Would be £91.88 [parts only] but as it involves drilling the sills, I think I'll give them a miss. Possibly go for a couple of coats of StoneChip, two coats undercoat, and two coats top coat. [i already have new tin of cellulose undercoat and enough top coat in stock]

Expensive indeed!

Perhaps try a scrap yard? Never know your luck.

Coating it in some way seems like the best other option.

Good luck catch ;)

Car currently in the Ford garage to have the Eolys fluid topped up and computer reset, at a price of £100. (although extortionate, this is an extremely good price considering the fluid alone costs in excess of £30 a litre, and especially considering its a main Ford dealer doing the job!)

One less thing to worry about anyway. :)

Now for the cambelt next Wed!

Just an aside, How big is the Focus fuel tank? I think the standard is 55 litres, but isnt the Diesel version slightly less to accommodate the Eolys fluid tank? If so, what is the capacity in litres of Eolys?

Top job Hawker. You did all the donkey work that i was going to do. You put my mind at rest considering i was looking at a huge bill in years to come. So thats £350 for the new DPF at an independent and £100 for the fluid and reset at the ford dealers. :lol: :lol:

In 4 or 5 years time when mine is ready hopefully it will be even cheaper.

The diesel tank is 53 litres. The Eolys fluid will almost certainly be in a separate chamber, else every car with a DPF would need a modified fuel tank? I should stop guessing on that part, but the diesel tank is defintely 53l.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Car currently in the Ford garage to have the Eolys fluid topped up and computer reset, at a price of £100. (although extortionate, this is an extremely good price considering the fluid alone costs in excess of £30 a litre, and especially considering its a main Ford dealer doing the job!)

One less thing to worry about anyway. :)

Now for the cambelt next Wed!

Just an aside, How big is the Focus fuel tank? I think the standard is 55 litres, but isnt the Diesel version slightly less to accommodate the Eolys fluid tank? If so, what is the capacity in litres of Eolys?

What ford garage is this? I've been quoted £258.50 for the top up and reset. I think that £100 is a great price. Does anywhere know where i could get Enough fluid for one car? According to ford they have to order enough that covers 3 cars so I have to pay for the rest of that fluid. Any help would be much appriciated!

What ford garage is this? I've been quoted £258.50 for the top up and reset. I think that £100 is a great price. Does anywhere know where i could get Enough fluid for one car? According to ford they have to order enough that covers 3 cars so I have to pay for the rest of that fluid. Any help would be much appriciated!

I had this done in Fordthorne, Cardiff.

Not much use for you being in Scotland!

At £258.50 they are taking the pee, any Ford Dealer will have the Eloys additive in stock, as it's a third year and every third year after that service requirement according to Fords service schedule. You can buy the Eloys additive yourself, but it's a dealer reset requirement that has to be done. Basically they the dealer top up the additive reservoir tank, then they do a counter reset. In other words they tell the ECU that the reservoir has been refilled. The ECU needs to know this so it can dose the fuel tank with the additive as and when required.

Try ringing round Ford dealers, or even Volvo ones. I know you can get it done ballpark £130 from Volvo dealers and Volvo service departments are known for being dear. ON THIS THREADyou will see what I mean [second post in] But if your only option is the robbing gets you quoted, ask them how much for the fill and reset if you supply the additive? ON THIS THREAD scroll to the bottom, you will find an email link to Simon [Rufe forum handle] who will supply the additive if you want.

I had this done in Fordthorne, Cardiff.

Not much use for you being in Scotland!

Anno mate, sounds like it would have been handy, i phoned around the dealerships - Arnold Clark were wanting £258.50 - I phoned a smaller (ALSO closer!) And they are doing it for £100 + £40 for ECU reset and any extra fluid that might be needed. I'm not fussed about that £40 though considering i was looking to pay a fortune before!

At £258.50 they are taking the pee, any Ford Dealer will have the Eloys additive in stock, as it's a third year and every third year after that service requirement according to Fords service schedule. You can buy the Eloys additive yourself, but it's a dealer reset requirement that has to be done. Basically they the dealer top up the additive reservoir tank, then they do a counter reset. In other words they tell the ECU that the reservoir has been refilled. The ECU needs to know this so it can dose the fuel tank with the additive as and when required.

I think it was because it was an arnold clark garage that it was costing me so much, I phoned a small dealership and they're sorting it on monday so I'll let you all know how I get on!

Thanks for your help guys - DPFs should be better advertised so people don't get robbed!

I phoned a smaller (ALSO closer!) And they are doing it for £100 + £40 for ECU reset and any extra fluid that might be needed.

What do they mean when the say "and any extra fluid that may be needed"

If you looked on those links I provided, OK we are talking July 09. But in post No2. the guy paid £20 for diagnostic , £110 to top up and reset additive tank.

In post No3. the guy quoted £65 for the additive from Simon, and he was quoted one hour by a Volvo dealer to replace the DPF and top up the additive, and reset. So the top up and reset cannot be more than half that time to do at the outside. So £140 is about what it should be in total including additive.

I have had a similar problem with the DPF on my MK2 Focus 1.6 TDCI

I am about to get the whole thing removed and remapped as it seems like the better longterm option. Its costing a total of £600 to get the part out and the ECU remapped for better fuel efficiency.

Has anyone here done this before? I would be interested to know how it effects the car's performance after.

I have had a similar problem with the DPF on my MK2 Focus 1.6 TDCI

I am about to get the whole thing removed and remapped as it seems like the better longterm option. Its costing a total of £600 to get the part out and the ECU remapped for better fuel efficiency.

Has anyone here done this before? I would be interested to know how it effects the car's performance after.

I'm wanting to do that to my Focus. The thing is i have no idea where to get it done, my friend got his Leon FR's DPF removed and the gains were crazy! He got an extra 40bhp and 80lb/ft of Torque! He didn't have any problems with his except a sensor went due to the heat coming from the exhaust. He get's quite a bit of smoke from his exhaust tho, but not enough to fail his MOT.

As far as I'm aware, the removal of the DPF of it's self isn't a problem, it's the ECU after, apparently there's a possiblilty of files going into a re-generation mode or somethin? (This is me trying to recall what I was told 6 months ago!) Any help or guidence on this issue would be much appriciated!!!

In the normal everyday use of the car "regenerations" happen periodically when the EMS is instructed that the filter is starting to soot up.

Mine does it (DPF regens) even when 70% of my journeys were continuous motorway, I guess because I drive it gently (rarely above 70mph, usually a tad under) on motorways. Was still getting an *average* of 60mpg across *all* driving though.

Mine does it (DPF regens) even when 70% of my journeys were continuous motorway, I guess because I drive it gently (rarely above 70mph, usually a tad under) on motorways. Was still getting an *average* of 60mpg across *all* driving though.

How can you tell when an automatic regen is taking place?

60MPG is fantastic. I was only getting 45MPG on average out of my 2006 1.6TDCi. Are you sure your not in limp mode!!??

60MPG is fantastic. I was only getting 45MPG on average out of my 2006 1.6TDCi. Are you sure your not in limp mode!!??

the leon will see gret gains any car will and as yet hes had no issues as yet the exhaust will not be able to cope with the heat it wasnt designed to take that much so will need uprated and anything near it will need heat wrapped the engine will wear faster as the ecu has been thrown out of kilter and will be overfuelling and eventually the smoke will become bad enough to fail an mot.the dpf removal was an american thing where this stuff doesnt matter they arent tested for smoke as well if you remove the dpf youre ecu will have issues at some point as the regen is programmed in thats where a remap comes in to sort it all out now by this time count in a stainless exhaust add a pro remap etc youre as well replacing the dpf the big problem comes when youre having running issues as no garage will be able to make sense of the readings nor will they know if its related to the dpf being removed so in the end you may need a new dpf anyway to find out if thats the issue

When a regen starts, I notice:

- Worse fuel consumption

- Engine fan is running though I would not expect it to be

- If on light throttle at the time I sometimes notice a brief 'blip' on the throttle, even though I didn't do anything. This issue may be fault now sorted because Ford just updated some (ECU?) software.

And the car runs far too well for it to be in limp home mode!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club