Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Driving Glasses: What's The Forum's Impression?

savcom

What glasses do you (mainly) use for driving?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What glasses do you (mainly) use for driving?

• None - my eyesight is perfect
    • Ordinary non-prescription sunglasses
    • Normal prescription glasses
    • Prescription sunglasses
    • Prescription driving glasses

Having just finished two longish weekend jaunts (600 mile and 400 mile round trips each) I'm wanting to know what's the best cure for eye fatigue (apart from closing them and putting a cucumber slice on each). I seem to get tired achy eyes when looking at sunlight reflecting off windscreens, white skies reflecting off wet roads, low level sun, etc. Even at night, there is strain due to the contrast of light and dark as you drive.

I wear photochromic varifocal glasses normally so would need 'prescription' anything to drive in. The photochromics work wonderfully outside, but don't react in the car at all. My main options seem to be:

and in the three cases, what brands have people tried? what is their efficacy? are the different tints (brown/grey/orange) worthy of consideration?

Thanks fellas

Savcom

I dont require prescription glasses but over the years I have tried many pairs of sunglasses having suffered the same eye fatigue after a long journey.

I have settled on two pairs of sunglasses. I have a pair of Serrengetti glasses with the sedona lenses. These are photochromic and anti glare, but give the clearest image I have ever experienced, even in bright sunshine. These are ideal in fairly bright to very bright conditions. These were the first pair of sunglasses I could wear all day without getting a headache.

The other pair are Police sunglasses which have polorised lenses. These I find really good in extremely bright conditions, and again I dont get a headache from wearing these for long periods of time. However these are not as good as the Serengetti's when it is a little overcast.

I too have photochromic lenses with anti glare as my main choice of glasses, and agree outside they are great, inside the car - they suck! I just have a pair of prescription sunglasses that I have stored in the side pocket and just put them on in really bright conditions. Other than that, I have tried clip on sunglasses, and they work ok, but they are so basic, you really need anti-glare as well as something dark enough to block the height of the bright reflection, and light enough you can see out of them!

unfortunately I wear my glasses permenantly, so cant say I have had too much experience of other methods, overall though the permenant sunglasses I have work brilliant for me. Dont often have a problem doing long drives in them

Thanks for the responses. So the consensus on the two forums I posted on seems to be:

• Avoid Varifocals unless you can get along with them safely
  • Wear prescription sunglasses (with polaroid lenses) for choice on bright days
  • Don't wear sunglasses at night
  • Prisms are not for reducing glare from headlights
  • Don't bother with clip-ons or driving glasses

Unless I've mis-read something.

So that's the way I'll go then.

I'll let you know

Cheers

I too wear photochromic varifocal glasses, find them more than suitable but yes they don't really darken inside the car.

I would think the tired eyes are more to do with the long mileage and concentration needed whilst driving and even with sun glasses you may still find your eyes feel tired. You might like to consider an other option such as a form of 'eye reviver' such as Optrex-Actimist-Eye-Spray.

I would further suggests you don't purchase a pair of orange tinted 'night' glasses - due to the colourised view through the tinted lens you may find your eyes become more tired as you brain makes sense of the 'orange coloured world'.

I drive around 200 miles a day, and if I felt the need I would purchase a set of prescription sunglasses and nothing else.

Incidentally how old are your glasses? As the photo-chromatic does loose it's effectiveness after a couple of years or so.

My photochromics are only about 6 months old, work perfectly outside of the car, but not inside, I suppose the windscreen stops the bulk of the UV that triggers the photochromes.

I ticked ordinary glasses for my vote, primarily they are what I wear, Becuase our english weather means there is not always a suitable environment for sunglasses :P lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club