Do Not Sell My Personal Information

! Guide ! Fitting An Engine Cover To The 1.6 Tdci 90Ps Non-Dpf 2008 To Mid-2010 Fiesta

alexp999

As many of you may know, the Fiesta 1.6 TDCi 90PS (non-DPF) between 2008 and mid 2010, did not come with an engine cover fitted. After that, some of the new 95PS engines did, but as the engine changed to SOHC at that time, the cover will not fit our DOHC 90 PS, non-DPF versions.

Despite having a Diesel, I actually do a lot of short journeys and I decided to set about seeing if I could get an engine cover fitted to help my car warm up a bit quicker, especially during winter, so as to help engine wear. After a lot of researching, discussion with members in the Focus section on here and a bit of experimentation, I'm pleased to say I found a way!

The key to finding one which will fit, was in the fact that the DOHC 1.6 TDCI 90PS engine, is the same one which was fitted to the MK2/2.5 Focus and 2007-2010 C-Max. With the right parts and a bit of trimming we can make this fit the Fiesta. It's not just cosmetic advantages either, it noticeably gets warmer quicker and has made the engine a little quieter from inside the car too. Enough background though, onto the guide!

NOTICE: Please read the guide in full and only attempt this if your fully confident you know what you are doing. I take no responsibility should anything happen to your car as a result.

First you need to get your hands on all the parts, I picked the cover up on eBay which came with the rubber grommet, but you are unlikely to get the bolts and nuts from anywhere but a Ford parts dealer.

1x 1684950 (engine cover)
1x 1556734 (rubber grommet)
1x 1347930 (left stud/bolt)
1x 1449591 (right stud/bolt)
2x 1364348 (nuts)

If you do pick up the cover on eBay, make sure it is the latest version, with the ridges on it, the older versions are bigger and will be even more difficult (if not impossible) to fit to the Fiesta.

Once you have all the parts you will want to fit the two bolts, at first glance, you may assume the bolts go in the white grommets, this is not the case, the bolts actually have to replace two of the existing bolts on the engine. Take the existing bolts out and replace them with the new stud, one side at a time (with the engine off!) and make sure they are nice and tight. You can see the location for these two bolts in the pictures below, (left and right is when viewing the car from the front)

Left bolt:
thumb_tng_1352997071__img_20121115_14183

Right bolt:
thumb_tng_1352997108__img_20121115_14185

Make sure you fit the grommet to the underside of the cover, it just slides into place. You will also want to identify the bracket which the grommet grabs on to:
thumb_tng_1353013918__img_20121115_14190

Now you will need to do some cutting. There are three places the cover will foul in its current state, but with a bit of care you can make it clear easily (its worth offering it up a few times and adjusting as needed):
thumb_tng_1353014136__img_20121115_14194 thumb_tng_1353014146__img_20121115_14195 thumb_tng_1353014153__img_20121115_14200 thumb_tng_1353014231__img_20121115_14220 thumb_tng_1353014241__img_20121115_14220 thumb_tng_1353014249__img_20121115_14222

Then when you are all done trimming and happy that there is enough clearance for the engine to move about a bit, pop it in place, push down over the bracket to engage the rubber grommet then do up the nuts to hold the cover in place. You do not want to over-tighten these, I simply did them as tight as my fingers could get them. The last thing you want is for the whole stud to start moving as you have done the nuts up too tight.

You should then end up with something like this!

tng_1353014302__img_20121115_142242.jpg

Excellent guide,

Here are pictures of the old 1.6TDCi Cover and the newer cover.

12669hh.jpg

47139296.jpg

IMG_20121118_195138.jpg

The ball joint bracket the fits above the fuel filter housing and grips the rubber grommet in the engine cover,

Is yours made of metal?

The ball joint bracket the fits above the fuel filter housing and grips the rubber grommet in the engine cover,

Is yours made of metal?

Mine is made of metal yeah

Mine is made of metal yeah

Thanks Alex,

For this great guide and information,

I have finally fitted my 1.6TDCi engine cover today after keeping it up in the attic since its purchase in November 2010

Its great to have it finally where it belongs,

I didnt have the fuel filter bracket fitted to my engine as standard, so i purchased it from ford but when i attempted to fit it ive found that i dont have the bolts neither

So i have fitted the cover using the two replacment bolts and the nuts, its holding 100% and i wont ever be standing on top of it or applying any weight so i dont think the fuel filter support bracket is really that important if not fitted,

Because the engine cover doesnt make any contact with the filter housing it just spans over it like a roof.

Looks good fitted and does reduce engine noise from outside the car,

I havent driven it on the road yet to know if any difference in sound is felt inside the car too.

But outside it leaves the engine quieter so as the exhaust grunt can be heard better.

IMG_20121129_003331.jpg

• 6 years later...

Sorry to bring back a old thread but I'm wondering if you still have the guide pics for this?

thanks 

• 1 year later...

Good morning I'm having great problems trying to find a engine cover for a 2009 Ford fiesta tdic 1.6, have tired eBay so many times but cannot find one ! And then found out they didn't do one for my model ...but can i get one anyway just to keep the engine warm plus make it quicker ! I would appreciate any help please Jan.

3 hours ago, Janet Henry said:

Good morning I'm having great problems trying to find a engine cover for a 2009 Ford fiesta tdic 1.6, have tired eBay so many times but cannot find one ! And then found out they didn't do one for my model ...but can i get one anyway just to keep the engine warm plus make it quicker ! I would appreciate any help please Jan.

Hi 

Heres one but needs a good clean; 

When Shopping ensure the rubber grommets are present in both holes of the cover which will save you the bother of searching for them separately 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-1-6-DIESEL-TOP-ENGINE-PLASTIC-COVER-5M5Q-6N041-AE-2007-2008-2011/202955803288?epid=1509815536&hash=item2f411bca98:g:BTIAAOSwPp9eiHq8 

It wont make it quicker; 

Perhaps blank the Egr value or have it remapped; or upgrade the turbo and injectors all available here: https://nbstyling.co.uk/product-category/cars/ford/page/2/