Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Tdci 56 Plate - Engine Grinding Noise = Power Steering?

Big_P

hey all, really confused with this one. any help would be great

bought this car end of november and it wouldn't start when i got it home.

its taken me 7 weeks to get it going with a new starter motor

when you start the car, theres an immediate metalic grinding noise coming from the drivers side off the engine.

its rather loud and embarrassing at lights etc

when stationary, if you turn the wheel left or right even just an inch and HOLD it in position (so the steering wheel isn't in the "relaxed" postion) the noise is dramatically reduced and almost gone completely and you can here the engine again - but if you let go of the steering wheel and let it return to its normal resting position, it starts immediately.

there is also a notch/clunk in the steering wheel when turning the wheel.

i've tried googling this for the past couple of days

the notching while turning the steering wheel is common by the looks of it but i haven't found a solution - some say could be steering rack, some say could be power steering pump

the engine grinding noise, i've not found online

there is plenty of results coming up saying that when you turn the steering wheel, a noise developes and goes when you stop turning wheel - mines opposite to that lol

the answers to that issue was check the fluid level.....my level is at the max line/just below max

BUT

there is a leak of PSF - i'm not sure where its coming from but its dripping onto the floor near drivers wheel - only when engine is on

i checked the fluid level last night and it was well below minimum, i topped it up to max and it made no difference to the noise.

what could this be?

im too skint to take it to a garage and don't want to get fleeced by having expensive things replaced. if i knew what it was, i would take it to the garage to get it sorted and tell him what it was, instead of him telling me an array of things it is with a look on his face, that makes me think i need to re-mortgage the house ! lol

thanks

Hi mate, it sounds like you've been really unlucky with cars (I read your introduction thread). The noise you are describing sounds very, very similar to the noise my granddad had on his 2000 diesel Mondeo. There wasn't any fluid leaks (not that he noticed anyway) but in the end he decided to replace the pump. Managed to source a refurbished unit on eBay, and I fitted it for him. The noise was all gone until the starter motor went too, and like you explained in your first thread it was the flywheel and DMF (dual mass flywheel). I wasn't very confident taking on that job for him, no access to ramps and I only have basic tools - so he took it to Ford and paid a little over £1,000. But that's not related by the sounds of it, and you'd probably know if it was something like this as you've experienced it previously.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club