Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pats Programming Ford

John Sew Hoy

Hi all,

Got a Ford Fiesta 2011 and trying to program a 3rd spare key.

Unfortuantely when I plug in the third key, the red led flashes continously.

Any ideas I've tried to program the PATS with the 3rd key but it won't accept it.

Anyone has issues before trying to program the 3rd key?

Thanks

John

How did you program the PATS. It has to be done via IDS. The whole master key programming went out in about 2002

How did you program the PATS. It has to be done via IDS. The whole master key programming went out in about 2002

Wrong.

From 2002 (Mk6) onwards you could code a 3rd key using 2 other keys.

"

Read more: How to Program Ford Ignition Keys | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6877070_program-ford-ignition-keys.html#ixzz1mjt8FhrL"

• Insert one working key into your ignition and cycle the key to the "On" position and back to the "Off" position.

Remove the first key and insert a second key within five seconds to cycle it from "On" to "Off."`

Insert your new key within 10 seconds of removing the second key and turn it to the "On" position.

Leave the key in the "On" position for one second and return it to the "Off" position. The secrity light will light up to indicate successful programming.

Hi all,

Got a Ford Fiesta 2011 and trying to program a 3rd spare key.

Unfortuantely when I plug in the third key, the red led flashes continously.

Any ideas I've tried to program the PATS with the 3rd key but it won't accept it.

Anyone has issues before trying to program the 3rd key?

Thanks

John

The constant flashing is the PATS rejecting the key as the transponder is not recognised.

Self programming may work but i often have cause to use Auto Locksmiths in the course of my duty to help stranded drivers who lose keys etc.

The manual key programming was a standard thing until late 2002 on all the Ford range but after that it was an option that Ford could activate / deactivate via the OBD.

Mostly rental / fleet cars had this deactivated so as to avoid people producing their own keys so as to allow theft or access to cars when no longer theirs.

The car i have now was an ex MOD fleet car and due to this the option was turned off, when i added a spare flip key it wouldn't programme via ignition so i called one of my Auto Locksmith contacts and he did it mates rates (£30) with no problem.

You may find that Ford routinely turn this option off now so that you would have to go to them to add / replace keys.

If you can't get your spare key to programme to the PATS just use a good local Auto Locksmith, they will come to you and programme the key via the OBD and will charge a lot less than Ford will.

• Like 1

I have 2 of the original keys (1 is a remote fob, 2nd is just a chip key no remote).

So I wanted a 2nd fob ordered the same model number three button remote.

When I plug in the new key into the engine the red light is flashing rapidly.

Even if I try to attempt to program the 3rd key to PATS, it's not accepted.

So my only theory is that the new cars have this option disabled to add your own spare keys.

I'm due for a free service shortly so I will ask them if they don't mind programming my third key. Only reason I didn't want to go through the dealership is they were wanting to charge a high

price to obtain a third fob and program.

The other reason is that perhaps the transponder chip is different. I might take it to the same locksmith who cut my spare key to check what type of chip it is. (The fob key model numbers are both identical though).

Another hint is that in my car manual guide, it doesn't have any guidelines to program PATS it mentions to contact the dealer in this case. Perhaps it's because mine just a standard model as well and only came with 1 remote FOB. The manual guide does mention how to program the RKE (so I can use the key to unlock/lock doors).

Thanks for your help

OBD programming sounds like your only option then.

Ford charge silly money and don't like self bought keys mainly due to the fact they don't get the money off you.

Any garage with the correct software should be fine.

Thanks all for the hints. I'll first try the auto locksmith to see if they can program the 3rd key.

If not then I have no choice but to see my dealer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club