Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uneven Wear On Front Tyres

hawker

Is this a common problem on a Focus?

I parked up last Friday with the wheels turned, and was shocked to notice that the front passenger side tyre on the inside edge was worn down to threads! middle to outside still had about 4mm+ left. I was gutted as I knew I was selling the car over the next few days, but I didnt want to risk the chance of a blow-out or points on the licence+fine in case I was stopped, so bought a new tyre anyway (£47)

I replaced the driver's side tyre only about 4000 miles ago, (i know, ideally tyres should be replaced in pairs, and new tyres should always go on the back, but I'm not exactly flush with cash at the moment, so I only got the one!), and I noticed on the inside edge of that one too had started to wear prematurely (but not quite illegal yet)

I was wondering if this is fairly common?

I've never had any problems with feedback from the steering wheel (well only a very slight vibration, but hardly anything) Methinks a wheel alignment would be needed perhaps.

I parked up last Friday with the wheels turned, and was shocked to notice that the front passenger side tyre on the inside edge was worn down to threads! middle to outside still had about 4mm+ left. I was gutted as I knew I was selling the car over the next few days, but I didnt want to risk the chance of a blow-out or points on the licence+fine in case I was stopped, so bought a new tyre anyway (£47)

I replaced the driver's side tyre only about 4000 miles ago, (i know, ideally tyres should be replaced in pairs, and new tyres should always go on the back, but I'm not exactly flush with cash at the moment, so I only got the one!), and I noticed on the inside edge of that one too had started to wear prematurely (but not quite illegal yet)

I was wondering if this is fairly common?

I've never had any problems with feedback from the steering wheel (well only a very slight vibration, but hardly anything) Methinks a wheel alignment would be needed perhaps.

I had the same problem but not with a focus it was on my clio i got my tracking balanceing done and that sorted it get it checked first tho most garages check tracking etc for free hope this helps. :)

Mines fine, like fiesta_lad says, it's the tracking. A tyre shop will check it free of charge but they usually charge you to put it right. Come on, how many people on being told it's out by the mechanic, will not have it corrected instead opting to let the car eat your tyres.......hence the tracking check is free :D

I had a tyre with a slow puncture fixed [plugged] and the tracking done on the Volvo [because I was offered a free check, whilst having the tyre repaired] It was found to be out slightly :rolleyes: So it cost me £39 in total, I think the tracking was circa £26.

Mind you it's not your problem come Saturday :D The garage will replace that tyre prior to selling it, you could tell them it needs it's tracking checked though.

That Focus is determined to cost you money Paul right up to the end :unsure:

Thought it was probably a tracking issue, although like I said, I've not really had any issues through steering wheel feedback, and the car seems to stay in a straight line quite nicely too.

By the way, whats the difference between getting the tracking done, and having a 4 wheel laser alignment?

Thought it was probably a tracking issue, although like I said, I've not really had any issues through steering wheel feedback, and the car seems to stay in a straight line quite nicely too.

That's why the tread on the inside edge of your tyres wears down without you noticing. I've never had issues with the steering.That's why you usually only find out at pre MOT inspection time.

By the way, whats the difference between getting the tracking done, and having a 4 wheel laser alignment?

I'm betting the cost, having not had it done, seriously though, a question for others that one.

cheers again butty.

Its worth turning your wheels at full lock from time to time (eg. once a month) just to double check.

I certainly will be doing so when I get my Mazda6. This was the one problem I had with my original Mazda6, but at least the wear was on the outside (not inside) of the tyre, so was more easily noticeable.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club