Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Juddering Please Help

Anderson

Just got myself a fiesta 55 plate ghia. Owned only for a month and few days ago my car was shaking like it was about to stall... And revs kept dropping this mainly occured when i would try to pick up speed at a normal pace. I had to incease speed slowly to avoid juddering. Thenit was fine a few hours later but today it is back. Both times the ar had been left and not used for few days and both times it had been raining the night before and still raining whilst driving , not sure if there is any connections between it.

I have notices anothwr thing. Once the car engine is above say, 50 degrees the juddering is pretty much gone.

Its like not enough fuel is getting to the engine or something. My dad said tye car just needs to be warmed up but surely in ths day an age we dont need to do that anymore? Or am i wrong?

Please help im worried that somthing serious may occur from this by driving it whilst its doing this.

Thanks again

Start it up and sit in it for a few minutes without moving. If you can hear the revs going up slightly without you touching then its probably the heat thing as this is called hunting. How long were you driving it for before it stopped doing it? A modern engine should take no longer than 10 minutes to warm up to its optimimum temperature I believe. The rain will certainly be a factor if this is what it is. If it rained the night before my old 107 used to sound like a diesel for the first 5 minutes of running until it warmed up and ran like it should.

Other point: Is it in any particular gear? As if you are trying to move up in speed in 5th with low revs my car judders (09 plate 1.25) but if I drop to 4th in the same speed it stops as its got more revs.

Have the spark plugs been replaced? (Assuming it's a petrol)

If not, try changing them, I had a similar problem with my MK7, the old ones were coated in soot from where the previous owner had been driving too hard before the engine had properly warmed up, leaving unburned fuel residue all over the plugs. Replacing the spark plugs sorted my hunting out, but it can be caused by many things. My car also juddered when driving, this turned out to be an unrelated fault as changing the spark plugs didn't solve it. However after a long (400 mile) drive the problem has disappeared on it's own, I'm thinking maybe something was getting clogged up possibly fuel or air filter and the drive has blown it out.

I'd suggest replacing spark plugs though, if they haven't been done before they're probably due anyway, and relatively inexpensive.

Good luck.

i would say plugs,leads or coil pack breaking down.

thanks for replying so quickly.

In regards to the questions:

It occurs regardless of gear. I can even in neutral and just sitting there. And the rev counter will just drop down and then back up. It doesn't increase slowly it only drops down a bit then shakes like its gonan stall, then i'm guessing the eletrics and its detectors kick in, and make it increase fuel to the engine to avoid it from stalling.

Also, yes it took about 10mins for the juddering to go away, I drove to work and by time I got there it was pretty much gone. My dad told me to turn off the engine and wait awhile then turn it back on, when it starts doing this from the start but I tried that and it just continued to judder so I'm guessing its something related to it being cold? But I don't understand because, it never did this when I first got it. It's only now?

I too was thinking maybe something has gotten into the pipes or filters or something and driving for a bit pushes it thru? I dunno :S

If spark plugs need changing, is it normal for it to show these kinda signs? My dad is saying its not the spark plugs coz I just bought it... but I'm guessing since the last service was on 55,000 and its now 87,000 that the spark plugs have probably not been changed since that service. :S

Also, what is the offcial time that you should replace cambelt because Its clcoked now at 87,000 and I been told you must get it done at 60,000 in which case it must of been done? it can't lasted this long surely?

Never take for granted that something like the cambelt has been done because its gone past the stated mileage when it should have been done.

Always assume that it hasn't been changed and get it checked.

Its cheaper to get it done than to spend more money to repair or replace the engine if it fails.

There are a lot of drivers out there who are driving on a tight budget and buy a cheap car and then sell iton after a year before something does go wrong.

Check how many previous owners there are, that gives you a clue.

It occurs regardless of gear. I can even in neutral and just sitting there. And the rev counter will just drop down and then back up. It doesn't increase slowly it only drops down a bit then shakes like its gonan stall, then i'm guessing the eletrics and its detectors kick in, and make it increase fuel to the engine to avoid it from stalling.

These were the exact same signs mine were showing.

If spark plugs need changing, is it normal for it to show these kinda signs? My dad is saying its not the spark plugs coz I just bought it... but I'm guessing since the last service was on 55,000 and its now 87,000 that the spark plugs have probably not been changed since that service. :S

Take your spark plugs out and have a look, mine were filthy, a quick clean helped for a week or so, then I decided to replace them and the ignition leads, and problems were solved. Mine was only on 15,000 at the time though. Cars now approaching 17,000 miles and I've almost forgotten about the juddering and lumpy idle problems I had for months!

1owner from new im 2nd owner. Thx for all the tips ill be working flat out till nxt thusday probably so ill get cambelt and plugs looked at then and report bk :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club