Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can I Run My Focus 2003 1.8 Tddi On Biodeisel ?

Richardhart90

Hello everyone !

I have a Focus 2003 1.8 tddi and wondered if i can run it on biodiesel as i have a biodiesel branch nearby ?

If i can is there anything i need to do ? ie start off using 10%,20% mix and blend it in slowly or can i fill up with 50 or 100 % biodiesel straighaway?

And i believe you have to change the fuel filter regulary - how often ?

Apreciate any help.

Cheers

Rich

Hey,

In EU, you already use biodiesel ;) straight from the pump (i think it is about 7% now). In theory you can use 100% biodiesel with no conversion, but you could go and ask the dealer. I think you may need some additives but i am not 100% sure about that.

Also, what do you mean change the fuel filter regularly ? you have to change that regularly no matter what king of fuel you use so ... maybe you meant more often ?

ford say 5percent max bio diesel its not advised to run common rail diesel engines on pure biodiesel or are we talking veg oil?

problems are the bacteria in biodiesel turning it to sludge the injectors will block the fuel filters clog lack of lubrication to the engine in short no you cant

veg oil only works on old diesel engines, new engines won't accept that :)

As for biodiesel, from the pump, that is treated ... so it won'create bacteria. The one you make at home has to be aditivated in order to kill bacteria.

Being an organic product ... if you don't use aditives, germs will appear :) in diesel and petrol at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

ford say 5percent max bio diesel its not advised to run common rail diesel engines on pure biodiesel or are we talking veg oil?

veg oil only works on old diesel engines, new engines won't accept that :)

OP has a TDDi - so it's not common rail - but old technology (much cheaper injectors and pumps :-))

much cheaper yes but i still would be cautious if its an old banger then it doesnt matter but if its youre pride and joy i wouldnt do it without expert advice

I seem to recall that the injectors, and fuel pump on the TDDI were too narrow a tolerance to cope with veg oil, or a heavy percentage "biofuel".

I make my own biofuel for my 1995 Ford Freda (2.5 TDI). The initial "fuel switch" advises a gentle graduakl increase in the ratio of veg oil to diesel, 25-30% veggy being a "safe limit". Further advise was that a new fuel filter be fitted BEFORE switching to biofuel, then another new filter be fitted once a comfortable veg/diesel ratio was acheived, then normal filter changes after that. The addition of veg oil really does clear out all the old carbon deposits in the engine, and also clears out the entire fuel system, hence the need for another filter once the engine had been "biofuel conditioned"...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club